• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns for a lead player

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xCornStar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Horns for a lead player Reply with quote

I'm an undergrad student, in my freshman year who plays lead. I would like to get a new horn after using the same one for the past 4-5 years. I use a Schilke B1 but it's a little banged up and will use at as my marching horn once I get the next one. What are some recommendations for someone who will focus mostly on Jazz/lead playing?
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SChilke B2 or if you can play a large bore (.463 bore), a Schilke B3.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Schilke X-4 for awhile. It was an outstanding trumpet. The X-4 is essentially a B-1 with a .468" bore built around their X valve block. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who plays lead in a live band. Also, the B-3 with a Beryllium bell is, I think, the best sound for a lead trumpet from the Schilke lineup. I wonder if they'd ever make a .468" version...

A Burbank or Benge 6X-CG is also a terrific horn for lead. These are also .468-.470" bore trumpets. If you get a Benge or older Burbank, check them over for valve alignment and stretched mouthpiece receivers. A few weeks ago, Michael Thomas had the last new Burbank 6X-CG in stock. You might look into it.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good choices in addition to the typical Schilkes (B4, B5, B6.)
Bach 43 or 72 lightweight, Selmer K-mods, Yamaha EM or LA ...
Even Connstellations if you can acclimate to the blow and don't mind their valves.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Calicchio 1s/2 was designed to produce a projecting commercial sound. For the quintessential big band lead trumpet sound it's been the standard for decades.

Schilke doesn't make anything that matches it (I own a B1L, B5LB, B6LB (the Bill Chase Model) and a B7L. I used to own an X-4. I also own a Calicchio 1s/2. There's no comparison between the Calicchio and any of the Schilke's for that lead trumpet sound.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Bach Commercial trumpet. My preference is the large bore model, but your mileage may vary.

Take care,
Marc Speed
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many real good horns are mentioned above , my advice is to find a store that you can try as many is possible, go with a friend (trumpet player) and let him hear you , some horns sounds better in front of the bell , spend as more time you can and choose the one is best for you , good luck.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

i played the Bach Strad 72/43 for 8 years, then and currently the 6310Z for 18, and waiting for the new 8310Z that has my preference.
I'll add that one year ago, i tried the Bach Commercial, and found it'd the nice and big sound of the Strad, being easier too.

the choice is yours, depending on your physical capacities, developpment and taste...

best
trane1959
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach 72/43 for a lot of years, then moved on to a 1976 CG Benge, and am now extremely happy with my ML Bach Commercial in lacquer. I can't play Large bore instruments as mentioned above personally.

Last edited by trane1959 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, the best two horns for commercial use (that work for me) are
Calicchio and Benge. I prefer the 1s7 and 2x+ models respectively...
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times I’ve heard someone play an Adams A5 I really liked the sound. I’ve read that the A5 is somewhat Benge/Callichio-like.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the Getzen Severinsen. Yes/No? I sat next to Larry Ford, at that time former lead for the North Texas One O'clock Lab Band, Woody Herman and others, and he played a Getzen.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Horns for a lead player Reply with quote

Hello all,
Might have to do some playing and listening. Take a person with you when you are horn shopping and have them sit across the room. Old Benge CG's, Bach 43's and Calicchios would top my list. I had a 1S and had a 2,7 and 9 pipe. The 9 pipe worked better for me...A little more open the the other two. personally I could never get a medium bore to work for me as in S42, B4,6,7, 2X+ or 8310's. I like B2's and settled on an S33HD as it has more core. Bach commercials came out, and after a year started to be sold. So, you really need to go play for yourself. After playing a B1, you aren't going to be comfortable with too much resistance. I did not see anyone mention the Yamaha LA...Probably just missed it. Then there are those who like the X3/4's...Large bores. Too many thoughts..Go play. PM me if you want to talk about B2's.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have so many different choices that it is really kind of futile asking us which are our favorites. You haven’t mentioned what your price range is, or whether you plan to buy a new or used instrument. The horn you’re currently playing is an excellent trumpet, and if you like the way it plays you might want to stick with Schilke or Yamaha. If you want to go in a different direction you’re going to have to test as many trumpets as you can, including all that have been mentioned so far and others, too. Yamaha, Bach, Callicchio, Getzen, Kanstul, Carolbrass, Eastman - just about anyone here could name probably 50 good lead trumpets off of the top of their head.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion to have someone sitting across the room as you play test horns is an excellent idea. As someone who has played Schilkes for more than 20 years and has owned or currently owns B1's, B2's, B3's, B5's, B6's, S22's and X3's, I find for playing lead, the medium bells of the B2 and B3 work the best. I have played a B3 as my principal commercial horn for over 20 years after originally playing a B1. My son went from a B1 to a B2 when he found himself playing a lot of lead. I found the large bells on the B1 and X3 sound great, but for me, the sound tends to spread and not cut through as well as the medium bells. Check out the Schilke website and familiarize yourself with the specs of the various models.

As much as Schilkes work great for me, they don't work for everybody. The suggestions previously mentioned are all good ones. Don't limit yourself. Try as many horns as you can so that you can make an informed decision.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an unexpected story:

When Flip Oakes was introducing his revised Wild Thing with its copper bell and #43 lead pipe, he took one up to Arturo to see what he thought. Many of us have seen Arturo playing that trumpet to open up a Dodger game (I think).

According to Flip, Arturo proclaimed the new Wild Thing, "The best lead horn ever built."

Go figure. So, if you play like Arturo Sandoval, consider a coper Wild Thing for lead playing!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a "different strokes for different folks" thing. In Schilke: Bill Chase and Jon Faddis played the B6 and then B6Lb. Jon went later to the S42 and most recently the HD43. Roger Ingram played aan S42 tricked out by Dr. Valve before joining Jupiter with his own medium bore horn (1600i). MIke Vax (Stan Kenton Orch.) and Forrest Buchtel Jr. (Woody Herman Orch) played the B3. When I met Leon Merian, he was playing a B2. Chicago lead man, Boris Steffan played a B7L. Arturo's first Schilke was a "Yamalloy) B1 to an X3 to a Holton clone of the X3 to a Wild Thing. LA studio lead man, Rick Baptist has played a B5 for his entire career. Disney (Orlando) lead man Mark Zauss plays X4s.

The Yamaha Custom 8335LA and 8310Z (a decendent of the Schilke B6) are also very popular.

You could even have your B1 overhauled and converted to a B1L and have a #3 (B2) bell in addition and or a #2 (B5) bell as well.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've already recommended the Bach Commercial, I'll give a second one for the Getzen Severinsen. I have to tell you, the new Eterna Deluxe Getzen has just come out with is pulling at my heart strings - and my billfold!

Take care,
Marc Speed
xCornStar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
You have so many different choices that it is really kind of futile asking us which are our favorites. You haven’t mentioned what your price range is, or whether you plan to buy a new or used instrument.

As of now, I don't have a price range, but my birthday is coming up and I just asked all my family for some cash towards a new horn, add in the fact I'll be working throughout the whole summer, I will have a decently sized budget. And whether it's new or used, doesn't really matter to me, I just came here to get what people recommend so I can try them all out.
I live around the DC area so I'll be going to Chuck Levin's to try things out, and possibly Baltimore Brass, any other places in the DC/Northern Virginia area you all know about and could recommend would be helpful.

JVL wrote:
depending on your physical capacities, developpment and taste

Lead playing is what I enjoy the most. I'm an 18 year old (soon to be 19) in my first year of college with a double C range that I would like to increase.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re on the right track. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: