• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Trumpets with the most Feedback

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: New Trumpets with the most Feedback Reply with quote

(NOTE: When I initially wrote this post I was thinking about new trumpets and feedback in an amplified setting. I think almost all the horns I listed or that have been added to this discussion are excellent lead horns. These are brighter sounding trumpets and I'm trying to learn more about their feedback characteristics.

Sound reflectors, monitors, microphones, IEM equipment, etc. are also being discussed. I welcome this exchange of ideas as any useful information that relates to feedback in general is very helpful.)

I'm considering the purchase of a new trumpet to use when I play with loud amplified instruments, i.e. rock or funk bands, etc. I don't want to go the used or vintage route with this one.

I'm currently using my raw brass Bach 43 which works good, but I could still use more feedback. I'm getting good feedback now, especially when I use a sound back on my mic stand. I'm thinking though I'd like more feedback if possible and feedback is my highest priority for this new trumpet.

I'm considering the following trumpets. Please respond if you have used these trumpets in an amplified setting and can speak to the level of feedback in comparison with some of the other horns. There's no way I'll be able to try all of these on the gig and I want to narrow the field down.

Bach Commercial Standard/Lightweight (5" Bell)
B&S Exquisite EXB (Malcolm McNabb, M bore .444)
Shires Destino III (M bore .454)
Shires CVLA-M (M bore .454)
Stomvi VR II Standard/Lightweight (5.25" Big Bell, polybore)
Schilke B6BL (5" Bell, M step bore .450)
Schilke S43HDL (M step bore .450)
Schilke S43HDL-F (5" Bell, M step bore .450)
Blackburn Commercial
Blackburn Jericho Standard/Lightweight
Yamaha YTR-8310Z II (Latest Bobby Shew, 5" Bell, M step bore .445)
Calicchio 1s/2 or 1s/7 or 1s/9 (M bore .453, will leadpipe change feedback?)
Charley Davis 1s/2 or 1s/7 or 1s/9 or CD (M bore .453)
Scodwell Standard Las Vegas

Note: Some of the trumpets on this list are available in larger bore sizes. I listed the medium bore sizes only because this is my preference.

It probably won't be easy to figure this out. But yeah, I want the most feedback possible! Please feel free to comment and suggest other new horns that you think I should consider.

Last edited by uglylips on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:13 pm; edited 11 times in total
StricklandMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely understand the frustration of playing together with instruments that have volume knobs. Half my professional playing is in high energy groups with electronic amplified instruments.

From my personal experiences, playing a trumpet with a larger bell helps me get quicker feed back when in these situations. I currently play a Van Laar B3 which has a 130mm or roughly 5 1/4" bell. It's lighter weight compared to Hub's other trumpets with larger sized bells. I would also recommend trying his OIRAM IV the lightest in the OIRAM series.

Also, not necessarily answering the question of what trumpet to try but if you like your current horn; have you considered using in ear monitors? For me they make a huge difference.

Hope this helps and good luck!
www.gregblackmouthpieces.com
www.eastcoasttrumpets.com
www.vanlaartrumpets.nl
1 (980)-277-8195
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll have to consider the Van Laar. I don't know much about these trumpets.

An in ear monitor could change everything. Is it possible to get a feed direct from your mic without the sound guy changing the mix or turning your mic off?

I talked to Mike at Schilke and he suggested the B6B. He explained that the bell bead on the B series is unsoldered as opposed to soldered on the S series and that an unsoldered bead will provide more feedback.
jcoffey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stomvi VRII (either lightweight or big bell) is right up your alley. I would also consider the S3.

Bb- Shires AZ, Bach 180S37
C- Bach 190/229/25M
Picc- Shires 9G
Eb/D- Shires 6MS8 Y6H
Rotary C- Schagerl Horsdorf Heavy
Pickett/Vennture/Breslmair Mouthpieces
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglylips wrote:

An in ear monitor could change everything. Is it possible to get a feed direct from your mic without the sound guy changing the mix or turning your mic off?

There's lots of products for doing this. For one example, look at the Rolls PM50se - it "intercepts" your mic line and also has an input for the (unpowered) stage monitor feed. The two sources are mixed and sent to your IEM. Two knobs let you adjust the balance, so you can have "more me."

Bonus, if you get good sealed IEMs you can actually be hearing less volume on stage, protecting your hearing.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards X-13 maybe?
Still a rare instrument around here, but from what I've heard on Youtube it might suit your needs.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if a larger bell diameter necessarily correlates with more feedback to the player. Some say yes others say no. Here's a thread from a post that indicates 4 5/8" bell diameter is optimal for feedback.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=939459

Also thread on bell bead and feedback:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94725&highlight=

And the cutting lead horns thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126238&highlight=cutting+lead+horns[/url]

Last edited by uglylips on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
There's lots of products for doing this. For one example, look at the Rolls PM50se - it "intercepts" your mic line and also has an input for the (unpowered) stage monitor feed. The two sources are mixed and sent to your IEM. Two knobs let you adjust the balance, so you can have "more me."

Bonus, if you get good sealed IEMs you can actually be hearing less volume on stage, protecting your hearing.

Thank you, this could work too. I'm going to look into good IEMs. Any recommendations?
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used custom made IEMS from Ultimate Ears. They are pricey, but they sound great, and they are comfortable.

My experience is that some of the quality off-the-shelf IEMs sound fine. I've used some Shures and I like them. Frankly, I didn't notice a ton of difference in the SOUND of the Shure off-the-shelf ones and the Ultimate Ears custom ones. The difference is how good the Ultimate Ears IEMs FEEL.

Custom IEMs start with a trip to an audiologist who will make a mold of your ears. You send that mold to the IEM manufacturer. When you receive the IEMs, they fit your ears perfectly, assuming the audiologist knows what they are doing. One of my bandmates sent his molds off the third time before the manufacturer accepted them. My memory is that the audiologist didn't make the molds deep enough. I recall that Ultimate Ears required that the molds go past the first bend in the ear canal.

Take care,
Marc Speed
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this been overlooked, or did I miss it? What's wrong with using amplification and monitors?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Henson813p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,

So I have used a lightweight 43, standard 43, lightweight 72, and standard 72 in various settings like you describe over the years and always went back to the lightweight 72 at least in the realm of Bach.

Calicchio 1s/2 I used for a year but didn't really sit well with how I wanted to sound and didn't get a good feedback.

Can't speak too much about the Schilkes you listed but I used an S32 for a good while which was a FUN horn. Worked really well in a rock setting, very bright, very cutting, could hear myself pretty well.

I also briefly tried the new Bach Commcercial (LT190L1B) as a trial period last year. Was OK but honestly felt a little stuffy right above the staff. I probably needed more time with it I guess. Feedback was just like any other Bach I have played.

Another really cool horn I got to try out in California was the Kanstul 1601. This was a contender when I was trying out horns for the longest time. Cool horn, light, very responsive, and great feedback back to my face.

I currently use a Warburton 335 if you wanted to add something new to the list. They have some killer horns. Been using it for a few months and I get great response and feedback if I am in a loud funk band and rock band.

If I could also suggest a Soundback?

http://www.soundback.com/Adjustable_2.0.php

This helps SO much if you are in a loud mic setting. Pop the mic in and you don't have to blow your freaking head off to be heard. The shield will get enough sound back to your ears.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure that you haven't really combined 2 separtate issues. I agree that some instruments provide a little more feedback to the player vs. others; this is one of the things I do have experience with, specifically Yamaha's vs Bach But this is a long story - I just say that my experience has been that I get more accoustic feedback from the Bach's I play (have played) vs. the several Yamaha's I played in various USAF bands.

But I think the difference is slight enough that in a loud environment the difference will be negligable, and easily overcome with other applications - i.e. a sound back shield on or near your microphone.

Recently, I've purchased a clip-on mic. and found that in comparison to playing with one on a stand, I then can move around a bit, still give a consistent feed to the board, but find I can hear myself better. Possibly becasue I'm not pointing the bell at a mic that has nothing but the room behind it, vs. a little bit at stands, cabinets, and other things on stage that reflect my sound. + a much more comfortable, relaxed playing posture.

I will say that I love what the Bach Commercial trumpet does for me. The other awesome trumpets are Shires Destino III, and Blackburn's Commercial or Jericho. What I'll add is that one reason I went with the Bach (beyond my history of playing Bach's) was for the price of one of those I bought two new Bachs (the Commercial and a new AP190 picc.)

I'd suggest you find a trumpet that you love - sound, response, feel, etc.. then deal with the feedback thing separately.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henson813p wrote:

If I could also suggest a Soundback?

http://www.soundback.com/Adjustable_2.0.php

This helps SO much if you are in a loud mic setting. Pop the mic in and you don't have to blow your freaking head off to be heard. The shield will get enough sound back to your ears.

Soundback is a very good product, I like it but sound techs LOVE it because she makes their work much easier.

In the impressive list of horns you mentioned I messed just one: Getzen Eterna 900, a very effective axe, will solve your problem
2many5s

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Edwards X-13 maybe?
Still a rare instrument around here, but from what I've heard on Youtube it might suit your needs.

+1
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I have played trumpets with outstanding player feedback and also horns with next to no feedback. The funny thing is that some trumpets of the exact same model and year of manufacture came out very different in this aspect. Why? I have no idea.

The "how" is a little easier. Maybe. I have walked around a player while they were playing and I could identify a point where the sound seemed to emanate, a point of focus, if you will. If that point was inside the horn, close to the player, he heard a brilliant range of sound. If the point of focus was in front of the horn, the player heard much less and it usually sounded dark, meaning much fewer high frequencies got to the player. Most horns have a focus point inside the bell throat where the player hears a good representation of his sound and the timbre of the horn isn't affected; either by being too brilliant (outside the bell) or dark and muffled (inside the horn near the valves).

Then there are the anomalous instruments that defy all of the patterns. Take my beloved Benge 5X of years gone by. That horn produced a surround-sound presence that gave good accurate feedback and yet filled any size space with the exact same sound in all directions. I have no idea how or why, but it did. If you could find that particular instrument, I'd say snap it up!

But there is one more aspect of this puzzle. The mouthpiece. I have a collection of them, like many members here. Some, I bought in sets of three to experiment with bore sizes. Out of one of these sets, there was one CG3 that caused whatever trumpet I put it in to project feedback much better than the other two "matched" pieces. How? Why? Who can say!

You just have to look until you find what you want and then buy it.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Has this been overlooked, or did I miss it? What's wrong with using amplification and monitors?

The sound guy. It's rare if they ever get my monitor mix close to anything beneficial for hearing myself.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Soundback is a very good product, I like it but sound techs LOVE it because she makes their work much easier.

As a former live sound engineer, I'd have to say that I hated it, because it made trumpets sound like #*$&(*$. Those things seriously mess with the frequency response of the microphone. They can make you sound like you're playing in a barrel. But I guess high sound pressure level is more important than sound quality for some people. Or easy is more important than sound quality.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Manuel de los Campos wrote:

As a former live sound engineer, I'd have to say that I hated it, because it made trumpets sound like #*$&(*$. Those things seriously mess with the frequency response of the microphone. They can make you sound like you're playing in a barrel. But I guess high sound pressure level is more important than sound quality for some people. Or easy is more important than sound quality.

I've used the Soundback for many gigs. I can't recall it having such a negative effect. I think I even remember some sound guys saying that it improved the sound. I'll have to look into this further. Perhaps it has to do with the microphone too. I usually use a Shure Beta 57 and sometimes a SM58. Thanks for the information mm55.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
As a former sound engineer, I'd have to say that I hated it

Maybe that is because you are a former live sound engineer? Over here in the Netherlands they like it a lot. No more feedback with monitors, no more trumpet in the other microphones. We trumpet players can play much softer since we finally hear ourselves. The musicians in front of us are happy as well: Soundback for president!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have notice that I get the best feedback from horns with French bead bell , that is my feel and I wonder if you guys have a similar experience.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: