• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you play when trying out a new horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: What do you play when trying out a new horn Reply with quote

Good Evening;

Just curious, what do you play when you try out a new horn? Scales, studies, etudes, something that is difficult, something that is easy, a mixture? Do you expect the horn you're trying out to do something different than what you currently have, or do you expect it to do the same things, only easier?

Thanks,
D
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening. I test articulation for response, very soft, medium volume and loud. I check octaves to see if the intonation seems good. I play scales to see if the instrument has even timbre and color from note to note. And I play in the upper register to see if the horn has the kind of resistance I like. I play into a recording device so I can playback and check how it sounds out front.

It's tempting to play only easy stuff because you don't want others to hear you struggle with something or make a mistake (gasp!). But it's better to test a few things near the edge of your ability to see how the horn works for you in those circumstances. This helps you avoid a situation where you go ahead and buy an instrument that seemed good with easy playing then find that it's a bear to play on difficult pieces.

I look for a horn that sounds great, is easy to play and well-built to a high standard of quality.
Piccolo Stomvi
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something we did at the old shop before moving to KC. I hope you find this useful!

Link

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you play when trying out a new horn Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:

what do you play when you try out a new horn?

I just start on DoubleC and go up chromatically for 2 or 3 octaves ... Oh wait... just woke up... must have been dreaming!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you play when trying out a new horn Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Evening;

Just curious, what do you play when you try out a new horn? Scales, studies, etudes, something that is difficult, something that is easy, a mixture? Do you expect the horn you're trying out to do something different than what you currently have, or do you expect it to do the same things, only easier?

Thanks,
D

I have a standard procedure! 1) scanning for signs of "being out of tune with itself" - compensation needed? Octaves;C#; E below G top of staff (flat??) etc. 2)playing second movement Hayden Trumpet Concerto in order to get some ideas about the sound quality 3) some excerpts from Hummel (tadadatada...) to test the "agility", response to tongueing 4)Bunnys version of I can´t get started to get some ideas about the general feeling, response slurring etc - and how about the high Eb in the end....easy or not (my own contribution rather constant...... )

I´ve learned that resistance is a crucial variable so I try to compare horns in this respect - pairing it with my own preference - not doing that has taught me a lesson.. A horn can be too easy..... The sound quality is very important to me - should be warm, rich, pronounced "core"(="marrow") "full of life", a broad spectrum. Absolutely not "shrill"! "Full of life" difficult concept - maybe "vibrant" as opposed to "dead"? My faithful old King seems to have reached the non-vibrant state...at least in comparison with the new Yamaha RC.
Yes and easier
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you play when trying out a new horn Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good Evening;

Thanks,
D

I try to do a practice session I’m very familiar with, Clarke, etc. and see how it compares to my play horn. I look for ease of blow and that the resistance is right for me or gives me something that improves clarity in my range. I don’t look at the upper range till last thing but I would always try my limit to see how it compared to current. Over the last 5 years I purchased about 40 good horns in hope of finding one I loved. I ended up with some preferences - because I was exposed to so many horns i wanted a solid silver bell (super 20) interchangeable leadpipe (various) and rings vs saddle with precise spacing. This gave me all I wanted in a horn and when I found Eclipse at ITG and talked to Leigh and saw the workmanship And played his stuff I was convinced he would build a perfect horn for me. He did and I’m so happy I went thru the process of finding exactly what I wanted. I’d put this horn up against anything out there with confidence.
Rod
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you play when trying out a new horn Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
dkwolfe wrote:

what do you play when you try out a new horn?

I just start on DoubleC and go up chromatically for 2 or 3 octaves ... Oh wait... just woke up... must have been dreaming!

Nah, I've heard you at NAAM!

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:
I hope you find this useful!
This! Many great points here...much to be said about the "feel" and "response" of a horn.
Also important to get opinions (if you can) about what your sound is to others versus
what you hear. And like Trent said, play the same exact thing (excerpts, scales, slurs)
for a consistent comparison.
dkwolfe wrote:
Do you expect the horn you're trying out to do something different than what you currently have, or do you expect it to do the same things, only easier?
Both. The perfect balance of player, mouthpiece, and horn produces maximum efficiency
which enhances everything, especially sound!
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to go into music shops with my wife. I play a smokey version of 'Someone to Watch Over Me' which she finds sexy and we have a laugh. Usually the shop assistants are surprised to hear someone who can actually play testing a horn. Then we leave
Wick 2BFL
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valves.

I always evaluate valve action. I use Clarke's chromatic "First Study," at full speed. Then I do some sloppy bluesy half-valve bends and smears, which can also reveal valve problems. And I have valve oil on hand, just in case. Hetman seems to be compatible with ordinary petroleum-based oils as well as synthetics.

Slow and/or sticking valve problems can usually be resolved by a qualified tech, but that needs to be included in the evaluation of the actual total cost of the horn.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1812 Overture. If I can't play it, the horn's crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: