• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry Pedler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe1joey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Harry Pedler Reply with quote

One of the lowest valued vintage trumpets is the Harry Pedler American Triumph models. I once wanted to believe otherwise and at a nominal cost, added a second one to try for my then, eclectic collection.
The first was worth the brass it was made of, but the second was surprisingly a fine horn which, as it turned out (now that I am sorting through my collection), is an ART trumpet, made by Harry Pedler. I'd appreciate anyone with hands-on experience to share...I am enjoying this horn this afternoon in a way that belies the Pedler stamp!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the small font and my old eyes I thought the title read Harry Potter and I was anxious to read about it.

Sorry I can’t help you.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART was a joint venture of Harry Pedler and Gus Buescher.

A little background: http://www.trumpet-history.com/The%20Harry%20Pedler%20Companies.htm

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harry Pedler Reply with quote

joe1joey wrote:
One of the lowest valued vintage trumpets is the Harry Pedler American Triumph models. I once wanted to believe otherwise and at a nominal cost, added a second one to try for my then, eclectic collection.
The first was worth the brass it was made of, but the second was surprisingly a fine horn which, as it turned out (now that I am sorting through my collection), is an ART trumpet, made by Harry Pedler. I'd appreciate anyone with hands-on experience to share...I am enjoying this horn this afternoon in a way that belies the Pedler stamp!

I HAD one but the valves were NOT great...so, I used it for parts. On a positive note- I installed the ART sterling silver bell on a Hub Van Laar B6 and it sounds fantastic!!!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Pedler American Triumph trumpet in Junior High School. Seemed okay at the time, but I haven't played one since.
holdfast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought an American Triumph from the 50s on eBay for about $60 USD including shipping. It plays and sounds much better than I thought it would. The valves are fine. No sluggishness at all. I'm enjoying it. I think it is a little heavier than other horns that I own. It's also the only horn I have that is bottom-sprung and has the first and third valve slides on the same side.

Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdfast-

Yours looks nice. Most I have seen recently have been in pretty bad shape.

I have been thinking about picking one up for fun (and nostalgia), with the prices being so low.

Thanks for your post and image!

Steve
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Harry Pedler Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
...I installed the ART sterling silver bell on a Hub Van Laar B6 and it sounds fantastic!!!

I call this crazy cool!

Reminds me of a local freelancer, who got a used Callet from a repair guy, who had replaced the damaged leadpipe and tuning slide from a beginner Yamaha. It is one of the best B-flat tpts I've ever played...and I've played at least two in my lifetime...not sure how many, since I lost count after two.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Art Trumpet Reply with quote

I have had a few Art model trumpets by Pedler over the years and they play fine but were only meant to be an advanced student model. The AT was the less expensive beginner horn which are pretty common online and often stenciled by other suppliers. The Lyons Band Instrument Co also sold Art models with their own stencil. You just have to look for the unique third slide ring that they used. I like the design of the Art model but find that many are broken where the lead pipe and bell attach to the valves as they used a very thin brace. They certainly are cheap to buy as I am lucky to get $100 even when selling a nice example.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Art Trumpet Reply with quote

I forgot to add that there are two different Art horns to watch for. The earlier ones by Gus Buescher are marked Art Musical Instruments then after he died and the company changed to Harry Pedler & Sons, they came out with the Art model trumpet I just mentioned in the last thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: