• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comparison Chart - Played before / Play now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Comparison Chart - Played before / Play now Reply with quote

Do you know of a comparison chart that shows
(by 'successfully', I mean with good tone, comfort, endurance, and WITHOUT pain or injury)

1) What mouthpiece a person successfully played in the past
and
2) What mpc is now successfully played - and using the same embrouchure style, and not due to teeth, lip, jaw, etc changes.

Of course there was a reason why the change was made, and that would be very helpful additional information.

In my case, I haven't yet gone on a trumpet mpc search, but with French horn I tried several, and eventually returned to the one I started with (a good middle-of-the-road style and brand - Holton DC).

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer will be no, as each player's changes are for different reasons, some valid, others not.

What would be a lot more valuable is to make a personal list of how things re, what you want to change, and then have a look at equipment and consult someone knowledgeable.

I have gone from large 1 1/4 type sizes, to 1X, to Tottle/Warbuton, to modified 2C, to Laskey to Monette. Some of the changes have been positive, some not, and quite often, based on advice from others... it just took some 35 years to get here!

cheers

Andy
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best you can do is survey any players you contact personally either online or in person. I imagine most players have a mouthpiece history.

Here's mine:
Bb: Bach 7C -> Bach 5C for overall improvement -> 2 different gold "big letter" Bach 5Cs that I learned after comparison were too wide and deep -> current Vincent Bach Corp. 5C for better feeling rim and slightly more efficiency
added VBC. 6BM as an orchestral option
added Curry 5DE as a commercial
for lead Bach 7EW -> Stork Studio Master XV6 for more efficiency and sizzle

C: 2 different gold "big letter" Bach 5Cs -> GR 65VC for overall improvement -> Bach Artisan 5C for better sound while sacrificing ease -> Stork Vacchiano 4C26B for overall improvement like the GR 65VC but with a much better sound that isn't stuffy and edgy
added Stork Vacchiano 4D26B as a chamber
added King 7M as a pops

Piccolo: Curry 5P -> Bach 7EW for more efficiency -> Stork Studio Master SP6 for more efficiency, better articulation, and lighter sound

What isn't shown are all the mouthpieces tried during the process! I'm kinda like Doc Servenson, I want to try mouthpieces from every brand out of curiosity. I've found some real gems that I may end up returning to. Curry, Laskey, Greg Black, and Denis Wick American all have 5Cesque mouthpieces that work well for me but were edged out for small reasons. For various reasons, I want to try a Frost O6MV26/MTV, Curry 5*, Warburton 6MC/8, Hammond 6ML, Josef Klier USA 5C, and Pickett 6BC/10-2 for Bb and a Stork Vacchiano 4B25C for C.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
The best you can do is survey any players you contact personally either online or in person. I imagine most players have a mouthpiece history.

Here's mine:
Bb: Bach 7C -> Bach 5C for overall improvement -> 2 different gold "big letter" Bach 5Cs that I learned after comparison were too wide and thick -> current Vincent Bach Corp. 5C for better feeling rim and slightly more efficiency
added VBC. 6BM as an orchestral option
added Curry 5DE as a commercial
for lead Bach 7EW -> Stork Studio Master XV6 for more efficiency and sizzle

C: 2 different gold "big letter" Bach 5Cs -> GR 65VC for overall improvement -> Bach Artisan 5C for better sound while sacrificing ease -> Stork Vacchiano 4C26B for overall improvement like the GR 65VC but with a much better sound that isn't stuffy and edgy
added Stork Vacchiano 4D26B as a chamber
added King 7M as a pops

Piccolo: Curry 5P -> Bach 7EW for more efficiency -> Stork Studio Master SP6 for more efficiency, better articulation, and lighter sound

What isn't shown are all the mouthpieces tried during the process! I'm kinda like Doc Servenson, I want to try mouthpieces from every brand out of curiosity. I've found some real gems that I may end up returning to. Curry, Laskey, Greg Black, and Denis Wick American all have 5Cesque mouthpieces that work well for me but were edged out for small reasons. For various reasons, I want to try a Frost O6MV26/MVD, Curry 5*, Warburton 6MC/8, Hammond 6ML, Josef Klier USA 5C, and Pickett 6BC/10-2 for Bb and a Stork Vacchiano 4B25C for C.

I agree w/you. I have many mouthpieces because I was curious about them. But, I seem to always come back to 2 or 3 that really work for me....I tend to stick to 3/5/9 sizes (on the Bach measurements..). But have been very surprised at how well a Curry 1.5 has worked for me! I have never gone that big, but this one feels like a much smaller mouthpiece......my absolute favorite is a Laskey 50B. Monettes have NOT worked for me & they are way overpriced......
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies ! It's interesting to learn how you've transitioned along the mouthpiece journey!

Let me clarify my intent about my question ... My goal is to assist me (and of course others) in my quest for a 'better' general purpose mouthpiece - hopefully without going thru the numerous 'not quite right' steps.

My long-term trumpet mouthpiece is a Bach 7 - it fits my teeth and lips, seems to provide the sound I want, and doesn't appear to inhibit my range / articulation / etc.
Of course I'd like to find a mouthpiece that works better, but I really don't want to start a safari!
So my baseline, no obvious problems mpc is the B7.

So hopefully there are others who were in a similar situation with a Bach 7, and ENDED UP with something different that works better for 'general purpose' and has the SAME teeth/lip feel as the B7.

Maybe the 'smart answer' is to just stay with my current mpc, and practice more! But maybe someone was in a similar situation and did find something better.

So whatever was YOUR baseline 'no problems' mpc, did you find something with the same 'fit' that is better?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: