• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want to switch from my Bach 1 1/2 C to a lead mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trento.bento

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: I want to switch from my Bach 1 1/2 C to a lead mouthpiece Reply with quote

So here is the situation I am in,

I currently play on a Bach 1 1/2C for concert band and orchestra. I really love the tone I get and is one of my favorite mouthpieces I have ever used. For about a year now I got lead part for my jazz band and I use my Bach 1 1/2 C. Playing lead for maybe the first 30-45 minutes I would be fine, but after that my chops get really tired. So I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be similar to a Bach 1 1/2 C but would also help my endurance.

An idea I came up with is to switch to a Bach 3c. After using a Bach 1 1/2C, the 3C felt small for me. (note that I have rather big lips, hence the reason I prefer my 1 1/2C.

Based on other forms, I've seen that the Curry 70m would be a good option for me.

What are your thoughts on the Curry 70m?

Are there any other mouthpieces that you would suggest I try out?

Besides lead mouthpieces, what other mouthpieces should I try out for all around use that would help my endurance? (my chops get tired from concert band and orchestral music too)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: I want to switch from my Bach 1 1/2 C to a lead mouthpie Reply with quote

trento.bento wrote:

I currently play on a Bach 1 1/2C for concert band and orchestra. I really love the tone I get and is one of my favorite mouthpieces I have ever used. For about a year now I got lead part for my jazz band and I use my Bach 1 1/2 C. Playing lead for maybe the first 30-45 minutes I would be fine, but after that my chops get really tired. So I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be similar to a Bach 1 1/2 C but would also help my endurance.

An idea I came up with is to switch to a Bach 3c. After using a Bach 1 1/2C, the 3C felt small for me. (note that I have rather big lips, hence the reason I prefer my 1 1/2C.

Based on other forms, I've seen that the Curry 70m would be a good option for me.

Besides lead mouthpieces, what other mouthpieces should I try out for all around use that would help my endurance? (my chops get tired from concert band and orchestral music too)

Been there but then done what one should do, practice! A lot. 3-4years ago I found myself on the first chair, bigband. After one set, 45 minutes I was smoked. 12 -13 tunes, 60 seconds apart. Phew. I was approaching 74.
Age I thought. But then I started to practice, 30-45 minutes per session 3-4-5 sessions a day. Problem solved!
Of course this is very personal but I would suggest practicing more prior to launching a mouthpiece safari!
Of course mouthpieces matter. Rim comfy enough? Diameter not too small? Not too big? Alpha-angle not to big? (like Schilke 14-15A4A). Big lips point to diameter 17,00mm according to the Stork site ( https://storkcustom.com/doctor-mouthpiece/ ) etc etc.
So: review your way of practicing - too much pressure can kill chops etc.
Then do some inquiries regarding the choice of mpc.
And the standard advice: perhaps visiting an acknowledged teacher once or twice might yield some ideas about what to do.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: I want to switch from my Bach 1 1/2 C to a lead mouthpie Reply with quote

trento.bento wrote:
... After using a Bach 1 1/2C, the 3C felt small for me. (note that I have rather big lips, hence the reason I prefer my 1 1/2C.

---------------------------
But how did you play using the 3C?
And did you use it for at least several days to become familiar with it?
It takes some time to adjust to the 'feel' of different equipment, and to become skilled at using to best advantage.

You're unlikely to find a mpc that is better for lead playing that feels the same as the 1 1/2C.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at a Pickett 1.5 E or DE cup. 10-5 backbore.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone has used a Bach 1C for 30+ years for classical playing, I too, needed a lead mouthpiece as I have always played a lot of lead. I originally had Bob Reeves copy my 1C rim and thread it onto one of his backbores, I used that throughout college and several years after. However, I had a chance to try out way back when a new system called Warburton and have been using Warburton mouthpieces for commercial work ever since. I find it easy to quickly transition back and forth from the Bach 1C to a Warburton 3 rim. I am currently using Warburton 3ES with a KT Series 80 backbore.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're playing a mouthpiece that is comfortable and is working for you in terms of giving you the musical results you want then you should stay with it.

Endurance is a product of physical development, not mouthpiece design. The way to develop more endurance is to practice/play more in an intelligent program designed to increase your endurance. There are no magic mouthpieces.
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Curry 1 1/2 M and DE cups.

That should keep your rim the same and provide a shallower cup.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest building your endurance via more practice time - as Mr. Fudd has suggested.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR CT-Z could be a solution.
Worked for me. Only reason I sold it is because I haven't played such lead gigs in years.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Curry 1.5M a number of years ago for lead work and it was fine.
Check out the 1.5* which has a Purviance style cup.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: I want to switch from my Bach 1 1/2 C to a lead mouthpie Reply with quote

trento.bento wrote:

I played a Curry 1½BC alternating successfully, for lead, with a 70S for few years at the end of my all-'round playing days and it worked very well for me.

The 70S (and, probably the 70M) is a very quick (immediate sounding) mpc. I ended up with a #23 throat in each of the three different (blanks and rim shapes) 70S pieces that I used.

I was starting to get attached to a Giddings 1.5M for lead playing last year and was talking to Ivan about the "Lead" or the "Shallow" cup the same day that I stumbled onto a one-off piece designed by Dave Wooten and made by James Best -- Las Vegas V5, a V cup in a 1½ ID (on an old Buescher blank). I don't think that Dave went into production with that but Best might be able to make Dave's mpc for you.

I'm sure that James has designs of his own that would work for your situation as will most, if not all, of the small-shop makers.

Shallow (D, E) Bach cups never felt/sounded like lead pieces to me. I have not tried or heard any of the Bach Commercial pieces but 3MV specs look like it might feel close to a 1½.

-Denny

-Denny
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago my main mouthpiece was a Bach 1-1/2C and I needed something for lead playing and studio work. I've never been one who could play shallow mouthpieces. At the time Joe Marcinkiewicz was still in the L.A. area so I went to him and he copied the rim and cup diameter of my 1-1/2C and made a custom mouthpiece that was basically a slightly shallower version of the 1-1/2C. As he made it, I would test it and find it was still a little too shallow, and then he'd put it back on the machine and cut the cup a little deeper and we did this back and forth until it was just right. I used that mouthpiece for most of my work from 1985 until late 2003 when I discovered the wonderfulness of the Reeves 43C which I've used for nearly everything ever since.

Anyway, if you're interested in a mouthpiece that is identical to your 1-1/2C in terms of rim contour and cup diameter, but a bit shallower, I could take my custom Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece to Karl Hammond (near me) and he could create a very accurate copy of it for you. I have no idea what he would charge, but you can contact him about that.

https://www.karlhammonddesign.com/

I'll be making a trip to his shop soon to have a couple of mouthpieces replated and would be happy to bring the Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece to him.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Check out Northern Brass by GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

A good many 1 1/2C players have been getting good results with the Northern Brass by GR 3-66*** and 3-66**** mouthpieces. Shallow to medium shallow commercial crossover designs. Efficient while retaining a good sound in all registers. Exclusively at www.callet.com

Here is Jordan Hoffman using the Northern Brass 3-66**** medium shallow cup on one of the Trumpet Gains Challenges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0TIm833xtU
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: