• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference between Curry and Yamaha flugel mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Difference between Curry and Yamaha flugel mouthpieces Reply with quote

I bought a Curry 3FL.-Y for my Bobby Shew flugel. I've been using the Bobby Shew Flugel mouthpiece that came with the horn. My first thought when I tried the new piece was "I'm flat!" and it turns out the mouthpieces fit differently. Is this normal to have this variation? Have I got the wrong thing? (-Y should definitely be the correct taper for a Yamaha flugel, right?) And does it matter? I've read about "gap" on this site and it looks like whatever the gap was, it's about a half-inch greater now.

This image shows both inserted in the flugel leadpipe:

In this picture they are lined up with the insertion mark at the edge of the styrofoam block:

Eric
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Mark, but looking at the pictures it looks to me like you have different tapers on the shanks.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy how far the non-Curry one inserts. That does not look right at all. Someone messed up if that came with the flugelhorn.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Ask Mark, but looking at the pictures it looks to me like you have different tapers on the shanks.

It's sure hard to tell just looking. I don't have anything else to compare them to, besides each other. The Bobby Shew mouthpiece is made by Yamaha, and is included with the purchase of this flugelhorn. I think I read it's only available with a "Yamaha taper". The Curry is marked -Y (i.e. Yamaha taper.)

Richard III wrote:
Crazy how far the non-Curry one inserts. That does not look right at all. Someone messed up if that came with the flugelhorn.

When I look at image results for this flugelhorn, it looks pretty close to mine:

Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've read about "gap" on this site and it looks like whatever the gap was, it's about a half-inch greater now."

There is no gap on most flugelhorn's tuning bit. As long as you can get the Curry to tune to concert pitch you will be fine.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it comes to pitch just fine, plenty of room to spare.
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
Yes, it comes to pitch just fine, plenty of room to spare.

If you look into your trumpet receiver and flugelhorn receiver, you can see the difference. The trumpet allows for a space between the end of the mouthpiece and the beginning of the leadpipe. That is where the gap comes into play. Your flugel lead pipe is just one piece.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CarolBrass flugelhorn trumpet shank leadpipe has a step in it so it has a gap. It's also a lot better in tune than the large Morse (aka Yamaha) taper one that also came with the horn, go figure.

Since the Yamaha leadpipe has no gap it ends up not mattering so much how far a given mouthpiece inserts, just put the leadpipe in or out to compensate. With the Curry it will be a bit wider right when air first hits the leadpipe since its still in the shank constriction area of the leadpipe. I assume the mouthpiece was designed with this in mind, it doesn't go in very far -- my Curry inserts to the same point on my large morse pipe as yours does. The Curry has the octaves too narrow on my horn, I'm probably going to sell it or figure out how to adapt it to the trumpet leadpipe.
Alsorann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yamaha Shew flugel mouthpiece and my 14F4-GP both seat in my 731 exactly like the Yamaha picture above, and I was informed by somebody confidently that the leadpipe had been altered. Took both pieces to the local horn haven, and that's exactly how they both seated in a used 8315, as well as a brand new 8315.

It would appear to me that Yamaha designs them to fit that way.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Reeves flugel pieces (Yamaha taper) also fit that deeply in the tuning bit, just like the Yamaha ones.

As far as I've seen, Curry flugel mouthpieces are unique in that they really stick out far from the leadpipe. I love the sound of my Curry FLD-Y, but it really bends certain notes out of tune. I don't like the sound as much on the Yamaha or Reeves flugel pieces, but they are WAY more in tune.

I think there's something wacky about the Curry flugel shank that may lead to poor intonation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: