• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mix-and-matching C cups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Mix-and-matching C cups Reply with quote

Hi, all. I play a Curry 3C. for about 99% of my playing. I was intrigued by this section on Mark Curry's website:

Quote:
Mix and match cups and rims

Let’s say over the years you've found the rim contour of the 3C most comfortable, but like the sound quality of the 1.25C cup more. I can combine these two features and create a mouthpiece that has the sound, comfort, and the playing characteristics you've been looking for.

This sounds very intriguing to me. I personally don't like playing deeper "B" cups on Bb trumpet. However, I love the richer sound that I get out of a 1.25C, 1.5C, or 1C, as they are "C" depth cups with more room inside for a richer sound. I just can't play on those rims.

Have any of you tried the above - placing a different C cup shape on a 3C mouthpiece? If so, I wonder if I should go for the 1C, 1.5C, or 1.25C shape? My goal is to get a richer, deeper, less bright/cutting sound for certain applications. Your experience would be a big help!

Thanks!
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone is different, but following is my experience.

Love Mark's pieces. Also love how the rim is exactly the same for all cups - except I swear the BC rim feels different

BC cup - throat too large and the rim feels different (to me)

B cup - little too funnel shaped and I lost range and was a little odd

Pondered shelling out the bucks for Mark to do this. Had the same goal - less cutting sound and wanted to keep same rim.

Tried the TC - LOVE IT!. Range not affected. Use it for "legit" gigs and when I want to not be so bright. Took a little acclamation. I also love that it is so forgiving. It has a huge sweet spot.

That is my experience and what I did. They pop up used or new is really not that expensive to try.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Curry line.. I'm playing 3C. mostly but have most of the 3 series..
note: the 3BC is a slightly bigger, differently shaped rim - his we site explanins this..

I had Osmun Music open the throat of a new 3C. to a 25 throat, originally for use on my large bore C trumpet. As I've played around with it I find it's a nice match to my Bach 37 anniversary model.. warmed up the tone a touch and opened up the upper register.
I prefer this to the 3B sound and play - I do like the B cup for some lyrical things but not an "everyday" piece for me.

3C - every day piece (recently with a 25 throat)
3* (star) - commercial work
3DE / 3P - piccolo
3M - D/Eb trumpet
3FL - flugelhorn
3DC. - cornet

3B, 3TC, 3TF - occassionally
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had Reeves thread my favorite 3C rim onto my favorite 1.5C underpart. Works great for me.

FWIW I like the stock Bach 3C well enough but after experimenting with the Bach 1.5C I just couldn't settle for the tone of the 3C any longer. But the rim of the 1.5C just wasn't working for me, and I used it long enough to believe that it wasn't going to get better. Off to Reeves I went.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deliberately bought my Martin Schmidt horn for situations where I need or want to be less aggressive or dominant in sound. Perfect instrument with a full warm sound and the 7TC perfectly supports that sound while not compromising range.

I occasionally use a 7M for tough stuff but am thinking of adding a 7C for some more focus. The TC almost sounds like a Flugel on the Schmidt.

The effect is less pronounced on the Bach. So overall, before trying the mix and match option I would really give the TC a try.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all - I own most of the Curry 3. series (B, BC, Star, etc.) but I'm really looking for a different C cup. Why not?

I guess I just need to decide whether to go with the 1C, 1.5C, or 1.25C cup... Any suggestions?
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Mark. I am sure he has done this before and could offer advice
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Thanks, all - I own most of the Curry 3. series (B, BC, Star, etc.) but I'm really looking for a different C cup. Why not?

I guess I just need to decide whether to go with the 1C, 1.5C, or 1.25C cup... Any suggestions?

If I were you I'd try out pieces in all those sizes and chose the one that blows and sounds the way you like. Then either replace the rim of have a hybrid made and expect it to blow/sound similar. For me, the 1.5C underpart was just right. I don't know how much machining was required for Reeves to eliminate a step but it didn't seem to be a problem.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: