• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wisdom Teeth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Wisdom Teeth Reply with quote

I just got my Wisdom Teeth removed, how long should I wait before playing again and what should I play to get back into it?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your dentist. Take your trumpet and show him. Dry sockets are no fun. Nor are ripped stitches (if any).
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 weeks is a safe bet (but go with your docs recommendation). It's guilt free non-practice weeks. If he doesn't know about trumpet, just ask him when you can use straws again.

When you get back into it. Do 3-5 minute spurts every half hour or so. Build that up over the week. Takes about a week to get close to back to nearly normal.
joey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several students go through this. Here are some simple rules to follow:

1) Wait two weeks before you consider playing.
2) After two weeks, make sure your stitches are fully dissolved (most stitches used in this procedure, at least in the US, are dissolvable).
3) Make sure all swelling and/or bruising is completely gone. This varies from person to person. Some people bruise more, swell more, or both.
4) Start back slowly with short sessions, no longer than 30 minutes.
5) If you feel any pain: STOP! and go call your oral surgeon.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotten great advise here, so I can't really add much. I had my wisdom teeth removed and I took about a week off the horn (and after that then only played up to middle C and nothing loud for about another week or two). Just take it easy, wait until you're healed and you'll be fine. Do not suck on a straw, and be very careful not to let food get on the side of the mouth that the teeth were removed from when you chew. I hope they are doing one side at a time.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably went overkill but I wanted to make sure there was no risk of dry sockets or any kind of injury. I did not play for three weeks. I was aware of the suggestions for two weeks or so but just took the opportunity to add another week for safe measure.
AJ26

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post was an actual question, and I really appreciate the people who replied to it as such. I got all 4 wisdom teeth out this past Friday and have Musical Pit rehearsal all this week, Jazz rehearsal Wednesday, Symphony rehearsal Saturday, and an audition the Tuesday after. This post was mainly to see if I would have enough time after recovery to be able to practice for the audition (it is obvious now I won't). I really appreciate all the serious replies as I severely underestimated the recovery time needed! Thanks again!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Army took mine out. I was put on one week of drugs and 2 more weeks of administrative duty before I was back to work (except for playing bass with the jazz band).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: