• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Section Drama in High School Band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ta11era

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Section Drama in High School Band Reply with quote

Hello I’m a Senior Trumpet Player at my High School. There’s been never-ending drama these past years regarding parts with another player in my section, and the Director doesn’t have a clear cut answer to ending them. It’s more regarding how the 2nd chair expects to sit in the first chair spot for Big Band, and Wind Ensemble just to assign parts, despite them and I switching to play 2nd and 1st when we play Respectively. The player expected to be lead as a freshman going into their sophomore year despite myself being one year their senior. They took the lead spot their sophomore year (my junior year), as a result of myself not being able to attend an event despite letting the director know months in advance. The Challenge commissioned to end the disputes resulted in a tie their sophomore year (my junior year). I beat them out in part placements about 3 or 4 times as a Senior, and they still expected to be lead, sitting in the chair reserved for lead despite not being the lead anymore. They attempt to take the first parts by forcing others to give them the parts so they’d take the first part and hand me the second. The Director and I had to make an agreement to split parts with the player to keep disputes to a minimum, but the player still tries to decide who gets which part. The Director forced the player to play 2nd for most songs because they were trying to force themselves to play lead, though I was the better player. This is personally why I believe why they want to sit where the first chair lies. (We move around depending on who’s lead, but an important note is that they play lead for everything but the main events. The Player still expected to play lead in wind ensemble and give me lower parts a week prior to the semester despite myself making it at Lead for the Capital Section honor Band. (This dispute was ended as soon as they attempted this, but it is an interesting point.) They also expect to play first for everything Sight reading wise, as the “true lead”. Every time I win out a part or the teacher assigns it to me, the other player complains to people behind my back about how they deserve it and I don’t. Ironically some people end up telling me about it. I try to be as humble as I can about this as it just relates to parts and chairs and is most likely just Drama that’s bound to occur in High School, but I’m personally starting to find it annoying. What can be done about this?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the band director has lost control. A sports team head coach would never allow something like that to happen.

I'd start by asking the director if he has authorized how the parts are distributed to be decided by any specific player. If he says the section 'should work it out themselves', then TELL him that is not working - and explain why.

It also sounds as if this might be verging on some sort of 'bullying' - if that's the case, then the director MUST take control and exert authority.

On the other hand ... since as a senior, you'll be leaving soon - if would be gracious for you to 'pass the baton' of lead/1st to the player(s) who will move into that position next year.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you do ?

1. Grow up. You are feeding some of the drama yourself. Don't.
2. Don't let others draw you into the back-channel drama. They are feeding it. Don't participate.
3. Besides the "title" of lead, why do you care so much ? Most of the solos in big band are (or should be) in the 2nd part. Take those parts because it allows you to stand out to the audience and get the attention.
4. If you do (3), and explain why, I wouldn't be surprised if your nemesis starts wanting to play the 2nd parts.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Learn something about how to be a freshman when you get to college. Don't be that guy.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please learn to use paragraphs.
Break your text into more compact points.
Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start grabbing the lower parts. It's hard to rag on someone who is a good team player, and we always need good players on every part. If you want to be the leader, then lead. That means being over yourself and doing the things that need to be done without fussing.

As a director, I notice when a student is "over themselves" and willing to do what needs to be done for the betterment of the section. I call that leadership and, in my groups, it is awarded accordingly. Squabbling and bossing and selfishness is also awarded accordingly.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you are a "senior trumpet player", does that mean you are a trumpet player who is a senior in high school? Or does that mean something else?

Because if you are a senior in high school, then my opinion would be to focus on the upcoming high school graduation, examine what has been learned from the experience as described, and then proceed to leave it all behind.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
When you say you are a "senior trumpet player", does that mean you are a trumpet player who is a senior in high school? Or does that mean something else?

Because if you are a senior in high school, then my opinion would be to focus on the upcoming high school graduation, examine what has been learned from the experience as described, and then proceed to leave it all behind.

ta11era wrote:
Senior Trumpet Player at my High School
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: