• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Acoustics and Sound Perception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashenfang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Acoustics and Sound Perception Reply with quote

I figured there are enough players on this board who have probably played in similar settings who could provide some insight and feedback to my question.

I play trumpet every week at my church along with the pipe organ. Most of the time I play melody runs with occasional descants. The church is a cathedral with high vaulted ceilings and of a Gothic design. (Was built in 1869). The organ player and myself play from the choir loft, about 25 feet up above the church floor at the back. Organ pipes behind us.

Now, to the root of my question. Does building/acoustic design influence how tonation is received by the ear? Or a better way to put it, is it possible to be "in tune" where the sound originates but further away, it sounds slightly "out of tune"?

I ask because from where I stand, the organ and myself are in tune, but down at the church floor and further away, I have noticed on recorded videos that the sound between the trumpet and the organ sometimes sound slightly out of tune. Of course anyone I ask in person says it sounds fine, however, most of these people are not musical enough to realize when something is out of tune. I have wondered if what I am hearing is more of an artifact of the video/sound of the recording device. (typically cell phones).

The second part to the this question is, what is the best place for me to play from? Sitting? Standing? Horn directed at the floor? Level and directed toward the front of the church? Sound does strange things and the trumpet is very good at projecting. I want the organ/trumpet to blend well and not overpower.

Thanks!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Room mic recordings, especially low quality ones like a cell phone, are usually unflattering and reveal tuning issues that do exist but are not as apparent to listening ears in the room. I wouldn't worry about it.

A higher quality recording set up with a stereo pair would make a better recording.

If sound volume is not an issue you should face such that the listeners will receive some direct sound. Obviously it is very reverberant space. You could play descants with indirect position for more reverberant sound.
ashenfang

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points and thanks for the feedback!

You are kidding about reverb. Last November I played taps for veterans day and the reverb within the church was almost, haunting.

Cathedrals built during this time were actually constructed in a way to promote sound projection and amplification (design of walls, ceiling etc) since they didn't have modern day tech like amplifiers and speakers. Unfortunately, that reverb can play some serious tricks on the mind/ears.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Acoustics and Sound Perception Reply with quote

Reckon I'm pretty green with envy when I read your post. I'd really enjoy playing in the an auditorium with cathedral acoustics and volume (space).

1) I'm not an architect or a sound engineer
2) I have played in a reasonably large church auditorium (seats approx 250) accompanying the congregational singing with a large electronic two manual organ and piano accompaniment
3) I've also played as part of a quartet in the Perth (Western Australia) Concert Hall and the University of WA's Great Hall accompanied by the hall's pipe organ as special worship program items.
4) Our little group also played from the back balcony of the Wesley Church in Perth WA.
Hence my experience is pretty minor.

Best place for us was always the front of the church/auditorium facing the congregation for musical items, or, when accompanying the congregational singing, sitting in the front row of the church and projecting the sound towards the "altar" away from the congregants.

Possibly the best thing you could do would be to arrange with the organist a time when the cathedral is empty and then experiment with various locations.

Me? I'd take up station as close to the pipes as possible and project the sound towards the altar or the congregation. Which way would depend on the volume and tone of the trumpet; reflected sound may be easier on the ears of the congregants than direct sound.

FWIW

I'd be interested to know how you get on, whether or not you use my suggestions.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Acoustics and Sound Perception Reply with quote

ashenfang wrote:
it possible to be "in tune" where the sound originates but further away, it sounds slightly "out of tune"?

It's probably more likely that you're a little 'out of tune' with the organ than the recording device or building being 'out of tune' don't ya think??

It's also possible that the building acoustics/ your position could be fooling you.

Maybe you could reference the recording device and make some adjustments toward correction?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1541233
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Acoustics and sound perception Reply with quote

Be as in tune with the organ or piano as you can and let it rip. Older churches were always my favorite. Both from in front of the congregation and balcony. And I have played in a bunch. Those times and sound memories are the best I have just because hearing a trumpet in church was the reason I wanted to start playing at age 10. Rehearsing in an empty church is somewhat different than playing when a cathedral or church if full up with people, but I think both places are exciting for their sound. Newer churches are all carpeted and much of the sound seems to be absorbed. I still loved playing in any church, anytime. Get it in tune with the organ and enjoy yourself.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to how to position yourself and direct the bell, I find that you have to read the room for the piece you are doing it and what/who with. Large spaces are fun in that you can shape the sound by how you direct it (more/less resonance, reverb, accentuate or suppress high overtones, etc). I use recordings during rehearsal to judge if I am guessing right - and after a while, you get to know the hall if you are there regularly.

As for the intonation issue, playing close to an organ is problematic. The sound pressure plays tricks on your ear. Also, organs tend to not be perfectly in tune across their hundreds/thousands of pipes, and certain ranks will have a non-representative influence on where you are hearing pitch center based on their timbre and octave - with the high shrill ones being dominant close to the pipes, but not so in the hall.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1541233

Another FWIW ...

In checking out the link Billy B posted (see quote above) I read something that reminded me of my early year's learning to play the local church organ and my practice ever since, as well as some year 12 (school) physics (not much though).

It is my understanding that the flute produces some of, if not THE purest wave-form of sound available (without distorting/distracting harmonics). With this in mind (and with my early learning for playing the organ - always start the tone coloration with flute stops) your best solution to tuning to the organ could be (and I think it's been alluded to already) to use the eight and four foot flute stops on the great manual (and the same for the swell manual coupled to the great) as the tone to which you should tune.

Undoubtedly, when other stops diapason, strings, trumpet, horn etc and any 2 2/3 foot stops are introduced additional harmonics will color the sound and detract from the "pure" tone (and pitch) of the flute to which you have tuned and maybe, have the trumpet sounding relatively, out of tune.

Like I said FWIW.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliot is going rather well here, as the issue of intonation and organs is related more to the stops used than anything else.

I have played extensively with a very experienced and talented musician and his take is to use a 4 or 8 ft open diapason for tuning purposes. He also avoids using mixture with trumpet ALL the time. He also changes registration if I'm not playing, and is able to compliment the instrument he is accompanying (or who is accompanying the congregation. come to think of it, the organist my trumpet duo is now working with does the same thing once we mentioned it...

As a last, as mentioned already, recordings on phones, especially at a distance are essentially useless as a reference. the house sound, bouncing harmonics and distance will make it sound pretty ordinary.

cheers

Andy
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Eliot is going rather well here, as the issue of intonation and organs is related more to the stops used than anything else.

I have played extensively with a very experienced and talented musician and his take is to use a 4 or 8 ft open diapason for tuning purposes. He also avoids using mixture with trumpet ALL the time. He also changes registration if I'm not playing, and is able to compliment the instrument he is accompanying (or who is accompanying the congregation. come to think of it, the organist my trumpet duo is now working with does the same thing once we mentioned it...

As a last, as mentioned already, recordings on phones, especially at a distance are essentially useless as a reference. the house sound, bouncing harmonics and distance will make it sound pretty ordinary.
cheers
Andy

My thanks and appreciation to/for your comments.
I've just gone back to the previously mentioned link and noted that it was your comment in that link that brought to mind my attempts at learning how to play the church organ too many years ago, and the use of the flute stop for initiating tonal color. thx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: