• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doc's Plastic mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Doc's Plastic mouthpieces Reply with quote

Now, I've never been a fan of the white plastic mouthpieces that came out in 1964-65 but I've had one of each (2, 4, 6) with Doc fitting me with a number 4 as soon as he got them. Yes, he told me that the one he sold me sounded better than the other 4's he had me play (?!).
Does anyone know what these mouthpieces were patterned on? The 2 and 4 both have flatter rims but the 6 is pretty big with a sharp rim--not really playable for me.
Did Doc pattern these on someone's personal mouthpiece or did he come up with the design on his own? Just curious.
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Dave Sheetz told me that the #6 was in the ballpark of a Bach 3C, the #4 of Bach 7C, and the #2 of a Schilke 13A4a. Dave, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! I still have a couple of them, both the white plastic and the clear plastic. Doc put me on a Schilke 13A4a for my commercial work.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type3B wrote:
I think that Dave Sheetz told me that the #6 was in the ballpark of a Bach 3C, the #4 of Bach 7C, and the #2 of a Schilke 13A4a. Dave, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! I still have a couple of them, both the white plastic and the clear plastic. Doc put me on a Schilke 13A4a for my commercial work.

Actually, I think the Reinhardt #6 is closer to a Bach 1½ C. The other two I think you got just about right.

I have had and have played all three of those sizes both in trumpet and in trombone. I have a couple still kicking around here somewhere but have not actually played one on gigs in years, maybe even decades.
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 is definitely as big or maybe bigger than a 1 1/2 C with a much sharper and narrower rim.
I seem to recall Doc told me that the 2 was a copy of Bunny Berrigan's mouthpiece. Berrigan and Gozzo were two trumpeters he talked about most with me. I had never heard of either before I started taking lessons from him.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a #6 trumpet, #6 cornet, and a trombone model around here somewhere. To me, the #6 feels very much like a 3 diameter, but with a narrower and sharper rim contour. Very similar to my Kanstul NY3C top. They play very well......mine are a cream-colored plastic.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: