• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Student listening assignments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Student listening assignments Reply with quote

I decided to try the following, handing this out to my students, anyone else had success with something similar to this? (It’s not spaced very well, I tried to fit it on a single page).

Listening Assignment
Student name:____________________
Date:__________
It is very important for students to listen to accomplished trumpet players, each student should pick at least one to listen to each week.
Some good performer choices would be:
Doc Severinsen
Adolph Herseth
Rafael Mendez
Arturo Sandoval
Alison Balsom
Philip Smith
John Hagstrom
Claude Gordon
Dizzy Gillespie

Please provide the following information:
Performer’s name:

Brad
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a terrific idea. Perhaps you might want to include a space for the listener's comments/impressions. Or even a question like, "Were you moved in any way by what you heard and how did the performance affect you musically?"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize, of course that they can write anything they want. Some may follow your directions while others my game the system. You might feel more comfortable with some sort of verification, like a parent's signature.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
You realize, of course that they can write anything they want. Some may follow it while others my game the system. You might feel more comfortable with some sort of verification, like a parent's signature.

True, I should probably add a space for parental signature. Of course, parents can just sign it within paying much attention to it too. I’ve also had parents look me in the eye and lie about their kids’ practice regimen.

I don’t plan on being a “Nazi” with this, hopefully a few kids will be exposed to some great players who otherwise might not have been. It can’t hurt.

Brad
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps telling your students that you will share their forms with the other students in your studio will encourage them.

I wasn't a trumpet player in HS, but still remember hearing the trumpet solo in Lt. Kije and digging it. Have no idea who it was. I also remember the day I heard Take 5, but that's another story.

Music was always in our house when I was a kid. I think things are different now.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was teaching private lessons, I absolutely included listening exercises.

I would choose two different trumpet tunes and ask them to come to their next lesson prepared to talk about what they heard. I would choose stuff available on YouTube or whatever. One week they might get a Miles Davis ballad and a Wynyon baroque piccolo piece. The next week a hot Dizzy bebop tune and a mariachi band. The next week the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Pictures and a Ruby Braff duet. Two contrasting sounds.

I found that by choosing the specific music - and making sure that they are two contrasting sounds - that it kept it easy and interesting for the student. It would also help them gravitate towards the sound they like, while ensuring that they hear a wide range of styles.

I worry that your form - "Listen to anything and tell me what it was" - is simply too vague for young players who have so much going on in their busy and stressful lives. Choosing specific pieces - and showing them that you're going to choose interesting and funny and strange stuff to keep them guessing! - ensures much greater compliance. When you're assigning both world classics but also fun stuff like Maynard or Tastee Bros or whatever, you're going to have your students excited to listen!

For instance, I would assign this classic, usually the week after Wynton's version:

Link

I know it's silly, but listening to the above recording together is a GREAT teaching moment!

It would be so fun after a few weeks and a student would come in saying "I LOVE Lee Morgan's playing!" or "Bud Herseth is the loudest I've ever heard!" It might take a while to find it, but seeing a young player's "aha" moment, when they hear the trumpet sound that's really it for them, is always worth it.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at "Ed Puzzle". It is what I use for my classroom listening assignments and there are a ton of advantages to it.

1. You can crop the videos for length
2. You can insert audio and written comments
3. Students can not skip ahead,.they have to watch the entire video
4. Ed Puzzle will report how many times the student has watched any given video.
5. You can embed questions for the students to answer.

I use the "free for teachers and students" version,so there might be a subscription fee, but I would very highly recommend looking at it. It is also how I assign theory and music history information.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good suggestions guys.

Especially since the school year is ending, and kids might have a bit more free time, plans for this are to just encourage kids to do something they might not otherwise do, I’m not planning on making this an enforced requirement. “Assignment” is probably not a good term for me to have on this form.

Teaching especially younger students is walking a tightrope between encouraging them to do enough (ESPECIALLY practice) and having them burn out and decide band/music is not something they want to continue with. I lean towards pushing them just enough to get out of their comfort zone, but again, it’s a balancing act. What I refuse to do is fall into the “everybody gets a participation trophy for just showing up” mentality; I think that does kids a huge disservice.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: