• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My late fathers collection of mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BossTone74

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: My late fathers collection of mouthpieces Reply with quote

I need help! My father passed, and was a professor and trumpet player. He left behind a number of mouthpieces. I am now realizing some of these potentially could be worth more than I thought. Most are in really really good shape, and vintage. The problem is, I don’t know what everything is worth and don’t want to be taken to the cleaners. Anyone willing to help price these? Or tell me what to look for? Thanks a bunch if you can help!

Brand model Cup # Trumpet/Cornet
Yamaha 11B4 Trumpet
Yamaha 12F3d Flugel
Yamaha 11C4-7C Trumpet
Vincent Bach Corp. MT Vernon NY 3C Cornet
Vincent Bach Corp. 3C Cornet
Vincent Bach Corp. 3C Cornet
Vincent Bach Corp. 7C Trumpet
Vincent Bach Corp. 7C Cornet
Vincent Bach Corp. MT Vernon NY 10-3/4CW Trumpet
Olds 3 Trumpet
UMI 3C Trumpet
Bob Reeves Holly W'D, CA. 43M Trumpet
Bob Reeves Holly W'D, CA. 43C 3 Cornet
Giiardinelli New York 3VS 3 Trumpet
Giiardinelli New York 7S 7F Gold Flugel
Giiardinelli New York 7FT 7F Gold Flugel
Giiardinelli New York 7FL 7F Flugel
Jerome Callet 1 Trumpet
Jet-Tone Al Hirt Model A A Trumpet
Fokus P7 Trumpet
J.Marcinkiewicz Oregon U.S.A E14*B Shew 1 Trumpet
Schilke 16C2 Trumpet
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get $250 for the lot. A bit more if you piece it out item by item, and have months to sell. Remember that shipping is not inconsequential, so I'd advise to price it accordingly ...
The Bachs should sell at $10 each. The others based on the market (if someone is looking for that particular mp, then you could command more, else figure on maybe $15 each.) It all depends on a number of factors.

Best of luck in your dispersal,
B
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the condition of the mouthpiece - any nicks or loss of silver plating on the rim or cup considerably lessens the value. Some amount of wear on the end of the shank is typical and not a problem unless there is damage, or the wear is excessive.

The MARKETPLACE section ( https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php ) is a guide to what sellers are asking for various mouthpieces.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been selling my old mouthpieces on eBay over the last few months and have averaged about $30-50 for most of them, including Bachs, Schilkes, Warburtons, Giardinellis, and Marcinkiewicz. I'm guessing you have between $300 and $600 worth of mouthpieces, depending on condition and demand.

If you use eBay, be sure to have detailed photos of each mouthpiece, showing the rim, cup, and shank end. Describe any flaws--full disclosure is a must. The same is true if you advertise them here in the TH marketplace.

Just keep in mind that eBay takes 10% of your sale price and your shipping price, and Paypal takes another chunk. On average I lose about 13% of my total price in fees.

I've been most successful with auctions as opposed to the "buy it now" option. And allow offers--I got a very generous offer within five minutes of listing my Giardinellis last week.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan is right!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must . . resist . . . must . . . resist.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Must . . resist . . . must . . . resist.

On a serious note, to the OP: I'm sorry about the loss of your father.

The Bach Corp. mouthpieces are worth around $20 to $30 if they are in good shape. Because most of them are the 7C size their value is attenuated by the fact that few players move to the 7C size. The 7C is a typical beginners mouthpiece (it's included as the standard mouthpiece with most new Bach trumpets), so it's the size that most players move away from as they progress.

That Mt Vernon Bach mouthpiece is probably worth a little more money. Unfortunately it's not a popular size (if it was a Mt Vernon 1 or Mount Vernon 3C it could be worth several to many hundreds of dollars).

If the Reeves 43M is in good condition it's probably worth around $90. Being a cornet mouthpiece, the 43C is probably worth a bit less (unless there's someone out there specifically searching for a Bob Reeves 43C cornet mouthpiece with the larger than standard #3 backbore).

If I were you, I'd put them out there on eBay with long auction times (30 days) and then in order to be able to advertise the auctions in the Trumpet Herald Marketplace, make a few more posts here on the TH, perhaps talking about your dad, his trumpet playing and what it was like growing up with a trumpet playing father. Don't just make four more posts on the TH to give you access to the Marketplace - make them legitimate posts somebody would want to read. One could be replying to this reply and telling us where your father taught. Then, once you earn access to sell in the Marketplace, you can post ads there directing interested folks to the respective eBay auctions where you are selling the mouthpieces.

Folks around here normally frown on a person who joins the Herald, makes the required five posts (usually asking questions that good folks here waste their time answering thinking the posts are legit), and then they gain access to the Marketplace, place their ads and never bother to post here again. But I think your situation is an exception. Maybe make a post in the Fundamentals section naming who your father was, what school he taught at, and asking if anyone here studied with him, and if so, what studying with him was like. You might be pleasantly surprised by the replies.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the condition you are probably looking at $500 to $600 if you sold them as a lot.

That's from my experience buying and selling mouthpieces on eBay for many years.
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell them as a lot. I would list them separately and bide my time. Its not like they take that much room while you wait for potential buyers. Check the price they are going for on ebay and list them but accept offers. You might also try reverb or ebay.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell them as a lot. I would list them separately and bide my time. Its not like they take that much room while you wait for potential buyers. Check the price they are going for on ebay and list them but accept offers.
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BossTone74

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry, JayKosta, spitvalve, jhatpro, JeffM729, sounds7

Thank you all for the solid advice.

kehaulani, I'll post links/price and pics for you

John Mohan, thank you sir for your condolences. I REALLY appreciate all of your advice, I got pretty emotional thinking about writing about him to sell his stash. Don't get me wrong, it'll be good therapy and I know they will go to someone just as obsessed with his playing as he was with his. Obviously some of these are difficult to price, since some of these don't pop up on ebay very often to at least provide a ballpark figure. Which is confusing, when I see something like this below for $880

https://thevintagehorn.com/product/vincent-bach-corp-mt-vernon-10-34cw/

Obviously this one in the above link, hasn't sold yet, however one sold on the same site went for $380, but that is crazy money for a mouthpiece. And I believe I have an early version.

I've got some work to do....Thank you ALL very much, all sound advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: