• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tenor Sax question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junanaphe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Tenor Sax question Reply with quote

I am looking at a Tenor on EBAY brand-new, Model TS3220SL. Problem is when i look at the ANTIGUA site that model is supposed to only come in classic Lacquered or Black nickel. It does not say it comes in Silver Plating, Silver plating is what i want, I am confused about
this situation. I may call the shop and ask to be sure, also in the item description it describes it as an ALTO, but the pic and number coincide with a TENOR, which is what i want. Confused.
https://shampoority.com/

Last edited by Junanaphe on Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NERO

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TS means tenor sax. I had one and they are good saxes from Taiwan. In the same class of carol brass I would say. I had the same model. Not bad at all..... But not the best professional model.
Silver plated saxes are very rare.... And basically not desirable. I'd stay with the laquer one
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I played saxes, mostly tenor, professionally. I never knew one player who had silver plating. The professed effect for a trumpet is not, necessarily, for sax.

Go for the mechanics, ergos and sound and forget about the finish. There is some debate about sax finish having different effects on sound, but unless you're really involved in the debate, you really have no perspective on the topic.

At any case, if you won't let go of the silver plate obsession, be sure to play the horn and compare it to others before plunking down your hard earned cash.

Be clear. I'm not saying silver plate will result in a bad horn I'm just saying it's not the preferred finish, so try before you buy.

Also, you stand a much better chance of getting a variety of good, professional advice on Sax on the Web forum. https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forum.php

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are more likely to find silver plate on a more "vintage" sax. I guess back in the day it was more popular. Over the years I've played with a ton of sax guys (I've played mainly tenor myself since the 80's) and have encountered very few silver plated saxes being used...
NERO

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver finish should give an extra punch... Or edge. Anyway you can change so much your sound with the right mouthpiece that finish becomes very much secondary. If you think that trumpet players are mad about mouthpieces.... Wait to be part of the sax community.... And sax pieces are so expensive.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused why the first post on a trumpet site is about a saxophone...

Regardless though, as a sax player myself who has gigged professionally just like kehaulani, he is spot on. My only silver plated sax is my vintage Beuscher bass sax. Antigua horns are high quality Taiwanese made instruments, and don't worry about the finish!

Yeah, I did that!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Tenor sax question Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would refer this discussion to the site Sax on the Web. It is a great site and very friendly and informative.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poliishing a saxophone in silver plate is no fun at all. Years ago cheaper horns were bead blasted and silverplated, leaving a matt finish and negating the need to buff and lacquer the instrument. Buffing saxophones is even less fun that polishing a silver one.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son plays a silver Yamaha also sax. He's had it for about 10 years, and has had no problems with maintenance or other issues.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: