• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chuck Mangione

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Chuck Mangione Reply with quote

Does anyone knows what he's up to these days? I can't find any tour dates or references later than 2012 and I'm wondering if maybe he's retired.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's probably doing what most of us aspire to do, whatever he feels like doing. This translates to enjoying the fruits of our previous accomplishments in a comfortable retirement.

Most performers have performing in our blood and many continue performing until they leave this planet. I can recall several famous musicians in interviews answering the question, "are you ever going to retire" the same way. They say something such as "retire from what? I do what I love to do. It's not really work for me. Why should I ever stop?" And rightfully so. Doing what you love elevates the spirit to the point of having positive physical effects on the body, thus prolonging life.

In Chuck's case it's possible that continuing to perform was not as viable an option as for people such as Buddy Rich, Doc, and Maynard. The last live recording that I ever saw of him was playing with a quartet in Cannes. He seemed to struggle mightily in that performance, which may be due in part to what happens to most of us when we age, our teeth shift and when they shift, they don't always maintain a contour that is quite as favorable for range, endurance, and technical facility. Whatever the case, I'm sure that Chuck is doing whatever he wants given the options he has.

I think that all trumpet players owe Chuck a debt of gratitude for composing such great music that featured the flugelhorn as his vehicle, giving massive exposure and appreciation to our instrument which probably pays dividends to each one of us right up to the current day. I still receive requests to play "Feels So Good" and I still enjoy playing it every bit as much as I did back in 1978 when the song was released.

I sure hope that he's still composing something for someone because he was gifted at that. I love his stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: