• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Non-Plated Mouthpieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carney2.0

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Non-Plated Mouthpieces? Reply with quote

I'm brand new to this very cool community (this is my first post) and have a general question on the various types of plating and non-plating options for mouthpieces.

I just picked up an unusual "Bell-Air Rite Cup 37" mouthpiece from the 1940s that appears to be naked brass. It's shallow with a ride rim - really allows me to "scream." I'm a comeback player after 11 years, and have been reading more about mouthpieces. What is the verdict on gold vs. silver plating? And, in the case of my Bell-Air, what is the argument for opting for just naked, beautiful brass? Does this actually change the lip feel (and perhaps embouchure) or playing comfort, or is it purely aesthetic? Thanks!
1925 Conn Director
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass contains lead. The science seems to be "out" but I wouldn't put a raw-brass mouthpiece to my lips. Of course I drink water poured through brass faucets and valves every day...

I guess it might turn your lips green too; I've seen posts from people with raw-brass instruments who say that can happen.

I believe the main argument for gold vs silver plating is to accommodate an allergy for one or the other, but also gold can feel "slipperier" and warms up more quickly.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth noting that gold plating is almost always applied on top of a layer of silver plate.

I'd silver plate for sure to avoid any of the possible complications from raw brass. Then I'd try to get my hands on some gold plated pieces just to try, to see if you detect a preference before ponying up the $$$ to gold plate over the silver.

FWIW I've tried gold and really wanted to like it because I thought it was cool. After a while I couldn't escape the fact that I really preferred silver. My current favorite piece is a gold plated underpart where I had the gold rim cut off and a silver rim threaded on.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TNTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get some silver plating on that thing. Brass is copper and zinc, which are fine for most people, but it's possible to have allergies with direct skin contact. I guess it's also possible that there's lead in brass, but I don't know how common that is. If for no other reason you'll probably taste the brass too.
I've actually turned some mouthpieces myself out of raw brass and the taste is the first thing I noticed.
As for gold plating, it's expensive and I've never noticed any benefit. However I'm probably not nearly as sensitive to those differences as more experienced players might be.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could duplicate the mouthpiece and have the duplicated one plated.

Ask James R. New at http://james-r-new.com/

Regarding mouthpiece duplication, please read this thread in its entirety.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNTrumpeter wrote:
Definitely get some silver plating on that thing. Brass is copper and zinc, which are fine for most people, but it's possible to have allergies with direct skin contact. I guess it's also possible that there's lead in brass, but I don't know how common that is. If for no other reason you'll probably taste the brass too.

Common yellow brass is close to 70/30 copper/zinc. It's easy to form around mandrels, work with tools, pour into moulds, etc.

Brass used in machining (called "leaded brass") often contains a small precentage of lead. Lead provides a lubricant property and allows for easier cutting. This is the brass used to make most mouthpieces.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: