• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rest In Peace our friend Jerry Callet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Rest In Peace our friend Jerry Callet Reply with quote

With tremendous sadness, I must let all of you know that Jerome Callet passed away this morning in NY. He continued to decline from a heart attack 6 months ago and passed away peacefully today, age 90.

One of the most passionate and progressive minds in the history of our instrument, Jerry’s innovations in trumpets, mouthpieces, and embouchure are niw legendary. As a teacher, his endless enthusiasm and creativity helped so many thousands of brass players around the world. And his huge personality always kept us laughing! Jerry has been my close personal friend for many years. I will miss him hugely. And he has been a sincere friend to every trumpet player that ever crossed his path. May he now rest in peace.

A memorial service in NYC is being planned for the near future. I’ll update our forum as I learn more. Best wishes to all of you.
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this. Jerome was a real innovator in the trumpet world he will be greatly missed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace, Jerry.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this Kyle.

Jerry Callet changed the trajectory of my trumpet playing and in many ways my life.

Rest in peace.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say I'm shocked in a huge understatement. I just talked to Jerry on his birthday. For many years, I have called Jerry on his birthday to wish him the best. He always had a tip for me and I would usually wind up buying his latest mouthpiece. I did this, not so much because I wanted another mouthpiece, but because Jerry has helped me so much since my beginning with him in 2001. I came to Jerry back then because I had lost my natural top front teeth and had a somewhat mangled top lip. Basically, I couldn't play. None of the local teachers in my area had any idea of how to help. A teacher at the NC School of the Arts listened to me and described my sound as "bizarre". That was truly crushing for someone whose identity had been that of a trumpet player. Somehow, I heard about Jerry and gave him a call. I'll never forget what he said... I'm the only guy on the planet that can help you! These past 18 or so years have been anything but easy but, thanks to Jerry, I can play well enough today to find some enjoyment and satisfaction in it. At least no one describes it as bizarre. I owe Jerome Callet a lot and I'll never forget him as my only true trumpet teacher.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very sorry to hear of this.. RIP Jerry..

Sincerely,
Flip Oakes
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Rest In Peace our friend Jerry Callet Reply with quote

I first met Jerry around 1974-75 and ended up studying with him for a couple of years. We remained friends to this day and I hope he is now in a better place. I will miss him. R.I.P. my friend.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long Jerome! RIP
ws tpt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Jerome Callet Reply with quote

A true innovator has passed. I first heard of Jerome while in college in the early 80's. As a lifelong student of the trumpet, I have always bought his texts, 1st,Trumpet Yoga, Superchops, Beyond Arban & his Trumpet Secrets. I remember my 1st call to his studio. I started out on a Bach 1 and played in the 1& 1 1/4 sizes for 20 years and suffered with endurance. I could play the piece, but it was a lot of daily work. Finally in 1995, I called Jerome and he immediately told me I would sound better with increased endurance on one of his 3 series mouthpieces. Going from a 1 1/4 to his 3 was absolutely the right move. To this day, I stay with a 3 rim, but use his Superchops 4 for a little help when a long playing day/evening comes up. I also play his original Callet/DEG NY Bb and Soloist. Jerome always was kind to return a call and he always passed a tip along. While not a TCE player, but like the late long time TH poster, Lex Samu (RIP Lex), I took those things which worked for me and incorporated them into my playing. Jerome's innovations and ideas will live on. Thank you Jerry and sympathies to his wife Yumiko, many students and his closest friends. All the best, ws trumpet
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Jerry
47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this.

Like MANY, I had the pleasure of going to Jerry's home and taking a lesson.

He was VERY enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge and helping others improve their playing.

RIP
1948 Holton Model 48
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad,

Truly one of the nicest and most enthusiastic people i have ever met.

Drove past his house just last week.

Rest in Peace Mr Callet !!

Tom
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this.

I met mr. Callet in I think 2004 when he was doing a workshop in Germany. What struck me most, was that he was his own embouchure laboratory. At that time he was experimenting with Einsetzen on the top lip, which, to be honest, sounded quite awful. But he fact that he was willing to try it and see where it would lead him, won me over. This was a true open mind. He will be missed.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saddened to hear this and at the same time glad for him that he was able to live a long life and do the things for which he had a lot of passion.

I owe Jerry a debt of gratitude as he was actually the catalyst for a major turning point in my progress on the trumpet. In a single brief session in which he donated his time and attention to me, he got me to let go of fallacies that I had been taught previously and set me in the right direction.

Thank you Jerry and may you rest in peace.
STV

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this news.

I wandered into a music shop several decades ago and bought a Callet Jazz and this set me on a new journey and changed my trumpet playing completely.

Thanks for everything Jerry - you'll be greatly missed but know that you made such a difference to so many people.
MannyCandelario

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Goodbye for now my friend. See you later Jerry Reply with quote

I have known Jerome Callet for some 32 years and he truly was a kind and very giving person. He gave of his talents to us all trumpet players that would embrace his genius. The trumpets he made are/were of great quality, mouthpieces and teaching was truly genius in my eyes.

I remember trading my first Bach 72 lightweight trumpet for one of his first Soloist trumpets back in 1987. Great sounding horn, but what I really remember was this somewhat shy and frighten young man from New Haven, Connecticut venturing to New York City to meet Jerome Callet and to tryout one of his trumpets. Jerry immediately sensed by nervousness, shyness and just starting talking about making trumpet playing easier and more fun. He played for me and then with me easy duets from Arban book, said here now try it on this trumpet. He helped me relax enough to make a good decision about trumpet choices. Jerry noticed I was playing with tension and gave me some pointer on relaxation and deep relax breathing. A free trumpet Yoga book followed.

Throughout these years our relationship grow and Jerry became a great resource and friend. Alway very helpful and patient, always trying to find a way to help me grow as a trumpet player and as a person I will miss him dearly R.I.P my friend, my mentor, my teacher. See you later...

Manny Candelario
Daveman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Rest In Peace Reply with quote

Jerry changed my whole trumpet world. Before I adopted his techniques I played 4th trumpet in my big band. I now play lead.
Was always exciting to read about his latest embouchure innovations.
Very sad for so many reasons and so generous with his time, but what a fabulous legacy to leave behind.
Huge loss.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met Mr. Callet but I have no doubt he was a wonderful person as I have never read anything but positive accolades about him. To those that knew and loved him, I am very sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different story... I went to one of Jerry's workshops at an ITG conference years ago and he changed my trumpet playing (for the better, of course!). The weird thing is that I was able to adapt his TCE technique to playing the flute! I could never get a decent sound out of the flute before that workshop and now the flute is my primary instrument! Still play the trumpet, but not as much as the flute. Sorry to say this on the trumpet forum, but I kinda like the flute better! I play an Irish (simple system) flute with a trad Irish band and the Boehm at church services.

Thanks, Jerry and teach TCE to Gabriel!!!
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I never met Mr. Callet but I have no doubt he was a wonderful person as I have never read anything but positive accolades about him. To those that knew and loved him, I am very sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

Nice thought John. I studied with Jerry for a while. I used what worked for me and discarded what didn't. He was very passionate about trumpet. It doesn't matter if you agree with his ideas. He loved what he did and would share his knowledge with anyone who asked him for help. It wasn't a job to Jerry, it was more like a mission.
Jerry was indeed an extremely nice man.His wife Yumiko is a very nice woman as well.
The last time I saw Jerry he was teaching out of his home in Staten Island. He had some kind of fitness contraption that you did push ups on. After our session we spent a few minutes doing push ups on this device. I'm a bit of a gym rat. He complimented my fitness level.
I can attest to his power and range. Jerry was in is mid 60's when I first went to him and his range and power were insane.
Rest in peace Jerome, you will be missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: