• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Outer diameter shank size of Callet mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Outer diameter shank size of Callet mouthpieces Reply with quote

I have a few Callet mouthpieces, from the 90s, I believe. Haven't played them in quite a while and when I just tried them I noticed they bottomed out in all my trumpet receivers, including some fairly small I.D. ones (like an two 30s peashooters, one from Conn and one from Buescher). Was this part of Jerome's design? Did his Kanstul made horns come with especially small receivers? Any other ideas.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare the open ends (the OD) of the Callet mpc with other brands to see if they are smaller.
It might also be that the taper of the Callet shaft is less than others.
The tapers can be compared by placing the shanks on a flat surface, and then placing another FLAT item (maybe a metal ruler or bar) on top of the shanks - the top bar should rest evenly on both shanks, no tilts or wobbles.
The 'standard' size and taper of trumpet mpc is known as Morse 1 .

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Morse 1” refers to a specific small end and large end dimensions. So a mouthpiece is not a “Morse 1”. A Morse 1, 2, 3 etc all have the same rate of taper. Mouthpieces have that same rate of taper .050 over 1.000

You can call that a Morse taper, but not a Morse 1
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
jhl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Callet trumpet mouthpiece narrow shank Reply with quote

These Callet mpcs are at most 1/4" longer than standard, but are a smidge shorter than a standard Schilke mpc. They don't bottom out because of the diameter at the end of the shank, but because of the narrowing taper coupled with their length. Still waiting to get input from someone familiar with Callet mpcs. BTW -- these are all for sale in the Marketplace. Each has a pristine rim and shank.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Jerry didn’t spec smaller ID receivers on his trumpets. And to my knowledge, all his mouthpieces had standard tapers. I’ve seen a zillion mouthpieces from every maker go into Callet Trumpets without trouble. But I also remember bottoming out an older one myself a number of years ago. That was due to the extra length of the mouthpiece combined with a little stretch in the receiver ID on an older trumpet. Specs I just measured.
Total length:
9.6cm = older Callet 635CV (made in Callet shop)
9.4cm = current Callet Superchops 8 (Made by Jim New)
9.3cm = Bach 7C (Not vintage)

Insertion line:
3.2cm on 635
3 on SC-8 and on Bach

- Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: