• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Barbara Butler podcast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Barbara Butler podcast Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I did a podcast episode with Barbara Butler and it’s finally available! It’s a long interview, only because she has so much great stuff to say I wanted to get it all. You can find it here:

https://thatsnotspit.com/2019/08/01/barbara-butler-ep-23/

Hope you enjoy.. let me know what you think if you get a chance to listen!

Ryan
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm half way through it, Ryan. Great interview of Ms. Butler! Also, you have a very good speaking voice, nice and resonant, and your delivery of thought seems natural and well-thought-out! Kudos for this contribution to the trumpet community!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to listen to it! She's an amazing teacher.
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I'm half way through it, Ryan. Great interview of Ms. Butler! Also, you have a very good speaking voice, nice and resonant, and your delivery of thought seems natural and well-thought-out! Kudos for this contribution to the trumpet community!

That's really nice of you to say! Sometimes I feel like I'm not great at finding the right words, but I'm glad that the message still comes through.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great interview! Makes me wish I had Barbara Butler and Charlie Geyer as teachers too. Just listening to the podcast makes me understand why their students are so successful.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved this podcast! Except she never read the list of common characteristics of her most successful students...if you can, please post out here! Thanks
lclebsch215

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Loved this podcast! Except she never read the list of common characteristics of her most successful students...if you can, please post out here! Thanks

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1028741
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She referenced 'spin' several times. At first I thought she meant something akin to vibratro, but a few times she mentioned them both in the same sentence. Any of her former students able to shed some light on exactly what she means by the term?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
She referenced 'spin' several times. At first I thought she meant something akin to vibratro, but a few times she mentioned them both in the same sentence. Any of her former students able to shed some light on exactly what she means by the term?

While I haven't listened to the podcast yet, I'm sure she's referring to vibrancy in the sound. Here's an excerpt from my lesson with Jim Wilt a number of years ago, and "spin" is a word that he used to describe this concept:

Chasing the Sound

As I was applying the concept of slow valves on the opening on the Charlier, Jim told me that I needed to dig deeper into the sound. "It's good playing, but there needs to be more depth in the sound." He mentioned that one of his students had just come back from having a lesson with Michael Sachs and Michael has stressed the idea of chasing the sound and finding where the intensity is greatest. Even at a mp-mf there should be a sense of direction in the sound.

Jim modeled a sound that was close to what I had just played and said, "There's nothing wrong with that, nothing offensive about it. But from a musical standpoint, when I listen to it, it doesn't move me. What I'm doing with the air 'is talking like this' (similar to how Marlon Brando might sound in the Godfather) 'Instead of Like This' (the Radio Announcer voice that Jens Lindemann describes). It has more purpose to it. I'm not using any more air, but it's more directional. This time when I play the phrase, it might be a slight bit louder, but I'm looking for more direction in the sound, like I'm going somewhere with it. You'll hear more spin in the sound".
rbtrumpet86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

I forgot to get it from her.. I'll do my best to follow up with her and see if I can get that list!
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

While I haven't listened to the podcast yet, I'm sure she's referring to vibrancy in the sound. Here's an excerpt from my lesson with Jim Wilt a number of years ago, and "spin" is a word that he used to describe this concept:

Chasing the Sound

As I was applying the concept of slow valves on the opening on the Charlier, Jim told me that I needed to dig deeper into the sound. "It's good playing, but there needs to be more depth in the sound." He mentioned that one of his students had just come back from having a lesson with Michael Sachs and Michael has stressed the idea of chasing the sound and finding where the intensity is greatest. Even at a mp-mf there should be a sense of direction in the sound.

Jim modeled a sound that was close to what I had just played and said, "There's nothing wrong with that, nothing offensive about it. But from a musical standpoint, when I listen to it, it doesn't move me. What I'm doing with the air 'is talking like this' (similar to how Marlon Brando might sound in the Godfather) 'Instead of Like This' (the Radio Announcer voice that Jens Lindemann describes). It has more purpose to it. I'm not using any more air, but it's more directional. This time when I play the phrase, it might be a slight bit louder, but I'm looking for more direction in the sound, like I'm going somewhere with it. You'll hear more spin in the sound".

+1 I would like to add that the tone should have the same quality (color), resonance, intensity at all dynamic levels from pp to ff.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer Derek. Very interesting. Just never heard that term used that way before.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbtrumpet86 wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:

I forgot to get it from her.. I'll do my best to follow up with her and see if I can get that list!

Thanks so much!!!
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has a masterclass here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5UIiIwzfE

On it, her list for students is talent, work ethic, intelligence of work, and perseverance.

Thanks for doing the podcast!
chi2lon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually be really curious to hear more about her list of 20 strengths to weakness. What is it today? What was it 10 years ago? What skill is she most proud of? Etc.
Toshi 16EWS
Bb - Schagerl Hans Gansch
Laskey 75MC
Eb/D - Yamaha 9610
Laskey PIC
Picc - Stomvi Elite
Monette B2 FL R6/FLG2
Cornet - Stomvi Titan
Flugel - Adams F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: