• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clearsonic isopac for practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcs

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Clearsonic isopac for practice Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Clearsonic Isopacs for practice?

I live in a condo townhouse complex surrounded by NIMBY (“not in my back yard) types and I’d rather not be chased out of my home by a mob of angry villagers brandishing torches

I’ve been using the Yamaha Silent Brass (the newer model) to practice, and even though I love it, I do get tired much faster than if I’m open blowing, and I struggle to get through more than a few bars without stopping to catch my breath. Plus I have to empty the spit valve every couple of minutes

I looked at whisper-room type booths, but we don’t have anywhere we could put a 4’ square felt-covered Tardis, and I’m not sure how I’d feel practicing in a giant coffin lit only by the glow of some LEDs

Clearsonic makes some lexan booths that wouldn’t look so overpowering in the room, and seem like you wouldn’t feel boxed in. Plus, I believe they can be folded away if necessary.

However, I’m curious how much they actually reduce the sound. I know it’s not going to be a soundproof solution the way a heavy box would, but I wondered how much it would attenuate the sound. Specifically the Isopac G.

If it means I can practice in the day/early evening without annoying the neighbors, I’m happy to keep using the SB if I get an urge to practice in the wee small hours but switch to the Clearsonic for most of my practice time so I can free-blow.

And please don’t suggest other alternatives like converting a closet, or trying to charm the neighbors - my choices are either stick with the SB or incorporate the Clearsonic into my practice routine
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NIMBY crowd might not mind as much if you practiced in your own backyard or even inside.

You could try playing into a bed blanket or moving blanket. Making a box shape with five sides to capture sound from all but one direction might be enough.
robcs

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I forgot to mention I also have to keep the wife happy I’ve tried blankets and duvets but it wasn’t enough
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I find this entire conversation baffling! <ba-dump..dump>

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. Tim Allen says that puns are the lowest form of humor, which tells you where I am on the comedian circuit!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: