Joined: 21 Jul 2009
|Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: Phil Cobb interview (plus many more..!)
I watched the whole thing. Phil Cobb said some interesting things.
There are LSO recordings on youtube of Mahler 6, Rite of Spring, Janacek Sinfonietta with him playing lead.
1. He wants to preserve the tradition of Bb trumpet in the LSO.
2. He thinks Bb has more options for color and has better pitch.
4. Go for the sound because if it sounds good, the mechanics are working
5. Most days he doesn't do any playing at all before the job. In general he
doesn't practice much because of all of the job related playing.
6. He uses a lot of mouthpieces, switching, if its not working, right away.
7. He never gets away from nerves but has learned how to handle them.
Maybe others got some different "take aways"?