• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sweet Cornet Sound

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Just listen to Warren Vache on cornet. The man is an absolute beast on this instrument. A true genius who has flown under the radar for over 40 years.

Warren is still playing as far as I know. I heard him with the Newport All-Stars a few years ago. Jon Faddis was leading and I believe that Nicholas Payton was on it too. Warren stood out in very heavy company.

Listen also to Ruby Braff and Bobby Hackett (RIP both).
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
Hi Lou,

Hi EricV

Shame about the clicking but as you say its probably just annoying if no one else seems to notice.

Yes, I agree.

Re the cornet that Jim Shepherd played in the 60's, i know that Black Dyke and CWS Manchester were among the first bands to convert to low pitch and they used Besson International cornets around 1966,

Very interesting, thanks very much.

My Zeno is great, funny though i have just started playing with another band (groan says my wife....lol) and they have given me a 2 year old hardly used sovereign to try, and i think i prefer my sound on the Zeno, whilst the Besson is great in many ways, im just not sure its any better for me than the Zeno.

I love my Xeno. As GordonH of this forum has said quite a few times, player preference over the Sovereign or Xeno often comes down to whether you prefer a cornet mouthpiece with a tighter throat/backbore (in which case you'll probably prefer the blow of the Xeno) or more open throat/backbore (in which you'll probably prefer the blow of the Sovereign).

Happy banding

Happy banding to you too.

Cheers
EricV

Cheers to you also

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: