• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Boosey & Hawkes Cornet ID and parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi12547

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Boosey & Hawkes Cornet ID and parts Reply with quote

Hello!

I bought a Boosey & Hawkes cornet but I can't seem to determine what model it is. I'm wondering if someone could help me out .

Something else is that I'd like new valve guides/springs but I can't seem to find them anywhere. The guide for the 3rd valve is so corroded that I can rotate the valve in the casing with the horn fully assembled.

Any help would be appreciated!

FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number on the valve case indicates 1925/26. The number on the bell indicates 1941/42, and it says it's low pitch. So you need to check if it really is low pitch. The valves are the same style as the Imperials. The spring extends rather than compresses. If you remove the suspension peg/guide be careful not to loose the spring inside the valve. I had an Imperial with one guide missing and due to unavailability of parts had to fabricate a replacement from a lyre stem. I don't hold out much hope that you will source new spares, but good luck. If you are in the UK your chances are better. Cheers, Frank.
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
Hi12547

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankM wrote:
The number on the valve case indicates 1925/26. The number on the bell indicates 1941/42, and it says it's low pitch. So you need to check if it really is low pitch. The valves are the same style as the Imperials. The spring extends rather than compresses. If you remove the suspension peg/guide be careful not to loose the spring inside the valve. I had an Imperial with one guide missing and due to unavailability of parts had to fabricate a replacement from a lyre stem. I don't hold out much hope that you will source new spares, but good luck. If you are in the UK your chances are better. Cheers, Frank.

Thanks, Frank! That was really helpful.

Judging by the mismatching dates and lack of a model name, do you have a guess as to its history or where it came from?
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try looking at Hornucopia for instruments in the two different time periods. Bob Stevenson might be able to cast some light, if he sees this thread. Cheers, Frank
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: