• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Memorial dinner for Jerome Callet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Memorial dinner for Jerome Callet Reply with quote

I am very pleased to announce the following memorial dinner for our dear friend and mentor, Jerome Callet:

Monday, June 17th
McLoone's Bayonne Grille
400 Route 440 North
Bayonne NJ, 07002

7:00pm - 8:00 reception with cash bar
Followed by dinner buffet compliments of Yumiko, Toby, and Callet Trumpets

We encourage you to share an important or humorous memory of Jerome with all of us. Bring your trumpet and join us in a celebratory trumpet quartet that Jerome will surely hear.

Spouses and significant others are warmly welcome
*Please RSVP by June 7th to info@CalletTrumpets.com

A very sincere thank you to all for your kind thoughts of the past two weeks. Yumiko, Toby, and I are forever grateful. We hope to see many of you at this special event in memory of the ever searching maestro who dedicated his life to helping so many of us.

Thank you, Kyle
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept waiting for someone to report or comment on the memorial dinner and since no one has, I will. Being an 18-year student of Jerry's, and owing all I can do today to him, I felt the least I could do was show up. I'm so glad I did. There were a good number of great trumpeters there, many with precious stories of their experiences with Jerry. I think we were all reminded of just what a caring person and great teacher Jerry was. All of us that had a personal relationship with him miss him greatly. I believe I can safely say, there will never be another one quite like him.

My lessons with Jerry started in 2001. Probably 10 years or so before that, I had lost my natural top front teeth and had a damaged top lip. I went from being a "decent" player to one that couldn't play at all. For over a year, I couldn't even play a tuning C. No teachers in my area, including teachers at universities with trumpet programs and even the local NC School of the Arts had any idea of how to help me. A friend suggested I call Jerome Callet. I followed up on that suggestion and gave Jerry a call. After telling him my sad little story, he said, "I'm the only man on the planet that can help you" and, as it turns out, he was. In the following years, I took face-to-face and phone lessons and slowly but surely, I began to get some ability back. There has never been a "magic" moment where the light suddenly came on but gradually, I started playing again. Even though I started as a rank amateur, who had to be the worst sounding student he ever taught, he treated me with care, patience, and respect. Along the way, our relationship transitioned from student-teacher to student-friend. As the commercial says, the value of this experience has been priceless.

OK...back to the memorial dinner. I met several great players who were all friendly and interesting. Of course, most were playing pros. We sight-read a couple of songs and, as you might imagine, it was pretty wild! I wish we could have kept going but it was getting very late. I was so glad also that I got to talk to Yumiko and Toby and I finally got to meet Ralph Salamone and Kyle Schmeer. Truly, it was a night to remember! Thanks again to all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: