• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Small Group Amplification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmtrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Small Group Amplification Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a mic/amp to take a little more "control" of my sound and required volume on my small group gigs...anybody found a setup that works really well? Curious as to what folks might be using!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Group Amplification Reply with quote

jmtrumpet wrote:
I'm looking to get a mic/amp to take a little more "control" of my sound and required volume on my small group gigs...anybody found a setup that works really well? Curious as to what folks might be using!

Most of my gigs are with a jazz trio (trumpet, piano, bass). When I want to amplify my sound, I use a Shure SM58 mic with a Roland Cube Street amp.

The Roland Cube Street is rated at only 5 watts, but this is somewhat misleading. It has more than enough power for most small to mid-sized gigs, and provides as much clean sound as amps in the 200+ watt range. It also has a nice array of effects (reverb, echo, chorus, etc.).

However, when I need a lot of sound, I use a pair of Alto TS310 powered speakers (2000 peak watts each), with a Yamaha MG10xu mixer. But I only use this setup for larger outdoor gigs.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Stevenplaysbrass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on venue and what I'm looking for as far as controlling group sound, I use either my Shure 98H/C clip on through a small mixer and PA speaker for myself, or I've had some success running a Zoom H2 condenser through a speaker as a sort of "sound reinforcement" for the whole group, just to send the sound out to avoid over blowing.
Conn 22B
HN White King Liberty #1049
HN White King Liberty Large Bore Artist Model
HN White King Flugelhorn#1071
Getzen Eterna Bass trumpet
Ed Kruspe BBb tuba
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yamaha sound system for my combo:
Yamaha MG10XU mixer
2 Yamaha DBR12 powered speakers
Shure SM58 microphones
On-Stage speaker stands

Easy to transport, simple to set up and adjust, ample power for a large restaurant/bar venue.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha StagePas 500w PA that I use. It has enough oomph to fill a good-sized room, and the mixer really helps contour the sound. I use a Sennheiser MD441 for my trumpet and flugelhorn and an Electrovoice RE20 for my front-line partner on tenor, soprano, and flute. I sometimes sing with the quintet, and that would be more or less impossible without the PA.
I do a lot of gigs where the group is called on to play quietly, sort of. The system lets me use Harmon mute very effectively( a little bass boost and a touch of reverb). I think I've had the system for about nine years, and no problems whatsoever. Compact and easy to set up/pack up.
I think the latest version is 600w, but basically the same thing.
The only thing I would suggest is the importance of using really good mics.
Both the MD441 and RE20 are dynamics, and they both sound really good. MUCH better than the SM57/58 that are so commonly used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: