• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3rd valve slide rotary trigger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: 3rd valve slide rotary trigger Reply with quote

Anyone here had a 3rd valve slide rotary trigger installed into their horn? what are the results? how useful is it to have?

Last edited by DJtpt31 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure whether you are talking about a transposing trigger or a pitch adjuster. Usually third slide has only a ring or a trigger (like the Olds Recording). Transposing triggers are usually a 4th valve deal.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are invaluable. Intonation needs to be correct, and not needing to push pitch about is rather handy these days. My rotary Bb and C both have double 1/3 valve triggers. Rotary D had a custom fitted 3rd valve trigger, and my corno da caccia has a triple trigger (1, 3 & 4).

cheers

Andy
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
Not sure whether you are talking about a transposing trigger or a pitch adjuster. Usually third slide has only a ring or a trigger (like the Olds Recording). Transposing triggers are usually a 4th valve deal.

A transposing trigger to reach different pitches. Similar to the piccolo tpt with the rotary trigger.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to venture out that you're asking about what Ivan Hunter, of Jaeger Brass, refers to as a 3rd slide extension valve - 3rd set of pictures from top, here:
http://www.jaegerbrass.com/services/modification.html

These are quite well-known from the Yamaha YTR-9825 piccolo (and before then, when their 3-valve piccs were equally common to the P5-4, Schilke), a 3-valve piston instrument with a rotary valve on the 3rd slide allowing access to lower notes found in baroque literature.

While several brass techs may be known to install such devices, Hunter/Jaeger has made a name for himself, separate from his line of horns, in part due to his success adding Bb and C quarter-tone valves, ascending valves for D/C and C/Bb instruments, and also these 3rd slide extensions. Although I haven't pulled the trigger on one (pun!), I've been toying with the idea of getting a few lower notes on a D trumpet I regularly play, which was built by my teacher. The nice thing about slide extensions - including the Yamaha/Schilke examples, and Ivan Hunter's - is that they're as simple to add-on as they are to remove, so long as you have a replacement slide at the ready.

The added weight can be notable, especially the longer/lower the instrument happens to be. That said, if one is looking to play a C trumpet in Bb range (say, Shostakovich Piano Concerto), a little added heft may well be an asset, however the limited experience I've had with 3-valve piccolos always had me preferring the regular-sized 3rd valve slide whenever possible.

Why do you ask? What are you looking to expand?

Happy practicing - false pedals, and all!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin wrote:
... a 3-valve piston instrument with a rotary valve on the 3rd slide allowing access to lower notes found in baroque literature.

Danbassin wrote:

Why do you ask? What are you looking to expand?

Exactly that! to access lower notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: