• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Mutes Reply with quote

Hi

What are your thoughts on mutes ? Specially Harmon
I mean what brand(s) have your favor and why ?

Yesterday, I had a gig where I played with my Harmon Joral Bubble Copper in a Big Band setting but I was dissapointed with the ' power ' that was lacking from it.
Just did a research on the Net and I noticed this name : the Zinger ! Appealing to me...

Any thoughts appreciated

JiCe
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,, I never thought the Jo-Ral bubble, especially the copper one, lacked power... quite appropriate for big band, pit and solo work-with or without the stem.
One thing to remember - if you're like me, most of the time that you're muted, it is section work. Important to have a good blend - the same mutes or ones that blend is important! (i.e. Tom Crown straight mutes play great, but sound unique enough that they don't blend well with Wick, Jo-Ral, Vacchiano mutes.)

Zinger is wonderfull.. expensive, but not sure how they blend - a bit more "open" than most harmons ??

The Soulo, is excellent too, I find it sounds very much like the Jo-Ral but weigh a lot less. comes with a plastic stem, sounds fine with the stem in.

So any of those 3 in your bag and you should be golden.

I also carry a Denis Wick Harmon - smaller, more of an "old school" Harmon sound..

To finish the "bag of mutes':

Cup = Stonelined (properly fitted), Denis Wick adjustable, Jo-Ral (especially for my Bach Commercial, which has a slightly larger bell), Warburton Woody, Soulo adjustable (I've added felt to the cup to get a more traditional tone)

Straight = Denis Wick, Jo-Ral (copper bottom), Soulo

Bucket = EAZY Bucket

Plunger = Mutec Plunger, when I get picky (great sound, and big enough to work with a pixie mute)

Solo Tone = Mute Meister "Show Tone"
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sense of the copper Jo-Ral is that it may not sound loud close up, but it projects like crazy. The first time I played it in the orchestra, my wife was sitting across the room and asked me if I got the new mute because it was louder. From where I was sitting, it sounded pretty much the same.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a few harmon mutes. My thoughts:

Copper Jo-Ral - I have one of the old ones. It's quite heavy. I agree 100% with Nonsense Eliminator above. It doesn't give you a lot of feedback behind the bell but it is very loud out front. Great mute if you can stand the weight on your horn.

Emo - Extremely lightweight with a ferocious buzz. If you want a mute that cuts through a big band, this one is worth a look. Very responsive and has a very "traditional" harmon sound, so you'll be able to blend with a section when you need to.

Trumcor "Zinger" - the best of both worlds. Great core to the sound like the Jo-Ral, and buzzes like crazy. It does have a very unique sound so I don't think it would blend with a section. However, it's so in tune and has such great soloist tone that it's my go-to for jazz combo work. If you're looking to cut through a big band this one could also be a great choice.

(I never play with big bands any more, so please take the above with that in mind. I play almost exclusively with small combos.)

Finally, the harmon mute in general is meant to be played into a mic. It's quiet by design! If you're trying to cut through a big band without amplification with a harmon mute, you are going to be one unhappy trumpet player. So I just hope you are mic'd up.

I hope the above is helpful! You can never have too many mutes so maybe you should just buy them all and see which you like best.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's also important to know what overtone range is provided from the mute. Projection with a mute, particularly in a solo setting, can be influenced by whether or not it reinforces upper partials or middle ones.

For the record, my harmon-type mute is also a J-Ral copper mute.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can listen to most of these on Youtube to get some idea of how they compare. Of course they will sound better in real life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: