• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with evaluating trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeliaRoberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Help with evaluating trumpets Reply with quote

Hi All;

I'm new to this list and have an unusual question. My husband was a trumpet enthusiast, he died 9 years ago and we are finally ready to let his trumpets go. There are two in particular that I need help evaluating and I had thought to post them in your marketplace but I see I can't do that unless I participate in the forums. I live in rural British Columbia so I can't just take them to the local instrument store. Can anyone help me figure out their value? One is a Schilke B5L and the other an Eclipse. The proceeds will go to a scholarship that we set up in his memory for music students at the local high school.

Thanks!
mbauer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there's somebody here that could give you a really good answer, but you might also get some conflicting answers. I think your best bet might be contacting a brass shop, as they often do appraisals and have a lot of experience with pricing used instruments to sell.
I'm not positive if these guys will be able to give you an appraisal without actually having the horns in hand, but some of your options might be Chuck Levin's, Austin Custom Brass, or J Landress Brass. You can find all of them online.
Just to give you a general idea, the Schilke is probably between $1,500 and 2,500 depending on condition and the Eclipse is probably $2,000 to 3,000. Poor condition may make them less. Hope this helps!
DeliaRoberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I had them professionally cleaned by a local instrument repair person and he said they are in as new condition. I'll try emailing the store you recommended
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look on eBay, completed sales. They won't have many, as those are rare (and fine) horns.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get them to Courtenay, Nanaimo, Victoria or Vancouver, it might be worth your while to place them on consignment in a music store in one of those cities - Vancouver would be the best, of course, as a store there would get more foot traffic. Having the store deal with things like shipping and returns might be worth giving away 40% of the value of the horns, since those tasks from a rural location could well prove to be a nightmare.
DeliaRoberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had that thought - I'll be in Vancouver this summer and thought I might take them by Long and Mcquade to see what they say. Haha, there is some sentiment associated with meeting the new owner though, as they say, we live on through music
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeliaRoberts wrote:
Yes, I had that thought - I'll be in Vancouver this summer and thought I might take them by Long and Mcquade to see what they say. Haha, there is some sentiment associated with meeting the new owner though, as they say, we live on through music

If you are going to Vancouver try finding Davies Brass & Woodwind repair (On Main Streer). It's a new location - but the repair Tech Andrew has been doing repairs in Vancouver for years and mentioned to me he may start doing consignments on vintage instruments. I'd skip Long & McQuade unless you plan to trade them in on other musical items.
If I was based in Vancouver still I'd love to own the Schilke B5L.

PM me if you need any further assistance.

Rgds, Shawn (Zman)
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delia,

I know you wrote that it's been 9 years, but I still want to send my condolences. I might have lost my wife this past December when she had a heart attack. I'm grateful for each day I get to spend with her. Someday, she too might not be here.

I hope you get more than those horns are worth, since there is no price that is enough!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
DeliaRoberts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian, I hope that your wife is doing well now. I am surprised to find the emotion that parting with the trumpets has brought back....
breden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - I'm in the local area (Surrey) and if you do make it out to the lower mainland - drop by Matterhorn Music in Surrey. David (the owner) can give you an honest appraisal. He also does some consignment sales (does most of the main brass pro's repairs work in Vancouver - very reputable and honest guy) Send me a message if you need more help to steer you in a direction - hope things work out well and will also keep an ear open for anyone local that would be interested in the horns. Take Care and good luck!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thompson Music in Omaha, Nebraska currently has a B5 for sale for $1,800. The horn is described as being in "near mint condition" with some "light scratching in the bell, possibly from a trumpet stand, one small dent in the third valve slide with minimal signs of use and no case."

The B5 has a permanently attached bell. The B5L is the tunable bell model. In equal condition a B5L is worth a couple hundred dollars more than a B5. The case might add another $100 or so.

So, if your Schilke B5L is in "like new" condition a figure of $2,000 to $2,250 would be reasonable. Not a "bargain" price but a "reasonable" price.
DeliaRoberts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi;

Yes both the Schilke and Eclipse are tunable, with cases, no dents or scratches.

Thanks also for the recommendation of Matterhorn Music in Surrey - I'll be sure to get in touch with David.

Really appreciate everyone's comments!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: