• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BA supplemental etudes and exercises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: BA supplemental etudes and exercises? Reply with quote

Jeff Smiley's Balanced Embouchure is, at least for me, very helpful. But I have a question. The Balanced Embouchure is balanced with regard to embouchure development and a few peripheral other factors, but the Lesson Plans are not, taken as a whole, balanced.

Jeff refers to exercises and etudes included in his Balanced Embouchure supplemental book but it has not been published nor, to my knowledge, anything is offered in it's place.

What exercises and etudes do you suggest for Beginning and Intermediate player (please segregate)? I'm not looking for a number of additional references to be used, a la Claude Gordon, but something(s) concise. Thank you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE is designed to be part of a daily practice routine. Lots of different etude and technical books will fill the other needs, and those books depend on the preference of the teacher.

The other books I was planning were not designed to make a daily routine more "balanced," but instead to address how to start a raw beginner on the BE exercises, to teach swing time, and to give advanced BE concepts to teachers.

A concise list of additional materials will vary from teacher to teacher. There are the usual suspects like Clarke's Technical and Arbans. The specific assignment of those materials depends to some degree on the ability of the student.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, thanks for personally responding, Jeff.

After rereading my OP, I can see how some might find it a little critical. It's not meant to be that way. I was just noting an absence of additional sources and wondering who used what for these additional materials.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: