• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Love RI #3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_Manness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Love RI #3 Reply with quote

I just wanted to say how well BE and specifically RI #3 have been maintaining my chops. My practice schedule has been shortened the past month with the birth of my daughter, so I have had to be more efficient with getting ready to play.

Bottom line, if I don't do RI #3, my corners blow out and I can't resist the air properly in the upper register. I do vary the exercise to keep things interesting, but I keep the spirit of the exercise by staying rolled-in and starting on top of the staff. When I come back to the trumpet later in the day, I always start with RI #3 to get my chops focused.

And in case people are curious what my range is like, I'm a consistent, screaming high-A guy now, thanks to BE (with a big assist to my Stomvi-USA LynnFlex CC mpc).

-Jon
Stomvi Elite Copper Flugel
'37 Conn 80a Cornet
'42 Conn 22b Trumpet
Stomvi-USA Mouthpieces
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Jon!

I don't know exact percentages, but players doing RI and RO exercises tend to favor one over the other. For players who favor the RI exercises, I think you are right. Number 3 tends to be very important. For those who favor RO, the RO #3 exercise seems to be the most valuable for quickly establishing the correct "feel."

Jeff
tjilp

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 years of practicing BE, both RI and RO are now my basic daily push-ups.
Maybe RI is more kind-of static lip position, while RO is a bit more dynamically applied, but basically I use them both in one integrated embouchure, which is more or less the same in all registers.

(For me, RI & RO come together in the "p"-attack: start a note without tonguing, forming a "p" or "mp" with the lips. (The m is the RI, the p the RO)
I do this exercise on quarter notes).

So, for me, RI and RO need equal maintenance to keep making progress in sound and range. (But I'm not a screaming high-A guy, yet...)

Maarten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: