• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Removing silver plating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Removing silver plating Reply with quote

My Schilke B1 is beginning to flake in a few spots. Has anyone out there had silver plating removed?

Is it a case of buffing off, or a chemical/electrical process?

Any pics out there of a B1 with no plating?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had send in the past my Lawler TL5-1A to Schagerl shop and they remove the old silver and silverplated but I don't know how they do it, the one I now is that they have done great job becose I bout the horn in new condition the 2004 and the second year the silver have gone at contact points , I send it to Schager atl 2009 and after ten year's the silver is like the first day.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my Bach Strad's silver removed by Anderson silver plating a few years ago. It came back looking a bit splotchy, mostly raw brass with a few tiny areas with some silver left on the 3rd slide where the two braces are. Based on that, I would guess they used a reverse plating process. Since I am a brass tech, it wasn't a big deal for me to polish out the splotchy areas. I think I spent about $100 + shipping.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffing would remove a lot of metal and be very hard to do evenly. Usually chemical and the chemicals are usually nasty things you would not want around (and are hard to dispose of properly). Even with chemical nooks and crannies are hard to clear. Personally I'd take it to a good shop and get it refinished (in silver). I have not heard of "removing the old silver" but not something I really know; I would have assumed they would have buffed and cleaned as much (little) as needed then replated.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gord-o wrote:
I had my Bach Strad's silver removed by Anderson silver plating a few years ago. It came back looking a bit splotchy, mostly raw brass with a few tiny areas with some silver left on the 3rd slide where the two braces are. Based on that, I would guess they used a reverse plating process. Since I am a brass tech, it wasn't a big deal for me to polish out the splotchy areas. I think I spent about $100 + shipping.

Yes, I too have had Anderson strip plating, both gold and silver. They have the correct way to do it, if what you want is raw brass or something that can be refinished and lacquered. With a Schilke though, I'd probably be inclined to refinish without stripping and replate it in silver. That was the intended finish from the factory.

My 2p.
https://yourbrass.com/
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very cautious about having the silver plating removed by anyone that doesn't have extensive experience in doing that with musical instruments.

In addition to the surface silver plating, it is possible (likely?) that some of the major solder joints were done with silver-bearing solders. And you don't want any of that silver to be removed by chemical or reverse electro-plating methods.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I'm going to let it flake away for the time being and decide whether I'd like to go raw eventually.

I hadn't considered that the joints might contain silver. Has anyone seen a raw Schilke? I've searched google but can't find any.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donjon wrote:
Very interesting. I'm going to let it flake away for the time being and decide whether I'd like to go raw eventually.

I hadn't considered that the joints might contain silver. Has anyone seen a raw Schilke? I've searched google but can't find any.

Nope. If they exist, it's because someone paid to have someone strip the silver off.

Although I think you can get a Schilke in lacquer now, all Schilkes were silver plated. Period. Unless you wanted Gold Plate. No raw brass and no lacquer.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

Yes, I too have had Anderson strip plating, both gold and silver. They have the correct way to do it, if what you want is raw brass or something that can be refinished and lacquered. With a Schilke though, I'd probably be inclined to refinish without stripping and replate it in silver. That was the intended finish from the factory.

My 2p.

+1. This is the correct answer. I have a horn that was replated without completely stripping. It is my "daily driver" C trumpet and the silverplate from Anderson came out beautifully.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripping silver is done with a reverse electro plate. Andersons does this for us, which then requires finishing work. If your horn has nickel silver parts (your Schilke is all brass) never have the plating stripped as the process with etch the nickel silver and ruin tolerances on the nickel silver parts.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thomasmarriott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Donjon wrote:

Nope. If they exist, it's because someone paid to have someone strip the silver off.

Although I think you can get a Schilke in lacquer now, all Schilkes were silver plated. Period. Unless you wanted Gold Plate. No raw brass and no lacquer.

Mike Olmos in San Francisco plays a lacquered Schilke that came that way from the factory. It was built for the US Army. Very rare, but they are out there.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I would be very cautious about having the silver plating removed by anyone that doesn't have extensive experience in doing that with musical instruments.

In addition to the surface silver plating, it is possible (likely?) that some of the major solder joints were done with silver-bearing solders. And you don't want any of that silver to be removed by chemical or reverse electro-plating methods.

Jay

Stripping plating, in the way that Anderson does it, poses no problem to solder joints. There are points that have high temperature brazing solders that may contain silver, but they are unaffected by stripping.

I have a Conn 28B from the 20's that had gold plating. The original owner must have played a lot, as it was pretty trashed. So I saw the logical thing to do was to have Anderson strip the plating so I could get a clean finish on the metal. It worked really well, and there was both brass and copper on the horn.
-Lionel
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasmarriott wrote:
Mike Olmos in San Francisco plays a lacquered Schilke that came that way from the factory. It was built for the US Army. Very rare, but they are out there.

Fair enough!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the B1 look like a sort of yellow brass colour throughout?

Any pictures out there guys?
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally called Andersons about this specific matter several months ago. They told me that the process could be done with a sort of reverse electroplating process and that I should make sure that there are no nickel silver parts of the horn or the horn could be damaged during the process. It's your responsibility to check if your horn does contain nickel silver parts.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Andersons strip silver off an Olds Recording for me. Came out very nice.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
Stripping silver is done with a reverse electro plate. Andersons does this for us, which then requires finishing work. If your horn has nickel silver parts (your Schilke is all brass) never have the plating stripped as the process with etch the nickel silver and ruin tolerances on the nickel silver parts.

I am planning on sending my LA Benge to be stripped of its silver. Are there any nickel parts in those?
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
J. Landress Brass wrote:

I am planning on sending my LA Benge to be stripped of its silver. Are there any nickel parts in those?

No, 100 percent yellow brass.

One word of advice - leave the finger buttons alone or have them hand-finished. The pearl could be damaged by the strong acid solution.
And keep the pistons as well, just send the valve stems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: