• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Rising Tide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: A Rising Tide Reply with quote

I have a new blog post about playing with great lead players and drummers, and more. Thank you for reading.

https://nikolatomic.com/nikolas-musings/2019/6/12/a-rising-tide
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Walter White! Reply with quote

That's funny to me because before I even finished reading your first blog sentence I was thinking of how I had the same experience working with Walter White... lo and behold the next sentence revealed that Walter was who you were referring to! He would single handedly elevate the whole band to a higher level on every gig!! What a pleasure listening to him play!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add - this goes for classical performance as well. Although I'm mainly a jazz player, I come from a classical background, and my scattered performances with great orchestral musicians - be they percussionists, other trumpet players, conductors, or any other instrument - are also as profoundly inspiring as it can be playing with the great jazz musicians.

I've watched YouTube videos where musicians like Wynton or Clark Terry sit in with college combos during master classes or conventions or whatever. It's crazy how just a few notes into it, their performance and sense of time is so incredibly strong that you can hear the rest of the group spontaneously adjust and "enter into" their time feel. Instantly, they raise the level of those around them. It's clearly audible, and you know the feeling from when you've had the delightful opportunity to play with the greats.

I enjoyed your blog post about this, as it was an opportunity to remember those times when I've been lucky enough to play with musicians of that caliber. And you never know the next time it will happen - maybe the next jam session you attend, you'll get on stage with a monster! Be prepared, folks, and don't have too many beers before you jump on stage. Ha!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Walter White! Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
That's funny to me because before I even finished reading your first blog sentence I was thinking of how I had the same experience working with Walter White... lo and behold the next sentence revealed that Walter was who you were referring to! He would single handedly elevate the whole band to a higher level on every gig!! What a pleasure listening to him play!

Didn’t he cook meth. on Breaking Bad?

Seriously that’s someone who flew under my radar. Can you point me to some sound clips? I don’t think that trait is limited to music either. Greatness elevates performance of peers in every walk of life. But GREATNESS of that caliber is very rare IME.
Rod
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great blog post and so absolutely true. Even in a small combo setting the presence of a markedly better player has always made my own playing better. It tool a bit before I was able to let go of my reticence to play in the same space as a great player - ego has its way, doesn't it? Once I was able to just let go then, wow, what great experiences I have had!!

I LOVE the expression "chronically dissatisfied". That is a trumpeters domain, for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: