• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: No sound Reply with quote

I've been playing for a couple years without braces, then braces, and finally without them again for a little over a month. I have a problem with just buzzing anything; nothing comes out. I think I have a fatal flaw in my technique. Help
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a teacher. No one can possibly know exactly what is going on, let a lone suggest the correct solution and course of action from the description you give.

Do yourself a favour and go pay out the cash, or mow the lawns or something, for some lessons. It will repay you many many times over.

cheers

Andy
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: No sound Reply with quote

brumpet wrote:
... and finally without them again for a little over a month. ...

-----------------------------------
Are playing successfully now?
If it's just that you haven't been able to 'free buzz' (or even mouthpiece buzz), I doubt that is a real concern, as long as your actual playing is in decent shape.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound Reply with quote

brumpet wrote:
I've been playing for a couple years without braces, then braces, and finally without them again for a little over a month. I have a problem with just buzzing anything; nothing comes out. I think I have a fatal flaw in my technique. Help

You're pretty new around here so you probably don't know many of us. I'm a retired professional trumpet player (30+ year career spanning America and Europe) and studied with a famous player/teacher named Claude Gordon for many years. I now give Skype trumpet lessons and charge $75 per lesson.

In your case, because I can sympathize (I went through the pain of braces, too), I'll get together with you on Skype for a free session to help you sort things out. Nothing of what you wrote sounds in the least bit insurmountable. Click on the e-mail button down below if you'd like my help.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound Reply with quote

brumpet wrote:

Coupled with some instruction I'd say that you might want to examine ways of getting softer flesh of your embouchure vibrating with the blow. Both our upper and lower lips contain stiff and soft flesh. This softer flesh is generally found more on the inside of our lips. Thus the reason some teachers advocate a rolling out of the lips.

For those who pedal tones work well for you might give them a try. It isnt force so much which induces high note production (although many good players do actually jam and press a lot). Instead it can help to build the most efficient embouchure possible. Aling with this better embouchure is the use of very soft upper lip flesh as a vibrating medium.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Trumpet239

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been experiencing a similar problem. I believe the cause of this was tensing my top lip too much which didn't allow it to flap in the wind and not giving enough focus/attention to the air/wind.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and I have similar points of views since we studied with Claude. I suggest you read some of the free articles on my site and my ebook with good text and illustrations and a couple hours of video of Claude Gordon, who is very concise and clear in his teaching.

Here are two links to visit.

https://www.purtle.com/jeff
http://www.hitithardwishitwell.com

Look for the articles on my site.
If you are at ITG Miami please find me and call my cell and I would be glad to pull you aside for a free lesson to help with things to make it all more simple. Don’t worry. Worry is a bad thing. It’s not as hard as you might think. Just focus on learning how to practice smart and enjoying proper practice.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No sound Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
brumpet wrote:

You're pretty new around here so you probably don't know many of us. I'm a retired professional trumpet player (30+ year career spanning America and Europe) and studied with a famous player/teacher named Claude Gordon for many years. I now give Skype trumpet lessons and charge $75 per lesson.

In your case, because I can sympathize (I went through the pain of braces, too), I'll get together with you on Skype for a free session to help you sort things out. Nothing of what you wrote sounds in the least bit insurmountable. Click on the e-mail button down below if you'd like my help.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Take the free lesson from John.

Pete
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you are having trouble "buzzing". Do you mean making a tone on the trumpet or something else?

The instrument ONLY is what you should be using right now, and nothing else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: