• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The One That Got Away...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: The One That Got Away... Reply with quote

...And Then Found Its Way Back Home

It was a King Silvertone, and I bought it here at TH from King Leopardi. He's been great to deal with; I think I've bought three or four horns from him over the years. Anyway, one of the trumpets I purchased from him was a King Silvertone with a birthdate around 1950. Nice horn, I thought; a couple of dings but no major problems (as expected; King Leopardi is very straightforward as to what he's selling). It was a good horn; nice valve action, great compression, solid bell, good slides...For a vintage horn - quite a solid, respectable piece of history. I bought it in early 2015; it was a nice, actually very nice, 65-year-old trumpet. A lot (but not all) of the Silvertone's were built with what we'd probably call a small bore or medium-small bore, around .448". This one had a good blow, too. I'm not a power player and that bore size horn, in vintage horns particularly, really works well for me. I remember saying (in a Youtube video review of that particular trumpet [linked below]) that I could even squeak out a double high C fairly often on that horn. Frankly, with that range on that horn, I should have known it was a keeper for me; but no. I didn't figure it out until later.

If I were a fisherman, you'd call me a 'catch and release' guy. I buy horns, often vintage, get acquainted with them, do a video review of them, post it on Youtube, and then resell them. I'm not trying to make huge money but I don't want to lose money, either. I enjoy the opportunity to get acquainted with different horns, share what I learn about them and their playing characteristics, and then resell them. So, as is my usual habit, I played around with this particular King Silvertone trumpet for a few months and then listed it here at TH. The trumpet sold to David Ross, who has also bought a few other horns from me over the years. Like the purchase with King Leopardi, I think the transaction was nice. Now David owned a nice slice of history.

Well, I'm not getting any younger (the ripe old [?] age of 58 at present) and as I look down the road of life, I've decided that I want to keep a few nice vintage horns - and one of the nicest I'd had was this King Silvertone, so I emailed David and he agreed to sell the horn back to me - at the price that I'd paid for it (I thought this was nice of him; it'd been about three years and nice vintage horns aren't getting any cheaper). So, I've got the trumpet back, as of today (four years after I sold it), and I'm just as happy as can be.

Like a dummy, I had let a very nice horn that fit me quite well (and is imminently collectible, in my opinion) get away. But it found its way back home. Now, once again, I'm the proud owner of a very nice 1950 King Silvertone; for me, it's THE King Silvertone. MY King Silvertone.

I'd guess that over the last 15 years I've had no less than 175 trumpets, cornets, flugelhorns, and trombones. I'm not sure what you'd consider the top tier of collectible horns, but I'm fond of horns with unusual bell material; particularly copper and silver. While a good brass-belled horn is great, they're not really rare. I've got a '39 Conn 12B that I'm fond of; it's one horn I think I'll be keeping; the bell is coprion. I'll be putting out a video before too long comparing my '39 Conn 12B with its copper bell and my King Silvertone with its sterling silver bell from 1950. I've also got an Olds Special cornet from around '60 that I just can't get rid of; my son and I worked and worked and worked one weekend when he was about 8 (while my wife and girls were out of state on a Brownie trip); we finally got the ugly, filthy lacquer stripped from the cornet, but not before my knuckles were literally bloody (cornets, with their tight, core wrap, are quite a pain to remove lacquer and polish well). With its nickel-silver bell and bronze tip - this Olds Special is indeed special; it produces a very nice tone and it's another keeper for me. Besides, it has sentimental value; with my son's help and our time working on it together. I had an Olds Recording cornet for a while and compared it to my Olds Special (that's another of my Youtube vids) and I think this Special compared quite well. In retrospect, I'm really sorry I sold the Recording cornet but my Special is a keeper. I once told my son (a little joke, I thought) that I sold the Olds Special cornet; he was crushed; bad humor - bad Dad day.

Of all the horns I've had, though, the King Silvertone from '50 is the only one that got away...And then found its way back home.

Below is a link to the first Youtube I did of the '50 Silvertone; this was in March of '15, just over four years ago. I'll try to link another Youtube before long; it'll feature the Olds Special cornet with its nickel-silver and bronze-tipped bell, and the '39 Conn 12B; certainly my faves - they're not going anywhere soon either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_076FaYJm4
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story! Glad you got the keeper back, this time I’ll bet you keep-her!

I am fairly recently appreciating the vintage horns as well, especially Olds. I don’t know if it’s construction, materials, nostalgia or a combination of those, but I’m really liking some of the more “mature” horns.

Brad
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad; Thanks!
I had an older brass tech once tell me that the present brass used in most horns manufactured today isn’t the same quality as the 50’s and before. Not sure about that personally but it’s an interesting thought.
I will say that this King Silvertone has a very nice, even scale. Zig thought the vintage Kings were very well designed. Of course, he was very respectful of Foster Reynolds (?) who had spent some time with King before leaving and establishing his own Reynolds brand (his Reynolds horns seem similar to some of the Olds horns, where he eventually worked before passing on).
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: