• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary trumpets on Ebay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidanolesen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Rotary trumpets on Ebay Reply with quote

I just so happened to be in the market for a good (yet inexpensive. Not exactly willing to pay $4-5k for a new Schagerl or Scherzer) rotary valved trumpet.

Hopping around Ebay, I've stumbled across some used $100-$300 old rotary horns (I.E Lidl) but am very unsure of the quality and trustworthyness of sellers (as a great deal are from other countries).

Has anyone ever purchased rotary horns on Ebay (or even any horns for that matter) with good luck and if so, what are some good brands to look for???

Many thanks.
dmamazon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is SUPER hit or miss on rotary trumpets. I trialed some from a local store...a Lidl from god knows when. Didn't play well at all. Ended up buying a brand new "Schiller" Bb but am super unhappy with it. I learned how to play it...but lesson learned.

I hear the Wessex rotaries are good...albeit from the same factory as the schiller.

If you are buying a rotary to audition with then spare no expense. In my limited playing time with them they are all VERY mpc temperamental and require a completely different approach. That being said I can't wait till I have enough disposable income to buy a decent one...they really do "scratch and itch that you can't reach" lmao! Not to mention Beethoven, Brahms etc all sound better on them:)
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought several old Rotaries from ebay seller g.mu6 in the $100-400 range, all have required work, dents, broken soldered joints, stuck slides, some with makers names, some unbranded, can be fun if you can do your own repairs, most not worth putting more money into.

I have found they play better with a carefully fitted mouthpiece to the leadpipe, the older ones do not have a standard taper, more like the german flugels.

Have not looked at the Chinese rotaries at around the same price, they may be a better buy.

Regards, Stuart.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary trumpets on Ebay Reply with quote

aidanolesen wrote:
I just so happened to be in the market for a good (yet inexpensive. Not exactly willing to pay $4-5k for a new Schagerl or Scherzer) rotary valved trumpet.

Hopping around Ebay, I've stumbled across some used $100-$300 old rotary horns (I.E Lidl) but am very unsure of the quality and trustworthyness of sellers (as a great deal are from other countries).

Has anyone ever purchased rotary horns on Ebay (or even any horns for that matter) with good luck and if so, what are some good brands to look for???

Many thanks.

If you're looking at eBay then you've seen the number of Scherzer horns that are being sold on there at a fair price, still not cheap, but better than the $4-5k on a new horn, however definitely not close to the $100-300 range you mentioned. Those old horns I don't believe would be worth pursuing. If you keep an eye out you can could find a good brand name horn for a good deal on eBay, reverb, austin custom brass or even TH. I was in the same boat as you are for maybe 2-3 years before I seriously starting looking to picking up a rotary. I ended up with a used (very good condition) Ganter G7a Bb which I've very happy with. I first wanted to find a cheap way of getting one with the hopes of getting better and buying a new one. For what I want to accomplish as a tpt player buying a $4-5+ rotary was not prudent. I was fortunate to find a quality horn for a good price. Keep your eyes peeled, something is bound to come up.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old horns like those Lidls can turn out to be everything from good to bad. I started my rotary career on the top end Lidl, a Prim Super, in 1996 and eventually sold it due to poor valves and even poorer intonation - even with the third slide fully extended low C# was still sharp.

Some people on the German Trompetenforum like them for Bavarian brass band music in the beer tent. Those are loud and strenuous 5 + X hour gigs with lots of drunken people around, instrument cost may be a real issue but on the other hand you need an instrument that allows you to play those gigs.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 436 rotary. You can count on it being a decent playable instrument. If you buy a cheap rotary, chances are it will be so bad that you won't be able to use it.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious about actually playing it in a concert then you need to save your money and wait for a used Monke, Ganter, Scherzer, or Yamaha; even though some of the older ones are fairly doggy.

The newer high end rotors being produced today are less sensitive to (but not totally accepting of) mouthpiece choice and you might be able to get away with using your normal piece, but any of the older ones will almost demand a german one made for playing rotors. I used a Ganter G3a and it was awful when I used a piece I thought would be good for it (1X rim, 5B underpart with 24 throat) the tuning was always awful and it didn't sound or play quite right until I got a Josef Klier 4B.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be on the look out for a good brand name use horn on the market: Ganter, Yamaha, Scherzer, Monke, Lechner, Thein, Dowids, Schagerl, Wiemann, Miraphone, Cerveny, B&S. There are a few that I've missed not because they are not worthy brands, but because I don't have every make memorized. Some you will find frequently and others less frequently. One thing I learned through the process of finding my sidewinder is that some brands (based on design and dimensions) are better suited for orchestral player while others fit the band oom pah pah style.

Thomann Music has a section where they sell rotaries. They have their in-store brand rotaries and a yamaha model that sells 1,500usd. You do have to consider import tax if you bought overseas.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BUYER ASSUMES THE RISK OF ONLINE SHOPPING.

You have to spend $2000-infinity to get a keeper in good cosmetic condition. No guarantees that any price is a good trumpet for you.

I have bought several on Ebay, one which was a beater. I really didn't like the old 60's B&S I got for $180. There was broken soldering and it didn't play without soldering and a good valve cleaning, and other work. The seller refunded the amount of the repair so I broke even.

I got a Monke that I still have, as well as a Schmidt that needed significant cosmetic work. At least with brand name you have a chance at it holding its resale value if it doesn't work out.

I would look at Ebay Kleinanzeigen in Germany. The germans specialize in rotary trumpets and there are several student/beginner makes you don't see here, and probably play like junk too. I bought an interesting Schagerl that played well and I ended up selling. I took a huge risk sending a wire transfer, even to a reputable brass shop. If they screw you, what can you do? Some private sellers will ship. Some will accept PayPal. If you buy from a private seller, be very wary of bank wire transfers.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an online shopper by any means however I did overcome at anxiety in order to purchase a horn from a private seller on TH. I did my due diligence: read up on the seller/buyer policy of the service I would use, asked questions about the horn, double checked, figured out shipping/tracking, etc. Once I was satisfied with the whole process I pulled the trigger and now I have a great horn that I'm pleased with. That being said, am I going around buying a bunch of horns from private sellers?!?! No. I don't have any plans on buying horns online from a private seller unless I were to stumble across that once and a lifetime horn that I really really want. And, again, I would do my homework. All that to say, do your homework (have all your I's dotted and T's crossed) and if you believe that is the horn for you it is worth it. If you can deal locally to try the horn, great. If you do a search on TH you will find lots of useful information regarding the rotary trumpet. I relied heavily on the wisdom of THer's to make an informed decision on the horn I ended up purchasing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: