• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thane Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrms
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Thane Trumpets Reply with quote

I got the opportunity to visit Logan at his new shop and play some of his horn’s this last week. It’s really difficult to use words to describe the sound of trumpets. Particularly when I am on the wrong side of the horn to hear. That being said, here’s how it went and what I thought of those horns.

The workmanship on all of the ones I looked at were impeccable. Beautiful workmanship everywhere you look. I am looking to replace my two main Bbs with one horn. Those two horns are a Schilke B3 and a Bach 25 LB. So I’m looking for a versatile horn that will be as comfortable in a quintet as it will be in in New Orleans second line band. I had the Bach with me for this trial.

I played the custom series with a 37 type bell profile. This has a two piece valve set made in Germany. This horn has a very stable and extremely even blow over the entire range of the horn. Nice sound, great intonation.

Then I played a standard 72 type bell profile. This horn has Carol brass valve set. I really liked how this sounded in both dynamic extremes. It was easier to color then the first horn, maybe not as Teutonic. This one suits me quite well. Logan did not have this bell with the German valves. I’m going to wait until I can play this bell profile with both valve sets back to back.

Listening to Logan play these horns was a revelation. I’m sure that I’ll sound just like that 😀. I’ve played his personal Thane before this visit, and really liked that as well. I think that one has a Carol brass bell on it. I don’t think that’s going to be one of his production horns.

My 25 is much more directional than either of Logan‘s horns although the 37 type profile is more directional then the 72 type. One of the most obvious differences between my horn and the Thanes is that my Bach needs more finessing. I’ve been playing this horn for so long, I didn’t notice how much I was doing that.

Anyway, there’s my report. I’m pretty excited about getting a horn
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the statement about the Bach needing more “finessing”. That is exactly what I experienced when I compared my 1992 Bach with my new Martin Schmidt horn. The Bach is perfect for big band and rock/pop but it is harder to play in tune. On the Schmidt the notes just sit there and playing it is just soo much easier. Thinking of replacing my piston Bb, C, Flügel, and Bb bass trumpet. Donations anyone 😂?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding these horns. They look great on Facebook. Keeping a close eye on Thane trumpets. Waiting to see when he starts making flugelhorns. :D
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DJtpt31 - being Swiss I could not help noticing you spelled Switzerland wrong in your signature 😂
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Hey DJtpt31 - being Swiss I could not help noticing you spelled Switzerland wrong in your signature 😂

I cannot spell... and I call myself a trumpet player 😅
Wrms
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new horn!
I have a brand new Bb trumpet budgeted every thirty years or so.

In my original post I had narrowed my choice to the slow taper (72ish) bell.
After comparing the Thane Custom to the Thane TS101 I chose the Custom w/the two piece valve casing, slow taper and gold brass bell. The TS101 was very, very, very close. I would have been happy with either. I liked the sound of the spaces between the notes (!) better with the custom.

It plays fantastically. I love the sound I get. The tone is warmer then my Bach and Schilke but is pretty easy to light up. The slots between the notes are pretty much what I want. They’re not so tight that I can’t bend notes and not so loose that I can’t center a pitch. It seems to be very versatile. My existing upper register is cleaner, clearer, more stable, better in tune and easier to play. The horn is so much better then my former daily drivers (Bach 25 and Schilke B3). People with ears that I trust are also impressed. Great stuff!

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: