• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

endurance and age

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later you have to play more efficiently. Too many overblow and it catches up with them. I’ve gone from playing Benge MLP’s and CG’s and mouthpieces with 23 throats in them to the 8310Z, 1600i and the Conn 38B as well as mouthpieces with 27 throats over the last 40 years. My range is better, endurance is a question of pacing yourself better.

As far as glasses, I never use progressive lenses to read music. I have a prescription for reading music specifically. I do a lot of sight reading gigs so I can’t chance missing stuff with the progressives. I don’t even like driving with them. I use distance prescription sunglasses while driving during the day. The progressives are great for reading printed text, but when you have to move your eyes all over a few pages of music...

Pete
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
There is a saying, ‘you are only as old as you feel’. You are also as good a player as you feel, believe and work.

For those who are convinced they are losing lung power (huh?) etc, maybe as some have mentioned, being more efficient, in YOUR playing, not your tools will see dividends.

100% AGREE .. at 58 I am playing the largest equipment that I have ever played and have found over and over again ... it is the time put in practicing that matters the most. I am not even a "weekend warrior" as I have not been able to play out on any gigs in probably twenty year due to my second shift "day gig." I believe that it is more finding the balance of equipment that fits YOU as an individual and then just quality practice that counts. I play better at 58 than I have ever played in my entire life.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 81 and still play with three groups. As you get older you will find that nothing works as well as it used to. While I can handle the parts I play, my endurance and range have decreased. You may also find that medical issues may cut into practice time. I had a femoral bypass in January and along with an infection that set in missed three months practice. I am back to almost where I was, but as you get older, these things will occur. But I still enjoy playing and have often made the comment that the only things keeping me going are my trumpet and my wife--not necessarily in that order.
geigerjt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still always amazed by Doc Severinsen when thinking about age and playing, he's a great example so nothing much more to say. Except, has anyone suggested yoga? I'm sure at any age it not only helps breathing but core strength as well.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I am amazed by all the people who say, if I did lung exercises or went to the gym and practiced more I shouldn't feel the need to go to a smaller bore horn.
I currently play lead with a big band performing arrangements by Don Sebesky,Willie Maiden,Bill Holman,Frank Foster,Ernie Willkens, arrangements recorded by Buddy,Woody Doc,Basie etc.. I don't see anything wrong with switching from a lightweight reversed lead pipe 468 bore trumpet to a standard weight and lead pipe 460 bore.So I guess it's safe assume everyone who responded is playing on a 468 or larger bore ,lightweight, reversed lead pipe.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with switching from a lightweight reversed lead pipe 468 bore trumpet to a standard weight and lead pipe 460 bore.

So I guess it's safe assume everyone who responded is playing on a 468 or larger bore, lightweight, reversed lead pipe.

Me either, YOU do what works for you ... not what the hundreds of "experts" here and elsewhere tell you that you should do. Bobby Shew among others has stated such. YOU are your own best teacher etc.

I currently play a Schilke X3 (with reverse lead pipe) and a Bach Stradivarius NY7 (that I like a lot better than either of their Commercial Models). I am very comfortable with both horns. Dr. Bill Churchville told me many years ago, you have to find where you want to feel the resistance ... in the mouthpiece cup, mouthpiece throat, mouthpiece back-bore, trumpet lead pipe, valve block ad nauseum. We all a built very different and even within ourselves are constantly changing physiologically due to age and other factors. Some people play larger mouthpieces and smaller bore horns while others play smaller mouthpieces and larger bore horns. Some play smaller everything and some play larger everything.

Lynn Nicholson plays large equipment and (I suppose) he is somewhere in his 60's. Brian MacDonald plays small equipment yet has a HUGE sound. I believe that Roger Ingram's trumpet is a smaller bore instrument and Roger has a HUGE sound. I believe that the 8310Z is a small bore horn.

We are ALL different and there are thousands of factors that make us different in our physiological make up alone. In my amateur opinion, that's why it is most important to find what works for you as an individual.

My thought is that each of us finds what works for us and that's ALL that matters.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murph66 wrote:
I am 81 and still play with three groups. As you get older you will find that nothing works as well as it used to. While I can handle the parts I play, my endurance and range have decreased. You may also find that medical issues may cut into practice time. I had a femoral bypass in January and along with an infection that set in missed three months practice. I am back to almost where I was, but as you get older, these things will occur. But I still enjoy playing and have often made the comment that the only things keeping me going are my trumpet and my wife--not necessarily in that order.

I am 83 .Your story is pretty much like mine, minus the wife : I lost mine to cancer 7 years ago, after which I started playing again after a 50 year hiatus and music keeps me going.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
freimers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Endurance as you get older Reply with quote

I'm 67 and getting back to playing more after retiring last year. I made a couple of failed attempts to get my playing back to a higher level but made it even worse by hurting my chops. Failures were mostly due to looking for shortcuts, like the miracle mouthpiece or embouchure change that would get me screaming like never before. I watched way too many videos.

What got me turned around was watching this video by Jon Lewis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oP08Fh5L9E where he talks about building a good foundation, getting your body into a position of readiness by paying attention to the small things, preparing yourself before you pick up the horn to play, continuous air stream, attacking notes.

I finally sat down in front of a mirror and took a couple of videos of myself playing, just like I do with my golf swing. What a mess! I was now looking at myself as a student and wondering if I would agree to teach what I was seeing. Bad posture, barely taking a breath, no support, too much support, very inconsistent with everything even holding the trumpet. My problems had nothing to do with age.

I'm making progress now that I'm focusing on the fundamentals to build a repeatable, consistent trumpet technique. It's fun and exciting again, I'm sounding better, missing less notes and am playing higher, louder and faster than I was before but with control.

I think if you follow Jon's advice your playing has to improve regardless of age. Endurance, etc., will decrease eventually, but you should still play well enough to perform and enjoy it. Even Doc can't do everything he did 30 years ago and he's aware. The last video I saw of Doc he was playing some solo licks and having fun directing the band, but it was Wayne Bergeron playing lead and doing the heavy lifting. Playing 2nd fiddle at 92 isn't so bad.
Getzen 4-Valve Flugelhorn
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pauly Cohen Reply with quote

Wow - just saw his documentary for the 1st time - mind blown - this guy is a monster, w/ a huge heart !

He is also using what is now referred to as “TCE”. With this technique, one uses almost no air, & literally, as long as your lips & toungue still work & you can literally still “spit“ (or “spit buzz”), you can still do what Pauly is doing at 90+, even of the rest of your body is collapsing, ie: Harry James & Charlie Shavers.

Also - before people start dragging me over the coals for even *thinking* this, Pl remember that back when Pauly learned the trumpet (by word of mouth - from his dad), this was a much more common way of playing brass instruments.

Long live Pauly!
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - yes - getting older certainly can effect your playing in negative ways.

1. Chairs are much harder than they were in my youth... Solution - always take a dense foam stadium cushion. (The backside gets tired before the chops.)
2. Eyes do not refocus quickly. Makes no difference whether I use single vision or progressive lenses. You just can't look back to check the key signature. Solution - pencil in a lot of accidentals and endure the ridicule of younger players. (Yeah kid - someday you will understand.)
3. Not as much muscle strength for support. Slower fingers from arthritis. Solution - move to small bore Conn horns with light valve action.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Endurance as you get older Reply with quote

freimers wrote:

I was now looking at myself as a student and wondering if I would agree to teach what I was seeing. Bad posture, barely taking a breath, no support, too much support, very inconsistent with everything even holding the trumpet. My problems had nothing to do with age.

I hear you, friend. I'm 72, but I was having exactly the same bad habits, especially the inadequate breathing. As I started correcting them, things miraculously began to improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: