• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Elf the Musical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Elf the Musical Reply with quote

Just got a call to sub for this at one of the local theaters in December. Anyone played it?

Based on MTI's site it looks like it is just being released this summer for general licensing in the US and Canada but curious if anyone has any notes from the Broadway or tour productions. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jon
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon,

I've played this show several times! Three national tours, Madison Square Garden (twice, once as lead, once in the 2nd chair), the Kennedy Center for the Arts, Boston, Toronto, and Chicago. It's been very good to me, and it's a fun blow.

In general, the show is very well paced. Some big band style writing that's fun to play, easy to be a real lead player, or sit right on top of the orchestra and play easy. The highest note in the book is an E, and it comes toward the end of the show. It's a show that will suit many types of players. The only song that sometimes throws guys for a loop for a minute is "Nobody Cares About Santa Claus." Some left handed rhythmic writing, but still completely idiomatic and great. Just give that one a look.

Here's a "highlight" reel that the first playing from the 2015/16 MSG run (Pat Stouffer) put together. I'm playing second here, but Pat was a blast to play and hang with, was a great month long engagement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDnUXxr05hE

Let me know if you have any other questions! But you'll have a good time with this one!
Eric
www.ericsiereveldmusic.com
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, that highlights reel was helpful to hear!

My guess is the local theater will be cutting the orchestra somewhat, probably one trumpet, one bone, and two reeds. Just subbed for a night on Newsies a week ago with them and that was what they did with that production.

Looking forward to playing it, appreciate the notes!

Cheers,

-Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: