• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about Peterson's StroboClip Clip-On tuner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Question about Peterson's StroboClip Clip-On tuner Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just purchased a StroboClip Clip-On tuner.
They offer some presets and Sweeteners that cover a large variety of instruments.

I started by choosing the HRN Sweetener mode (HRN = Brass & Woodwind) and clipped it on the bell of my Adams A6 trumpet.

I also have the iStroboSoft Application for the iPad and I tested both side to side.

I was intrigued by the fact that the StroboClip tuner in the HRN Sweetener mode locked in in a perfect A=440Hz just when the iStroboSoft Application for the iPad was showing a low pitch A=435Hz

Which device should I trust?

In order to use the StroboClip Clip-On tuner, I have to open my main tuning slide more than usual (about 7/8 inches) and therefore it is telling me I'm playing a lot high on the pitch. When playing with my teacher, during classes, I usually set my main tuning slide close to 5/8 inches at the most.

Could I be doing something wrong with the way I'm using the StroboClip Clip-On tuner?

I contacted the Peterson company to ask them about this subject and I'm still waiting for their answer. In the meantime, I'd like to know if any of you guys experienced this before and and what's your opinion about what happened to my during this test.

Thank you.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I tested StroboClip Clip-On tuner with the EQU mode (Standard tuning temperament suitable for regular or alternate tunings, 100 cent intervals - no “Sweetening”) and it matched the reading I get with the iStroboSoft Application for the iPad.

This tells me that the iStroboSoft Application for the iPad is using EQU as a standard mode.

But why would the HRN Sweetener mode, that's advertised as being suited for the trumpet, is telling me I'm awfully high on the pitch?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE 2: Very interesting... the HRN Sweetener mode only seem to work properly when playing loose notes (no valves pressed down).
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the iPad version to match the other four tuners I own exactly.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame the tuner if your horn doesn't match it.

Get a signal generator (or find a piano tuner) if you want to test the tuner. A trumpet is probably the last thing you want to test a tuner with.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my horn was tuned at the factory!
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Get a signal generator (or find a piano tuner) if you want to test the tuner. A trumpet is probably the last thing you want to test a tuner with.

I'm not blaming the tuner at all.
If the tuner offers a specific setting for brass instrument, I'd like to receive more information about it regarding the way it actually determines the intonation. This is not on the manual, so I'm asking whoever owns a similar device.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Snark and can't stand it. built cheap and can't calibrate it for trumpet.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website says that the horn setting is "just intonation" with 5th, 4th, and major and minor 3rd settings for each key. There is not a way to which key you want, so it must automatically chose a key. Sounds iffy.

I have found that if you use an equal temperament tuner while recording it sounds good. You don't really keep that thing exactly on the zero anyway, and you ear gets you the rest of the way to where it pops. The tuner just is there to make sure no really weird issues start happening.

I like the person app on the iPhone sitting on the music stand while recording. The display is big in the corner of your eye, and the it works its really easy to combine with your ear when reading parts and adjusting on the fly. And then the playback sounds very in tune, and it all seems pretty natural when you do it. When its clipped to the bell its too close for my eyes:)

If you are recording with a horn section, the iPhone still just picks up your sound even though there are other horns right next to you. Works great
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I bought the stroboclip clip from Peterson becuase I was intrigued about the "sweetened" setting for horn players. Was hoping it was an octave stretching scheme which would be quite nice.

Nope.

All it is, is "just" intonation, which only works in one key, and you can't change the key center, or even figure out what the preset key center even might be.
It looks like maybe the key of F, but in any event its a worthless feature for horn players. So much for that.

The upside is that in equal temperament mode it works great, and the display is relly stable. But all it is is the iphone app in a a clip on housing and working on vibration. I paid 80 bucks and the retail price was 99 bucks. That is way too much for no usable "sweetener" settings, but I'm going to keep it, and not recommend it with any enthusiasm.

Peterson should be more upfront about the sweeteners settings. I did a LOT of research before buying it. The only way to find anything about the unit was to to try it and compare to the Peterson iPad app. I suppose I could have tried it first for an hour before buying it, but that is kind of..... I don't know, just bought it to give it a shot. Overpriced to say the least, but it does work well in equal temp mode.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a few weeks into the person tuner and I can give a pretty thought review.

The things works just like any tuner, but costs FIVE TIMES more. And the battery only last about two hours. I've gone through like 5 batteries already, and only really used it 5 times. HUH?

Don't buy it. I might even complain to the Peterson company. Its just not good enough. The main selling point of course is the sweetened tuning settings, which are worthless for horn players. That setting is a nightmare, and nowhere in the documentation does it say that is only works in one key. Its a joke, and Peterson is being less than honest selling this thing the way they are. Its just a clip on tuner, that costs a hundred bucks that you have to change the battery every session.

Sucks
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Ok a few weeks into the person tuner and I can give a pretty thought review.

The things works just like any tuner, but costs FIVE TIMES more. And the battery only last about two hours. I've gone through like 5 batteries already, and only really used it 5 times. HUH?

Don't buy it. I might even complain to the Peterson company. Its just not good enough. The main selling point of course is the sweetened tuning settings, which are worthless for horn players. That setting is a nightmare, and nowhere in the documentation does it say that is only works in one key. Its a joke, and Peterson is being less than honest selling this thing the way they are. Its just a clip on tuner, that costs a hundred bucks that you have to change the battery every session.

Sucks

I have the app and use it all the time... Is the app close to this tuner in terms of accuracy and quality?
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app is awesome and when you are recording a loud horn section the iPhone running the app isolates just your trumpet sound every time if its sitting on you music stand. I was doing a session and with the clip on tuner clipped to my bell, every time the Bari player next to me played a low note the tuner registered his note instead of mine. That's with a clip on! The iPhone running the app even beats it for isolation in a section.

A guy from Peterson got back to me to say the battery should last more than two hours.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the iPhone app, and as Trent said, I use it all the time; every weekend. VERY handy.

Brad361
Mnc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Snark which I use only for my guitars and banjo, I don't
believe they are intended for wind instruments. For my horn I use a
Korg which seems to be about the best tuner I have used.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I know, ancient post, but it was one of only a couple google results about this "HRN" mode)

Today I got the StroboPlus HD and also wondered how to use the sweetener for "any key" so I emailed Peterson support. After about an hour they wrote back:

Quote:
The default root note of HRN is C, to change the root note:
Select the Sweetener HRN, hold the selector dial in and rotate it until the Note indicator says C - which is the default root.
Release the selector knob and rotate it to the root note you desire.
The Sweetener name will now flash alternating between the root selection and Sweetener.
The root will be set back to C whenever you change the Sweetener or restart the StroboPlus, it is not saved.

DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Burn...
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayryq wrote:
Today I got the StroboPlus HD and also wondered how to use the sweetener for "any key"

If you want to be in tune in "any key", the answer is to use 12-tone equal temperament: modern tuning. Just intonation and its close relatives are a compromise; achieving a perceived "sweet" sound at the expense of uniform chromaticism, uniform harmonic color in all keys, and compatibility with modern keyboards (acoustic and electronic) and fretted instruments.

A simple modulation by a half-step throws just intonation all out of whack. Even a classic old-fashioned modulation from a minor key to its relative major, a staple of common-practice tonal music, is seriously compromised with just intonation.

On an instrument like a trumpet, fine-tuning each note on the fly, by ear, is an important technique. Some instruments make it easier, with things like triggers and wide slotting. It's good to be able to adjust your pitch to achieve the harmonic "color" that suits the music.

But using a tuner to tune your horn to just intonation in one key can make such fine adjustments more difficult in other keys.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: