• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reflector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reflector Reply with quote

Hello
what is your experience with reflectors, the ones you put on your bell ? have they had some negative impacts (for instance because it'd cut off part of the vibration in the bell) ,
thanks in advance
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ring type around th eoutside of the bell?
they look really weird and sound weird out front. They do throw a ton of sound back to your ears though.

i went back to using a flat clear plastic reflector behind the mic. Even went as far as to rig up a plastic reflector that attaches to my Ipad stand for refecting back sound even when ujsing a clip on mic or no mic, like at a rehearsal.

I play with real good sound engineers and sometimes the reflector is better than anything. I do like the clip-on plus reflector plus floor monitors combination.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflectors can seriously compromise both the frequency response and the pickup pattern of a microphone. It's a bad idea to put any flat reflective surface near a microphone.

Yes, it can help you hear in a loud environment. After years of studying and practicing to get a nice tone, buying a quality trumpet, and choosing a mouthpiece carefully, you might be tossing a lot of that aside in favor a loud sound that sounds somewhat like a trumpet.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i get the effect on a microphone, but its less of a problem with a clip on mic. The reflector is much farther from the mic and does not get out of phase like when the mic pokes through a hole in the reflector.
Still even when the mic is poking through a hole in the reflector the sound is not as bad as you might expect theoretically. And its WAY better than what might come out of your bell when you dont even know IF you are playing a note, or what that note might be, or what the tone quality might be like.

salsa band veteran
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
these are the 2 models to put on the bell i played, the 1st one borrowed to a friend
https://www.brass-innovations-germany.de/en-brass-parts-sonic-reflector-playing-the-trumpet.asp

and this one i bought
https://www.selfiesound.net

Of course i have the one you insert in the mic,
https://www.thomann.de/gb/soundback_adjustable.htm

For years i played an "artisanal" selfmade reflector attached from the 3rd valve pipe (the one where the tuning slide inserts to), but even if results were good, it was not so practical; the reflector to the mic has the inconvenient for reading the music, when you naturally play with a high angle, and must play for aestethical reasons with the stand down.

Te models to the bell seem the better compromise.
But recently during our concert with the Great Andrea Tofanelli, we had a conversation with the french Yamaha responsible present, and both said it was not so good for it cuts vibration, as does the kind of mic clamped to the bell.

So i wanted to have your thoughts on long term use.

many thanks
best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, at times, used this kind of sound reflector. In very loud settings with lots of stage noise, it does provide a little surface to reflect your own sound. Some sound techs have told me that they don't notice an effect upon the microphone, others say it's small enough that it's ok.
I don't like it in all situations, but nice to have. Quite often I notice I prefer it when outdoors, when it's open all around the band - when my accoustic sound doesn't come back to me.

This style has no impact upon the trumpet - anything that you clip onto the bell will change the way the trumpet plays.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trumpet-microphone-reflector-shield-for-live-sound-monitoring-fits-most-mics/223457955689?hash=item340721cf69:g:5cgAAOSwO2hbqAjH
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: