• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Importance of blowing through the middle of the lips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Importance of blowing through the middle of the lips? Reply with quote

Some people like myself play off to the side a little, but I've been experimenting with blowing from the middle ofbthe mouth so that the air flow goes through the front teeth biggest opening right into the hole of the mouthpiece. It seems to keep the air stream like a hose through the horn? Any thoughts?
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't fight mother nature in my opinion. Jon Faddis has the most cockeyed set of chops and is an absolute beast. Maynard played off to one side as well. Just imagine if some teacher decided to try to change their set up.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has to do with lips shape, where the air can pass through in the more free way, and teeth, how stable the mpc can be setted on
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule. I used to play somewhat off-center. I also had a lot of embouchure dysfunctionality. After a long process that also involved altering my teeth by shaving length off the top front incisors to make them even with the adjacent incisors, I moved my placement to the middle and a tad higher, though the horn still tends to point a bit to the left. Over time I've also got the horn pointing more consistently straight ahead as well.

Top teeth are very straight, my bottom teeth a bit less so. My lips aren't what I would consider ideal for playing trumpet - the top lip is pretty full.

I'm a lot stronger player now that I was before I started changing my setup - I have range and power I could only dream of once upon a time which is because I have a setup that feels anchored, it never did back when. It worked out for me but it's not a guarantee it would for everyone.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: