• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The girl next door

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: The girl next door Reply with quote

Circa 1960. Not sure the exact year but is probably close. New neighbors moving in right next door. Too bad that the kid my age is a girl but at least she's five years old. Same age as me.

What was funny about "Sheryl" back then was that like a possesive spouse she kinda nagged me. Which for the first year or so of our friendship kinda pushed me away from her. Would spend my after school hours a whole City block north. Up at good old Fred's house not Sheryl's next door. Lol that Fred, what a crazy kid. Lucky that I moved away in '64. As our Huck Finn type adventures would surely have gotten one or both of us killed but thats another story.

"But Sheryl I don't want to play with dolls".

That's all I need! For Fred or his little brother Wiley to tool down 59th St and see me playing dolls with Sheryl. Sheesh! Even at age seven I understood how peer groups work. Had Fred or his brother caught me playing dolls? It would be all over school by next noon. Never gonna live tgat one down... That ain't happening. By age eight however I started noticing how pretty Sheryl was. And responded by hanging out at her house more often. Besides her nanny made fantastic pizza.

"Can't we just watch TV Sheryl? instead? I really don't like Barbie".

Not even Ken. Heck ESPECIALLY not Ken... As a compromise Sheryl found the channel with "The Adventures Of Superman". With George Reeves. The only real Supernan. Wasn't hard to find the right channel. This was 1962. We only had three stations. Plus the test screen patten..

Gradually my admiration for Sheryl grew. By '64 we were close to inseparable. Then my family moved all the way cross the country. From Portland Oregon to Chevy Chase, Maryland. Never saw Sheryl ever again.

You know young boys, we hate to write letters. Now? Shucks I love to write. I'm obviously writing now. But +not way back when. My mistake. Have always regretted it. Only my brother now long deceased and my sister stayed in touch with the family. So I learned from my brother and sister that Sheryl was crowned the City of Portland beauty princess in her junior year of high school. Hey! I told ya she was pretty. Who knows how fate would have treated us? Yet had our family not moved? Well it's always stuck in my craw what might have been. As Sheryl really liked me. Wasn't til she was gone that I realized how much her friendship meant to me.

I tried to reach Sheryl some five years ago. But she didn't answer my F/B text message. And I even wrote a letter to her big sister. No reply. Since I'd heard that Sheryl and her husband were very successful I figured they probably lived in a gated community. No need to re-friend an old childhood pal. One who keeps playing his trumpet even long after all the good gigs have panned out. I'm happy but I don't have any money. I just accepted the situation and moved on.

I wrote this post tonight or rather this am because of what reason?
Because Sheryl finally responded to my Facebook text message I sent her five years ago. She doesn't do social media. Like lots of us old foggies. So we forwarded family picts. Although in her sixties, like I am?

She's stunningly beautiful. Always has been. I recignized her right off. The End. ..

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: The girl next door Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Circa 1960. Not sure the exact year but is probably close. New neighbors moving in right next door. Too bad that the kid my age is a girl but at least she's five years old. Same age as me.

She's stunningly beautiful. Always has been. I recignized her right off. The End. ..

"She's stunningly beautiful. Always has been. I recignized her right off. The End. .."
The end??...she responded to a message 5 years old!........."always something there to remind me....!". Contemplating your moving recollections I lost myself in memories of longgone encounters, of the third kind..Sentimental Journey!
So what do you mean by "recignizing her"???Apart from the mis-spelling?
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"She's stunningly beautiful. Always has been," rang a bell with me, also.

My first year in college, a H.S. senior was my G.F. who was really pretty. We parted ways, and the next school year, I was at a party and there was a beautiful girl sitting there and I asked a friend, "Who the heck is that!?" It turned out to be my former G,F.!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run into an old girlfriend from time to time. I saw her maybe a month ago. We dated for almost 2 years. That relationship was the longest with the exception of my wife. For the record she broke up with me and it was kind of traumatic at the time.
The funny thing is I see her now and wonder what the hell I was thinking. She's about 60 and thinks she's still 25 by the way she dresses and carries herself. There's nothing with a little vanity and trying to look your best but trying to look and dress like you did in your 20's puzzles me. That's always been a pet peeve.
Men are not immune either. I see a couple of 50-60 something guys at the gym with sleeve tattoo's and red hair dye. They're usually hitting on some young girl. I call that hair dye Frank Gifford red. I sat behind Frank and Kathy Lee at a concert and their hair was the same color! He was probably 75.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: The girl next door Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
The End. ..

The End??? What kind of story is that?? C'mon Lionel, get busy!! Haha! Don't you know any 'snake charmer' licks on that trumpet. How about you record a nice instrumental version of 'I Will Always Love You', put it on youtube and send her a link?? I want to see a 'chapter 2' on this story!!
JPMadison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh... chapter 2?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: