• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hernia recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Hernia recovery Reply with quote

OK, so I know that You probably aren't Medical Doctors, but have any of You had hernia surgery? I was just diagnosed with an umbilical hernia. I am curious as to the recovery time and process(related to trumpet playing). I've got a few big(for Me) gigs coming up as well as marching band season(I'm on staff, but do a lot of demonstrations). Thanks in advance.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
3-Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had inguinal hernia repairs on both sides.

I haven't had umbilical so it wasn't the exact same thing as what you're experiencing, but I can tell you this:

Don't push things and try to come back too early. I waited 8 weeks before trying to honk a note again and I didn't lift anything heavier than a toothbrush for that amount of time. I would follow your surgeon's instructions regarding recovery time and then add a little just to be safe in case you're not as quick a healer as the average person. Err on the side of caution.

I've known many people who have had to have the surgery all over again because they were too aggressive, trying to resume normal activity too early, and they weren't even trumpet players. You don't want to have two surgeries in the same place like that.

I was fortunate enough to have very gifted surgeons on both occasions. It's been 20 years since the repair on the left and 32 years since the one on the right for me. I've never had a problem with either of them and never had to have them re-done. I think letting them heal fully had a lot to do with that.

No gig or gigs are worth risking having to do two surgeries in the same exact spot. When you tear up the muscles that they patched together, then they don't have good muscle tissue to work with the second time around. Don't chance it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two. Groin and Umbilcal several years apart. Both took longer than the Doctors anticipated.. I think they don't get the trumpet part-what they called "recovered" is a couple weeks away from playing trumpet at pre-surgery levels.

One of my surgeries was a "standard" repair, the other was arthroscopic, both with a mesh insert. The Arthroscopic took less time to get back on my feet but not any faster recovery for playing and was just as painful afterwards.

I'd say, for me, it was 2-3 weeks before I felt good enough to begin practicing with only a little bit of pushing - pain and soreness came quickly.
6-8 weeks before I could fully play and longer to do so without feeling it after. I bet for my groin hernia (scalpel type surgery) it was 4-5 months before I was pain free after a rehearsal or concert.

You can't rush it, so plan for as much time as you can.

Fortunately, I was in an Air Force Band for both, though there was pressure to get back to work, my paycheck wasn't dependent upon being at 100%.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
3-Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that my first surgery was open, the second was arthroscopic. I stayed overnight in the hospital for the first one and the next day was brought to the car in a wheelchair. For the arthroscopic, I got up off of the bed shortly after waking up from the surgery, went to the bathroom, and then walked out to the car (got a ride home) and walked into the house with very little discomfort. The arthroscopic was far less invasive and painful for me, but this increases the temptation not to take it easy enough. A day after the surgery is when the pain set in. I allowed the same amount of time for healing before exertion and playing trumpet again.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I'd say, for me, it was 2-3 weeks before I felt good enough to begin practicing with only a little bit of pushing - pain and soreness came quickly. 6-8 weeks before I could fully play and longer to do so without feeling it after. I bet for my groin hernia (scalpel type surgery) it was 4-5 months before I was pain free after a rehearsal or concert.

(FWIW, I'm a physician. And as a disclaimer, I believe the OP is asking about shared experiences. He's not asking for medical advice.)

What zaferis stated is typical of what you might expect. It will likely take 2-4 weeks before you can do some very light playing or buzzing. But it will likely take a good 6-8 weeks (possibly longer), before you can start playing again. Add a few more weeks to this, to get back into playing form. That comes to a good 3 months, and maybe as long as 6 months.

In the end, it depends on the extent of the hernia, how it will be repaired, what other medical issues you might have, and what post-op complications you might have. There are a lot of variables that can impact recovery time.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. TrumpetMD You are correct. I will follow doctors orders, I just needed to hear what other guys have gone through. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but what I expected.
Thanks all.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: hernia recovery Reply with quote

I had an umbilical? hernia done years ago with mesh and four days later I returned to work and lifted two soaked solvent soaked rag bags to send to the commercial cleaner up at the same time. It didn't hurt and one was 85, the other was a tad over 90 so I thought the Doctor was really good and healed fast. A few days later in my apt. I sat down with my trumpet and was going to practice a little. It twinged right from the start. I put things away and waited until I saw the doctor a couple days later. He chewed on my for lifting so much, as "you will explode from the inside you know." Anyway, I would definitely listen to Zaferis and go at things cautiously. In my case the difference lifting with my arms and my core were very evident to me. Whatever you do, be more careful than I was. I had a master's degree in stupidity at one time in life. Let yourself heal and then go!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a double hernia procedure, inguinal, on both sides, open surgery. One of my students was my anesthesiologist and recommended my surgeon - how cool is that?!

I was able to play comfortably within a few weeks at mezzo piano levels of sound no higher than tuning C within a few weeks. It was about 6 to 8 weeks before I resumed normal practice and playing (slowly building my routine up over a period of a month or so in terms of range and length of daily practice).

I suggest you be conservative about this - spending a few extra weeks off the horn will do a lot less damage than starting to play a few weeks too early.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Student Nurse (I graduate in December!)
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one (inguinal) about 10 years ago, and it was pretty much as everyone else has said. Started buzzing/singing within a week, but ... the body tells you what it's ready for. A lot of my gigs were on trombone, so it was a bit easier as that can be done in a more relaxed way, and I taught more concept and comment than example, but ... I got more pain from carrying my horns than from playing them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: