• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Adams A5 Day!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: New Adams A5 Day! Reply with quote

I took hold of an Adams A5 this week from a fellow forum member here and I am so impressed with this instrument (Thank you, Butch!)

I have done all of my lead playing and commercial recording on a Calicchio 1S7 for the past 15 years and decided to look for something newer that shared some of the characteristics of my Calicchio... enter the A5.

I have not yet tried any classical work on this horn, but as a commercial horn, it is phenomenal. Best intonation of any horn I’ve played, firm secure slots, but malleable, and flexible. It projects beautifully and the balance of the blow makes softs and louds equally accessible in the extreme register.

I have not yet recorded on it, but my initial impression is that it will print to tape very nicely. The intonation will be a dream for working in the studio. Gigging out tonight, it simply produced more with less effort or “fighting” than any horn I’ve played over the past 38 years. My Calicchio has had my favorite commercial sound and blow of the slew of horns I’ve played over the years, but the A5 is a significant step forward for ME... what a beautifully designed instrument!
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Adams are great horns, happy to hear you're enjoying it)
grune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Adams A5 Day! Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
I took hold of an Adams A5 this week from a fellow forum member here and I am so impressed with this instrument (Thank you, Butch!)

I have done all of my lead playing and commercial recording on a Calicchio 1S7 for the past 15 years and decided to look for something newer that shared some of the characteristics of my Calicchio... enter the A5.

I have not yet tried any classical work on this horn, but as a commercial horn, it is phenomenal. Best intonation of any horn I’ve played, firm secure slots, but malleable, and flexible. It projects beautifully and the balance of the blow makes softs and louds equally accessible in the extreme register.

I have not yet recorded on it, but my initial impression is that it will print to tape very nicely. The intonation will be a dream for working in the studio. Gigging out tonight, it simply produced more with less effort or “fighting” than any horn I’ve played over the past 38 years. My Calicchio has had my favorite commercial sound and blow of the slew of horns I’ve played over the years, but the A5 is a significant step forward for ME... what a beautifully designed instrument!

Congratulations. I trialled recently the A5, among other Adams models. Definitely, the A5 stands out for me. Free blowing, so I could develop full power - even the Adams staff were surprised by the power. Easy to play above staff. Comfortable to hold. Perfect valves. Great intonation. The tone is brighter than my Bach, but with depth. It is a GREAT horn. Clearly, the days of dominance for Bach are over. It's on my wish list.
Dutch Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played one and I love it. Loved the A7 and A10 as well.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: New Adams A5 Day! Reply with quote

Hey Jason!!! SO glad you like the horn...I thought you would! Enjoy my friend!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: