• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

iPad/Forscore

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: iPad/Forscore Reply with quote

Picked up an iPad Pro from Ebay and purchased ForScore. Used it last night at rehearsal. I think I'm gonna like this!
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 with Forsocre for at least two years now. It's been the best thing to happen to performing and practicing. I can erase cut sections, use a foot pedal for fast awkward page turns, store EVERYTHING on the iPad so I never need to carry 20lbs of books to practice, and playing outside I'll never worry about a page blowing away!
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the ability to create set lists. I also like the ability to annotate on the music to remind me of key signatures (I sometimes circle them in red!), add conductor "reminders", and just call my attention to difficult passages. I usually "poke in" my music using iWriteMusic and then export to ForScore, but it can import PDFs as well.

Pat
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForeScore is a great piece of software. I use it for our church's brass rehearsals.

I import the PDF director scores and then link the score to a MP3. I then set up the program to turn the pages when the MP3 reaches the end of the page.

After than I use the highlighter to mark the entrances of each instrument. I then find the point in the MP3 that corresponds to two measures prior to the each entrance. I then drop a "button" at each entrance that starts the MP3 at that point.

It makes the rehearsals move very smoothly.
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Forscore had a cloud service! That would make it perfect!!!!!
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No stand lights needed anymore.

I do extensive touchup in Forscore, getting rid of speckles and other scanning artifacts, aggressive cropping and de-keystoning.

It really makes a difference for old man eyes.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use ForScore and the large iPad Pro-very good combination. I especially like the half-page option, which helps with multi-page charts.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new kid on the block called Blackbinder. It has some good features but I think ForScore has the edge because it allows you to take a photo of sheet music and add it instantly.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Forescore with my IPAD pro for years and I agree with what to has been said before.
I just add that I am the only one in my community band to be always ready to play whatever you want while many people waste time to look after missing or forgotten parts...
I tried Blackbinder but do not see any interest unless I completely misssed the point.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I think ForScore has the edge because it allows you to take a photo of sheet music and add it instantly.

To get items into ForScore, I find the camera option in ForScore temperamental. There is a great free app called Genius Scan. You can get it for both the iPhone and iPad, although the iPhone version works better, IMO. I can scan documents quickly and easily, even in questionable light, and bluetooth them to my iPad in just a few seconds. When the iPad receives it, it gives you the option to receive it directly into ForScore.

I've been using my iPad for music for several years. Originally, it was just to be for music only. However, I find myself using it for more and more things. When I travel, I don't even bother with the laptop any more.

Bye bye music binders, and good riddance.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm cheap, and my needs are limited to lead sheets, I chose a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 10" tablet, and I use Mobile Sheets Pro.

While the tablet is a bit smaller than the iPad Pro - and Mobile Sheets Pro lacks many of the incredible features of ForScore - for my modest needs it is perfect. I use the AirTurn stand while on stage.

I went digital because the book for one of my bands got so heavy that it literally destroyed a music stand on stage. Oops. I bought the tablet and never looked back. It's a huge quality of life improvement!

Regarding cloud service - Mobile Sheets Pro and ForScore will both connect to whatever cloud service you choose, correct? My entire life is on Google Drive and my tablet integrates with it seamlessly.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another MobileSheets Pro user, and use Dropbox to load my charts. I have ALL my band charts on my Pro12 tablet, as well as many pdf books from qPress.

I'm curious as to what features Forscore has that MobileSheets lacks? From my casual reading, they seem pretty evenly matched.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jengstrom, The camera option has never failed me.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to using Genius Scan along with Forscore and an 12.9 iPad. I've had that setup for 3 years and love it. Genius Scan lets me convert to B/W pdfs which take up less room on the iPad and lets me correct less than perfect framing of the picture better than Forscore's crop feature.

I picked up AirTurn's Manos stand a year ago which is a great accessory for using an iPad or any tablet as well.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop in Forscore on something that came in via PDF is....okay.

When I have heavy keystoning to deal with, I take a screen capture of said dodgy scan. When you bring it in as an image, you can set the four corners anywhere and it snaps to square. Which also lets you crop at the same time.

Then you can adjust the brightness/contrast/saturation to make a pure black and white and also sharpen everything, which gets a LOT of speckles out.

From there, painting white over any skid marks down to the pixel level and you can get something pretty darn near perfect from a very scabby scan of a scan of a scan of a scan of a scan....
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
From there, painting white over any skid marks down to the pixel level and you can get something pretty darn near perfect from a very scabby scan of a scan of a scan of a scan of a scan....

I cleaned up a part using ForeScore recently and then needed to print a copy. (Someone had written the fingerings over each note in the original making it harder for me to read, especially articulations)

I probably was using a color PDF, and I definitely didn’t convert to pure black and white, but on the print out the cleanups looked like I had dabbed whiteout because the cleanups were whiter than the music.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

I cleaned up a part using ForeScore recently and then needed to print a copy. (Someone had written the fingerings over each note in the original making it harder for me to read, especially articulations)

I probably was using a color PDF, and I definitely didn’t convert to pure black and white, but on the print out the cleanups looked like I had dabbed whiteout because the cleanups were whiter than the music.

I have seen that, where the pdf rendering shows all kinds of artifacts. I have mostly seen this when sharing a marked up pdf to a non-ios rendering, like windows or android.

What you can do in response is take screenshots of the amended PDF and bring them back into Forscore using darkroom. Recrop and the new PDF won't have those artifacts.

It's been less and less as others catch up in their pdf driver versions.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key thing to remember when scanning music for ForScore (or any other use of PDF music, imo) is to scan in *pure* black and white. Not shades of gray or color.

For several reasons. First, it makes the resulting PDF files much smaller on a computer or tablet. Second, it makes for much higher contrast when you're looking at the music. It's particularly nice when dealing with old faded/coffee-stained music, you know the kind that's been sitting in a library for 20 years turning slowly brown.

When you rescan to pure black and white, you get the maximum possible contrast between the music and the background white.

Some scanners use the term "OCR" (optical character recognition) for pure black and white, and use "black and white" to actually means shades of gray, which does not give you the same contrast or small files.
taoduh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ForScore and looked at the foot pedal. It was $50. Uh... is there a cheaper option?
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taoduh wrote:
is there a cheaper option?

Yeah... just touch the screen with your hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: