• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Misophonia anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Misophonia anyone? Reply with quote

Wikipedia wrote:
Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.

My symptoms are triggered by bell sounds, like a triangle or bells in a bell choir, and chewing noises, like the ice cruncher in a current commercial.

The sounds trigger a annoyance at first, becoming anger the longer they continue. Now that I know I have this I can control the reaction but prefer to avoid the sounds.

I first linked bell sounds to anger when a colleague loaned me a CD produced by a world class drummer. I was enjoying the music at work on my headphones and noticed that I was getting annoyed and eventually angry. I took off the headphones to take a break and the annoyance quickly faded. A light bulb went off and I put the music back on again and quickly returned to the annoyance came back.

Just curious if anyone else has self diagnosed. (both my GP and audiologist had not heard of misophonia)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Misophonia anyone? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", was proposed in 2000 as a condition in which negative emotions, thoughts, and physical reactions are triggered by specific sounds.

My symptoms are triggered by bell sounds, like a triangle or bells in a bell choir, and chewing noises, like the ice cruncher in a current commercial.

The sounds trigger a annoyance at first, becoming anger the longer they continue. Now that I know I have this I can control the reaction but prefer to avoid the sounds.

I first linked bell sounds to anger when a colleague loaned me a CD produced by a world class drummer. I was enjoying the music at work on my headphones and noticed that I was getting annoyed and eventually angry. I took off the headphones to take a break and the annoyance quickly faded. A light bulb went off and I put the music back on again and quickly returned to the annoyance came back.

Just curious if anyone else has self diagnosed. (both my GP and audiologist had not heard of misophonia)

Should be variants of this terrible ailment. I get seriously disturbed, to the point that my horn immediately comes down, my face contorts quite involuntarily if my ears detect someone playing out of pitch. Can´t control it - my own playing gets stalled, thoughts of quitting emerge. Thank God I don´t have perfect pitch - however it´s close enough to make me suffer now and then.
Also monotonous bom bom bah bom bom bah radiating from some pop bands aggravates me.
Some voices makes me wanna hit the person displaying them. Arrgh!
I get help from my earplugs......but you can´t wear them all the time.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet instructor in college had perfect pitch and was miserable at times due to it. I know others with pp and they seem fine. I have wondered if perhaps he had a touch of misophonia.

I too find some voices trigger me, but not in person. Mostly voices in commercials that I hear over and over.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago because I didn't know any better, I had an Apple laptop that used to make this annoying little sound from the disk drive, that seriously started to drive me up the wall. It really pissed me off.

Fortunately, shortly (about 8 months after buying it new) it died and I switched over to real computers.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty, Seymor B Fudd, 1jazzyalex please PM me as I have an online suggestion as to where you can share your story of misophonia.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Misophonia anyone? Reply with quote

[quote="LittleRusty"]
Wikipedia wrote:
Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound",

My symptoms appear when I start playing and hear what's coming out of the bell!!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: misophonia anyone? Reply with quote

In my personal case I have had the worst reactions listening to or watching certain celebrity vocalists that can't "carry a tune in a bucket." Cher comes to mind. Now there is a singer that can cause drooling, nervous tics, and unending creases in one's undershorts for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: