• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just a hello from Michigan's Upper Peninsula

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Just a hello from Michigan's Upper Peninsula Reply with quote

Hello!
About three days ago I wandered into our local music store to tell one of the employees, who is also a long time friend of mine, that I had fixed a problem I was having with a used guitar amplifier I had recently purchased from him. He wasn't in the store that day so I just sort of wandered around looking at some things they were putting up for their annual tent sale. Two items caught my eye. An old bugle and an equally old looking trumpet case. I opened the case and checked out the trumpet. It was road worn but everything seemed to work on it properly. So I asked one of the sales people about it and he told me that some lady dropped it off and they weren't going to put money into so they were just putting it out for the sale. I asked how much. He replied, "make an offer." I told him I had no idea how much to even offer for it. He then said, "fifteen dollars for both horns." Couldn't pass it up. When I got home I did some research and discovered that this H.N. White King Liberty 2 trumpet was manufactured in 1936. I felt it was a pretty cool find then. Especially for fifteen dollars! I went back to the store yesterday to get a cleaning kit for the trumpet and my friend was there. He called me aside and said he had something interesting to tell me about the trumpet I had purchased. As it turns out, this horn had belonged to my grade/high school band teacher and that he had recently passed away. He was my favorite teacher from my school days. So now this awesome trumpet has an even better story. In school I played cornet. But I haven't touched a horn since graduating in 1980. I found that I could still muster a scale though after a few times through it my lips told me to go play my guitar. I'm looking forward to re-learning to play this on this horn.

I play melody lead guitar in a local surf rock band here in my home town and am hoping to, eventually, work this trumpet into some of our songs as there are quite a few instrumental surf rock songs with horn parts in them. Of course, I want to play a lot of other music with the trumpet, too.

Ok, well, that is enough of an introduction for me I suppose. I hope to be able to interact with the members of this forum fairly regularly. I'm sure there is a lot I can learn here.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! I go up to the UP to ski. Mt Bohemia's my favorite hill. Best season of my life last year.

That Liberty's a great horn, they did a lot of things right. It requires a specific approach. Look at Jim Manley videos

I also own a Conn 22B made in 1925, and a cornet built before 1905. Lots of fans of old horns on here.
Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Welcome to TH! I go up to the UP to ski. Mt Bohemia's my favorite hill. Best season of my life last year.

That Liberty's a great horn, they did a lot of things right. It requires a specific approach. Look at Jim Manley videos

I also own a Conn 22B made in 1925, and a cornet built before 1905. Lots of fans of old horns on here.

razeontherock,

I'll check out Jim Manley videos for sure. Thanks for the tip. I've never hit up Bohemia though I've heard it is a ton of fun. I used to ski and snowboard (taught boarding for 13 years at some of the local hills here in the U.P. and at Wintergreen Mountain in Virginia).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: