• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Room

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluethunder90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Practice Room Reply with quote

I've been off my horn for several years now and I'm planning my come back. My question is; How do you guy soundproof your practice space to keep from disturbing neighbors and others in the house or building? For the record, I'm trying to figure out how to practice in my apartment. I thought about quilts on the walls and foam over the windows, but I thought I'd see if I could get some ideas from the trumpet community.

"I Walk Through The Graveyard Like Thunder;
Make The Tombstones Quake,
And Set The Dead To Wonder."
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do live alone?

How big is your apartment?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anything other than a major soundproofing would make much difference in an apartment. Surface quilts and foam are not a major soundproofing. You'd have to get inside the walls.

There are "silent" practice systems available. My suggestion is that you look into those.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had anyone complain but I do several things:
(1) I sometimes practice into my coat closet
(2) I try to play the quieter horns unmuted
(3) I play my Bb with a shhmute

It's not a great solution. I've never had anyone complain, but I can sometimes hear a flute student so I'm assuming my sound carries. I remember someone else saying that they play the boring stuff on a mute and the more lyrical stuff out loud. I try to do that too.

I think carpeting and bookshelves do probably help a fair amount. I maybe should see if I could get my wife to check the decibel levels with several different variations.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make friends with the neighbors and find times that work well for everyone. Don’t be timid during those times. Just play.
2. I once made a smallish box that I filled with egg crate foam. I’d stick my bell inside and play freely. It did a pretty good job of keeping the sound down during late night practice sessions
3. Play outside somewhere. Find a park, parking garage, somewhere where you’re comfortable playing and you won’t be bothered.
4. Find the music building at the local college and grab a practice room.
5. Make friends with a church.
6. Depending on the weather, practice in your car. Cops might look at you funny depending on where you park.
7. Observe whatever your community quiet hours are but otherwise just play freely and ignore any knocking that you might hear. People probably won’t knock, but if they do, you don’t have to interrupt your practice time. Practice time should take priority over talking with nosy neighbors.
8. Look up the Phil Smith pillow fort on YouTube.

I’d rank all of the options ahead of using a practice mute. Mostly, I wouldn’t worry so much about it. Most people don’t seem to mind or at least won’t say anything if they do (which is the same thing in my book). Once you play out for a bit, you’ll get comfortable and not worry so much.

A prominent NYC session player was practicing one day in his apartment. His neighbor knocked on the door and asked, “do you really have to be doing that?” The trumpet player said, “yes”, closed the door, and went back to practicing.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is purchasing a soundproof isolation booth. I was fortunate to get one from a friend who lived in a NYC apartment second hand. I've seen them on eBay from time to time. WhisperRoom is a great brand to check out.

https://whisperroom.com/model/mdl-4242-s/
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I doubt anything other than a major soundproofing would make much difference in an apartment. Surface quilts and foam are not a major soundproofing. You'd have to get inside the walls.

There are "silent" practice systems available. My suggestion is that you look into those.

+1

Putting foam or anything on the walls only helps to shape the sound in your environment; it won't stop it from going through walls. You either need to soundproof when building or do some serious remodeling.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absorbers work well at midrange frequencies and up so will work well to suppress trumpet sound. The catch is that sound can still leak through untreated walls, floor, ceiling if not concrete or otherwise soundproofed. But the floor and ceiling don't often get direct sound so are a little less problematic. HVAC ducts are a biggie, however, so it depends upon how your apartments HVAC system is designed. Single-apartment systems may not have ducts to other apartments.

I have played in our walk-in closet, stuffed with (~90% wifely) clothes, and my wife says she can't hear me practicing even with the closet door open (though with bedroom door shut).

I would try picking up a few 2" Corning OC-703 panels and placing them strategically around and behind your stand to create a local quiet space and see what your neighbors think. A friend bought four 2' x 4' panels and placed three in an arc behind his stand plus one across the top in his bedroom and that solved his noise problem with the neighbors. He practiced in the early evening and apartments were designed so bedrooms were adjacent, probably helped that he practiced when folk were not likely in bed. He later added one more panel on the floor to reduce radiation down.

A few inches thickness of absorption will not stop bass frequencies (drummers beware).
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Pampet Mute Reply with quote

Here's the cheapest solution that I've found.

Last edited by mrhappy on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am; edited 4 times in total
Bluethunder90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Do live alone?

How big is your apartment?

Yes, I live alone. My apartment is not small but it also is not huge

Bluethunder90

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
I would try picking up a few 2" Corning OC-703 panels and placing them strategically around and behind your stand to create a local quiet space and see what your neighbors think. A friend bought four 2' x 4' panels and placed three in an arc behind his stand plus one across the top in his bedroom and that solved his noise problem with the neighbors. He practiced in the early evening and apartments were designed so bedrooms were adjacent, probably helped that he practiced when folk were not likely in bed. He later added one more panel on the floor to reduce radiation down.

That's a good idea. I may try that. I've used practice mutes and a Silent Brass in the past but I'm not a fan of them; I play a large bore horn and I can feel the resistance of practice mutes and when using the Silent Brass.

Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in apartment now, but when I did (early Eighties), I practiced with a mute, during the day, when most other people were away. It wasn't an ideal situation, but it seemed to work.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the pre-made practice room and at the $4,000.00 base price, they would only guarantee a 50% sound reduction. To bump it up to around 80% reduction, it would cost a couple of thousand more. Tempting but, in the long run, a little pricey for me.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
robcs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local music store also runs lessons. You can rent out the studios when they're not in use for lessons for a few bucks. They're mostly empty between 11 am and when the local schools chuck the kids out

I do that 1 or 2 days a week and I use a SilentBrass on other days or when I want to practice in the small hours

So, try your local music stores and see what they've got.
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) We don't live in a flat or unit
2) We do have respect for our neighbours and the regulated "quiet times" after 21:00 pm and before 07:00 am
3) I do find that the tone of the horn is not nearly as nice in the house regardless of the room in which practise is undertaken
4) I do have a Yamaha electronic "silent mute" relegated to the "do not use" bookshelves
5) I have a cheapo plastic "wah-wah" mute though I now mostly use a quality Jo Ral bubble mute when wanting to not disturb SWMBO or the neighbours
6) I have found both the cheapo mute and the Jo Ral bubble mute are sufficiently quiet to not bother SWMBO while she is the adjacent room watching TV
7) But there is more ... the tone of both mutes, especially the Jo Ral bubble mute provide very easy-to-listen-to and easy-on-the-ears musical tones.

Reckon, in the first instance I'd be saving my shekels and going for the low cost option of the Jo Ral bubble mute. Just need to remember that i) you're using a mute and ii) for the same volume as an un-muted horn you will need to blow heaps harder.

As others have noted, unless one can seal up every crack and crevice as well as provide sound deadening material around the walls, roof and floor, one could well be chasing an elusive dream and the quality of the sound without the resonance provided by reflected sound will likely be pretty lousy.

BTW, the idea of lining a cardboard box with egg cartons, and the playing into the box sounds like a very cheap and partially effective option.

Enjoy working it out. BTW Don't forget to let forum members know the solution you settled on.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on finding a space outside. Our local elementary school has a sheltered bench by the front entrance and the building is tiled. Outstanding acoustics. People out for their evening exercise often stop and ask me why I'm playing there and sometimes make requests. I was also asked if I would like to join the local drum and bugle corps.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliot - have you tried a Sshhh Mute?

Check out the endorsements: https://www.sshhmute.com/

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Eliot - have you tried a Sshhh Mute?

Check out the endorsements: https://www.sshhmute.com/

Not yet, but certainly something to keep in mind if and when "more quiet" is needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll need to do a bit of "sussing out" down here in Melbourne (Australia) to check it out.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Practice Boxes Reply with quote

I'm considering these two products. Right now I'm unsure where they sell them in the United States.

ELITE PRACTICE BOX
http://elitemic.com/products

MUSICIANS COAT
https://www.phoncoat.com

I believe you would have to use them as part of a solution, like in a clothing closet lined with sound proof panels or foam.

In any case, and I speak as a person who has lived in apartments or rooming houses for his entire adult life, it's tough to find a workable solution when you have neighbors who are intolerant of any noise.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Practice Boxes Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
I'm considering these two products. Right now I'm unsure where they sell them in the United States.

ELITE PRACTICE BOX
http://elitemic.com/products

MUSICIANS COAT
https://www.phoncoat.com

I believe you would have to use them as part of a solution, like in a clothing closet lined with sound proof panels or foam.

In any case, and I speak as a person who has lived in apartments or rooming houses for his entire adult life, it's tough to find a workable solution when you have neighbors who are intolerant of any noise.

Very interesting .... If you proceed with a purchase, please report back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: