• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School Trumpet Advice

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bl2407

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: High School Trumpet Advice Reply with quote

Brand new to this forum and I'm finding a lot of great info. My daughter is a starting high school this fall and I want to upgrade her King trumpet; will be used for marching and concert. The band teacher recommends a Xeno or Bach 37 (of course).
I'm planning to buy used and I've found a Yamaha 5335 for $700–$1000 or a Xeno for $1600. Is the Xeno worth it for a younger player or will the 5335 be easier for her to play and gradually move to a pro horn?

Just looking for any advice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of "beginner" and "pro" horns is used to sell more to people like you, unfortunately.

Andy Harderer has been gigging a Yamaha 3335 despite having a custom Yamaha.

My friend did her undergrad and was offered a prestigious place on a postgrad music college on her TR300 - she had bought a "better" horn but returned it. I have played that TR300 - it isn't that special, but she is. (side note I have played some awful TR300s)

Consider resale value. Bach and Yamaha hold well.

The used market is strong now - Austin Custom Brass will sort you out. Trent and crew are super knowledgeable.

A student of mine had a 5335 - I thought it was a very fine horn.

If you are buying sight unseen I will suggest Yamaha might be better as they are super consistent (in my experience) - a used Bach could easily be a counterfeit horn (common now) or a dog.

I get the inspiration that a new horn brings - so I won't suggest her King is good enough, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. When I was a kid, when I got a shiny new trumpet, I practised so much and took such care of it.

Personally - 5335 can take you through uni if you like. So can a TR300

Good luck!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU

Last edited by bach_again on Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kozzicomma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: High School Trumpet Advice Reply with quote

bl2407 wrote:
Brand new to this forum and I'm finding a lot of great info. My daughter is a starting high school this fall and I want to upgrade her King trumpet; will be used for marching and concert. The band teacher recommends a Xeno or Bach 37 (of course).
I'm planning to buy used and I've found a Yamaha 5335 for $700–$1000 or a Xeno for $1600. Is the Xeno worth it for a younger player or will the 5335 be easier for her to play and gradually move to a pro horn?

Just looking for any advice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

If she's at all serious about playing the trumpet and you're intent on supporting her in this, she should have a private teacher and this question should be asked of the private teacher. Personally, i love yamaha horns and would say go Xeno, but again have a local pro who has seen/heard her play help answer that question.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the horns are necessarily "easier to play" than any of the other horns. I think this is more an issue of what you can afford coupled with the long range objectives of your daughter. If she's planning to continue playing indefinitely and you can afford a pro horn then my advice would be to go for the pro horn.
bl2407

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses. She takes private lessons and her teacher suggested a Xeno or Bach 37 and also mentioned a TR200 for a budget option. I've never played trumpet so researching all of the models can be overwhelming. I'm leaning toward Yamaha and just need to decide between the 5335 and Xeno. She's loves the trumpet so I just want her to have something she loves to play and also gives her confidence.

Thanks agin.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insist on her keeping and using the King for marching season and any other outdoor situations.

If the King is in good working condition, it should be fine for both marching and concert use.
When she progresses to finding actual limitations to the King, THEN investigate (by testing) what actually works better. Using a 'better' horn does not assure being able to play better, nor to making faster progress.

I recently bought a used student horn for 'band wagon' & outdoor concert use - it works fine and plays pretty much like my pro model.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl2407 wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses. She takes private lessons and her teacher suggested a Xeno or Bach 37 and also mentioned a TR200 for a budget option. I've never played trumpet so researching all of the models can be overwhelming. I'm leaning toward Yamaha and just need to decide between the 5335 and Xeno. She's loves the trumpet so I just want her to have something she loves to play and also gives her confidence.

Thanks agin.

A warning to you...

Eleven years ago I was in your situation, looking to upgrade my child's horn (got the Xeno). During the horn safari I was talking about the options at dinner and my son said "Dad, you're way more into this than I am". My wife said "Why don't you learn to play?" I answered I'm a little old for that. She said that was nonsense.

Sooo... here I am eleven years later. I take lessons weekly and practice an hour or more every day, I play in a community band and have been an officer, I play a prelude about once a month at church, and I listen to brass music all the time.

Beware.. you might fall into this trap as well!

Happy hunting.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which King does she now play?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A warning to you...

Eleven years ago I was in your situation, looking to upgrade my child's horn (got the Xeno). During the horn safari I was talking about the options at dinner and my son said "Dad, you're way more into this than I am". My wife said "Why don't you learn to play?" I answered I'm a little old for that. She said that was nonsense.

Sooo... here I am eleven years later. I take lessons weekly and practice an hour or more every day, I play in a community band and have been an officer, I play a prelude about once a month at church, and I listen to brass music all the time.

Beware.. you might fall into this trap as well!

Happy hunting.

I remember several years ago a Dad saying he joined TH in order to research trumpets for his child, and then developing an affinity for reading TH posts and hanging out here. A few of us encouraged him to start playing. I wonder if that was you.

Anyway, I can't think of a better outcome for Trumpet Herald than this.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
bl2407

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's a King 600 she has now. I bought it used when she started middle school and only paid about $250.

JetJaguar - I 'm actually thinking of keeping the king for myself and learning too play. The trumpet is one of my favorite instruments and I keep telling myself "someday I'll take the time to lean"--Could be now.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get a lot of support on here. One or two frequent posters can't resist inserting a put-down in everything they write, but that's life, especially on the net.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with keeping the King (especially if it’s a student model) for marching band, at least for marching band rehearsal.
Try to have her teacher check out the Xeno, even with the price difference, if it’s mechanically sound, that would be a good choice. And basically no horn will be any “easier” for a student. Many of the subtleties in pro horns won’t really be perceived by most kids. PRACTICE AND LESSONS are what matter.

The truth is there are MANY fine horns other than Bach (that TR200 is not in the same league as a Xeno or Stradivarius) and Yamaha, but a high school kid can’t go wrong with either. Plus reselling it locally should be fairly easy if your daughter does not continue. Both a Xeno and Bach Stradivarius 37 are well established and generally well regarded as “all around” horns, which is what a student should probably be using.

Brad
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I agree with keeping the King (especially if it’s a student model) for marching band, at least for marching band rehearsal.
Try to have her teacher check out the Xeno, even with the price difference, if it’s mechanically sound, that would be a good choice. And basically no horn will be any “easier” for a student. Many of the subtleties in pro horns won’t really be perceived by most kids. PRACTICE AND LESSONS are what matter.

The truth is there are MANY fine horns other than Bach (that TR200 is not in the same league as a Xeno or Stradivarius) and Yamaha, but a high school kid can’t go wrong with either. Plus reselling it locally should be fairly easy if your daughter does not continue. Both a Xeno and Bach Stradivarius 37 are well established and generally well regarded as “all around” horns, which is what a student should probably be using.

Brad

Just what I was going to say. The Kings are built very well, quite sturdy and with a slightly larger bore (.462 or .463), make very good marching trumpets especially when paired with a more open mouthpiece.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:

I remember several years ago a Dad saying he joined TH in order to research trumpets for his child, and then developing an affinity for reading TH posts and hanging out here. A few of us encouraged him to start playing. I wonder if that was you.

Nope. That wan't me. It was a more different Dad. There could be a trend here.

Last edited by starkadder on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Band director Reply with quote

I would talk to her high school band director, he may know of trumpets for sale. Ask the director what brands and models are used in his band and mouthpieces.

I agree on having a backup trumpet for marching band.
Getzen 4 B mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e mouthpiece
Bach 5 B mouthpiece
bl2407

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate all of the replies to my post; really helps getting all of this valuable info. I just took my daughter to a local music store and they had a used 1980's Bach 37 for sale; I really wanted her to play a higher end trumpet to see what she thought. Funny, she said it felt like her King only a little louder--but she REALLY liked it (probably because it was silver). Someone posted earlier that the subtleties of a pro horn aren't perceived by most kids--very true. Definitely want her to have an instrument she is excited to play and I'm always happy to invest in music so I'll keep shopping for the right deal. Thanks again.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl2407 wrote:
I really appreciate all of the replies to my post; really helps getting all of this valuable info. I just took my daughter to a local music store and they had a used 1980's Bach 37 for sale; I really wanted her to play a higher end trumpet to see what she thought. Funny, she said it felt like her King only a little louder--but she REALLY liked it (probably because it was silver). Someone posted earlier that the subtleties of a pro horn aren't perceived by most kids--very true. Definitely want her to have an instrument she is excited to play and I'm always happy to invest in music so I'll keep shopping for the right deal. Thanks again.

And then there's the other issue these days. The kid shows up with brand X and everyone else plays brand Y and the kid is made fun of. They then come home saying they want brand Y.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the King for marching. As far as brand specifics I can say this from experience. Bach is not all it used to be. They have been inconsistent so I'd recommend she try several brands. Lately I've taken to Getzen, often overlooked but they are still hand made in the USA and the valves carry a lifetime guarantee. But also try B&S, Adams, Kanstul if you can still find one, and Schilke. If she insists on Bach then please have the teacher tag along and try several of the same model. A blind test would be best if possible then her ears and comfort playing the instrument will guide her to the best horn for her. There's nothing worse than trying to cram your chops into making a horn work that is not a good fit.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
Bach is not all it used to be. They have been inconsistent so I'd recommend she try several brands.

Then Bach must be really bad since this has been repeated over and over during the fifteen years I have been on here.

Based on my recent reading Bachs have been improving since Ted Waggoner took over. And there are many glowing reports about recent instruments.

But if you are buying used you will probably not run into a recent one at a good price.

One other thing to remember is that almost any horn being sold used is due to the owner finding it no longer works for them. Or not as well as some newer horn. Thus, in my opinion, the gems in any model are less likely to be on the market.
harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
<edit>Regardless of the brand and model<end edit> please have the teacher tag along and try several of the same model. A blind test would be best if possible then her ears and comfort playing the instrument will guide her to the best horn for her. There's nothing worse than trying to cram your chops into making a horn work that is not a good fit.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl2407 wrote:

I'm curious about 2 things:

1) Can you bring her teacher back to the store with you ? The teacher would be able to play test the instrument and approve of it in a way your daughter is not capable of.

2) Given that she liked it, why didn't you buy the Strad ? If the price is right, the horn is in good shape, and she likes it...
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: